Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263444 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #5280 on: August 14, 2011, 05:00:48 pm »

Nae problem.
Although I'd save myself some time if I just copypasted from the other 10 tymes I've typed it out ;D
*Hugs*

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: August 14, 2011, 05:08:53 pm »

I downloaded this today and I'm really enjoying it; but I'm not doing so well. I randomly generated a nearsighted character with "pain tolerance" who rarely, if ever, left Intense Pain after getting smacked around by some zombies, no matter how much aspirin I took, any resting done, first aid, bandages, heck, even reading hurt. I'm a bit confused on this, but whatever.

Can a noob like myself get some pointers on how not to die? :U

Your starting house will always have a basement which is (a.) useful as an early shelter, and (b.) which always contain useful stuff, from medicines to melee weapons to assault rifles and ammo. As for useful perks to take: Fleet Footed and Optimist are both pretty much required, the former because it lets you outrun most normal enemies, and the latter because it gives you an automatic, permanent +6 to morale, which means that by default you will always be gaining exp, rather than having to rely on drugs, booze, books and mp3 players. One thing you should pick up early on is a drama novel, because it gives you a pretty good morale boost, which can be useful if you're trying to recover from a serious injury, or if you get wet or something.

Also: Take a high INT score if you want to do anything beyond hiding in houses killing zombies, as a INT of 11 will let you read almost every stat-boosting book, which really helps focus your exp on combat skills.

Another one: Don't eat the mushrooms you find in the woods, because they can give you some wierd-ass hallucinations.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: August 14, 2011, 05:11:43 pm »

Has anyone noticed that if you build a custom char give him strength 20 and some unarmed and dodge skill he's really successful
But can he do anything but smash things?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Laedro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: August 14, 2011, 05:13:30 pm »

Has anyone noticed that if you build a custom char give him strength 20 and some unarmed and dodge skill he's really successful
But can he do anything but smash things?
Well he could explore wich was why I made him and he could butcher and cook a little ;D
OH MAH GAWD I FOUND A CHAINSAW.
It does'nt have any fuel

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: August 14, 2011, 05:20:26 pm »

Hm. Just genned a new world, and my first spawn gave me a missile silo within viewing range. Am I safe to assume that going there would be a fatally bad idea?

3. Run Resize Enable

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #5285 on: August 14, 2011, 05:31:24 pm »

Missile silos aren't that dangerous. They're not really implemented yet, but don't contain a whole lot of stuff either. One I went in had lots of canned food and batteries though.

As far as Optimist, I'd hardly call it required. I never take optimist. I get plenty of xp just keeping my morale up during the day with mp3 players and liquor and such. And you don't HAVE to have a high int to read. Int is good for skill gain, but if all you want is to read a book you can just use stimulants to gain int temporarily.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: August 14, 2011, 05:40:46 pm »

Missile silos aren't that dangerous. They're not really implemented yet, but don't contain a whole lot of stuff either. One I went in had lots of canned food and batteries though.

As far as Optimist, I'd hardly call it required. I never take optimist. I get plenty of xp just keeping my morale up during the day with mp3 players and liquor and such. And you don't HAVE to have a high int to read. Int is good for skill gain, but if all you want is to read a book you can just use stimulants to gain int temporarily.

Actually, I've been wondering about that. Which stimulants boost INT?

3. Run Resize Enable

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: August 14, 2011, 05:53:10 pm »

Actually, I've been wondering about that. Which stimulants boost INT?
[/quote]
Any. That's why they're called stimulants.

To list them, let's see ... Adderall, Cocaine, Coffeine, energy drinks ... probably more but I forgot.
Adderall reccomended, it's plentiful and strong enough.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: August 14, 2011, 06:04:26 pm »

I'd recommend caffeine pills instead.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: August 14, 2011, 06:07:06 pm »

Caffeine pills are a whole lot less addictive, but adderall is stronger.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: August 14, 2011, 06:07:59 pm »

Well my first char just died, killed by a skeleton :(

Are zombies unlimited? I tried to clear out some random house but they seemed like they just kept coming. I thought maybe it was my shotgun (loud!) so I moved to a different house and stabbed them with a knife instead but they kept coming anyway. Eventually I was just too hurt from fighting them so I tried to escape town but there were skeletons who moved faster then me :( The end game screen said I killed 60-something zombies which seems like a lot considering I only lived for a few hours.

Also, how big a deal is encumbered body parts? I was just wearing a hoodie and t-shirt but that was enough to give me an encumbrance of 3 on my torso! I know you can check the effects on the menu but I was not real clear on how big a deal all that stuff was. Similarly, cargo pants alone was enough to give me encumbrance of 2 on the legs. I had 10 str, is that just not enough?

Edit: Guy number 2 just got poisoned from drinking out of a toilet. What's up with that? (and yes, I guess I've played too much fallout to think it was a good idea).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 06:14:34 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: August 14, 2011, 06:13:55 pm »

Str doesn't affect what encumberance items you wear gives you, encumberance is just an effect on your skills and stats and such for wearing bulky clothes and items like backpacks. Too many items on the same slot will increase encumberance even if all the items are 0 too.

Zombies aren't unlimited, they spawn in at an interval based on local populations and how much noise you're making. If you're in an area with zombies they'll also follow your scent trail to reach you, or might also be attracted by the sound of your footsteps. If you set a small fire a few squares outside the door of a house that you enter that will break the scent trail so they won't follow it inside. You can still attract nearby ones just by the sound of you walking around the house and stuff though, and they'll spot you through windows.

Toilets have an 80% chance of poisoning you due to stagnant water.

Also, I seem to recall the items you're mentioning being only 1 encumbrance. You sure you aren't otherwise encumbered? Carrying too much volume also increases it, and so does excess weight.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 06:17:16 pm by Paul »

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: August 14, 2011, 06:25:00 pm »

I might have been wearing the jeans you start with under the cargo pants, but I'm pretty sure I only had the hoodie and tshirt on (I double checked because I was wondering what was up).

Maybe I was wearing something else too, I'm not totally sure, but I don't think so

Edit: well guy #2 just got SWARMED by zombies while reading an economics textbook and eating a box of sugar, including

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Since the only weapon I had was a gun with no ammo and a 2x4 (that came from a door the zombies broke) he promptly was eaten.

They really don't start you off easy do they? heh.... oh well, hope guy #3 fairs better.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 06:40:41 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: August 14, 2011, 07:02:02 pm »

Okay, so the spawner is bugging the fuck out. So far ive had 3 fast zombies, 10 to 15 zeds, a skellie, two wolves, two squirrels and a spitter spawn in my basement with in 15 game minutes. Then a hulk spawned in the middle of a solid chunk of rock, and busted a tunnel all of the way to the basement. What. The. Fuck.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: August 14, 2011, 07:31:41 pm »

Okay, so the spawner is bugging the fuck out. So far ive had 3 fast zombies, 10 to 15 zeds, a skellie, two wolves, two squirrels and a spitter spawn in my basement with in 15 game minutes. Then a hulk spawned in the middle of a solid chunk of rock, and busted a tunnel all of the way to the basement. What. The. Fuck.

What we're you doing? Chucking grenades into the corner?
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 777