Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260301 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #5520 on: August 18, 2011, 04:13:02 pm »

I'll remember that for the next character. Those rotten kids smashed up my beautiful store. I managed to kill quite a few of them with my sledgehammer but there was a shrieker zombie and it managed to attract a shocker zombie. Pity. There were some dead guys with ID cards and bottles of mutagen and stuff in the road just south of my poorly-defended store too.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5521 on: August 18, 2011, 04:26:47 pm »

The map generates MORE when I leave a zone?  That makes this even better!  I too was worried about making a new character in an already heavily used map but now that I know there's a purpose to going into one of the unexplored zones (I hit 'z' so often by accident when I mean to hit 'x' that I don't really consider a revealed map a cheat anymore)

As a bonus, Hank, my longest lasting character to date, had a big well stocked safehouse near one of those borders.  I might just use that as a jumping off point into the great unknown.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5522 on: August 18, 2011, 05:46:20 pm »

So I gather that consuming cleanser gives a permanent stat boost?

Also, to Urist: Groceries, along with all other city/town buildings are at best temporary shelters, as there are usually already nearby zombies, which are then attracted by the noise you make and your smell. In addition, roads prevent you from digging ditches as static defenses, and there are as of yet no ways to make unbreakable barricades, so you will always eventually lose windows and doors, even if you boarded them up. Some of the better options for permanent hideouts are rural houses (cabins in the fields and woods), missile silos, the first floors of labs away from people,  and human settlements (buildings marked with *, walls with x). The last could be considered cheesy, as there are never any spawns inside of them, and there are currently no actual human NPCs, meaning that the large amounts of "owned" loot are free for the taking.

On that same note, if you assemble sufficient traps, you can probably fortify one of the ideal types of non-cheesy safehouse well enough that they are for all intents and purposes nigh-unreachable for zombies, especially if you (ab)use the fasttravel system (which allows you to instantly move from one map square to any other without time passing, often placing you inside buildings, walls, shelves, etc. It is not uncommon to be ported inside bank vaults like this. You can also use it as an unbeatable escape card against all aboveground enemies. In fact, the only real downside is that you tend to find fewer clusters of scientist bodies and trap circles.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5523 on: August 18, 2011, 06:15:57 pm »

Did headswe give up on windows version?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #5524 on: August 18, 2011, 06:30:48 pm »

Also, to Urist: Groceries, along with all other city/town buildings are at best temporary shelters, as there are usually already nearby zombies, which are then attracted by the noise you make and your smell. In addition, roads prevent you from digging ditches as static defenses, and there are as of yet no ways to make unbreakable barricades, so you will always eventually lose windows and doors, even if you boarded them up. Some of the better options for permanent hideouts are rural houses (cabins in the fields and woods), missile silos, the first floors of labs away from people,  and human settlements (buildings marked with *, walls with x). The last could be considered cheesy, as there are never any spawns inside of them, and there are currently no actual human NPCs, meaning that the large amounts of "owned" loot are free for the taking.

On that same note, if you assemble sufficient traps, you can probably fortify one of the ideal types of non-cheesy safehouse well enough that they are for all intents and purposes nigh-unreachable for zombies, especially if you (ab)use the fasttravel system (which allows you to instantly move from one map square to any other without time passing, often placing you inside buildings, walls, shelves, etc. It is not uncommon to be ported inside bank vaults like this. You can also use it as an unbeatable escape card against all aboveground enemies. In fact, the only real downside is that you tend to find fewer clusters of scientist bodies and trap circles.

Yes, purifiers give +1 stat when not erasing a bad mutation. Makes the game super easy when you get stats up though, with 20+ strength you can beat zombies to death with your bare hands. High dex and perception makes your guns always score headshots. I had one char so overpowered from using purifiers and mutagens to get high stats and good mutations that he could run around during acid rain naked punching zombie hulks to death with his bare hands.

Oh, and the "fast travel system" you're talking about is a debug teleport, not intended as a core game feature.

Whales' latest commit changed all the debug commands, including the map teleport, to only be accessible from a menu using the Z key. That way it's harder to accidentally hit them, and it's more obvious that they are debug/cheat commands. Headswe just didn't include the latest code in his 1.9.5 update for some reason.

Dunno, i'm guessing he's probably just busy with other things and quickly did a release when he saw new changes, but didn't take time to realize he didn't get them all and forgot to change the window from Console to GUI (which makes the extra window when playing).
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5525 on: August 18, 2011, 07:16:12 pm »

Hey paul badass mod but i think i found a crash bug in it, i went down a manhole and crashed and whenever i load my game it crashes instantly also what do b houses mean ;o?
Edit: is it basement

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5526 on: August 18, 2011, 08:23:09 pm »

Yes, purifiers give +1 stat when not erasing a bad mutation. Makes the game super easy when you get stats up though, with 20+ strength you can beat zombies to death with your bare hands. High dex and perception makes your guns always score headshots. I had one char so overpowered from using purifiers and mutagens to get high stats and good mutations that he could run around during acid rain naked punching zombie hulks to death with his bare hands.

Oh, and the "fast travel system" you're talking about is a debug teleport, not intended as a core game feature.

Whales' latest commit changed all the debug commands, including the map teleport, to only be accessible from a menu using the Z key. That way it's harder to accidentally hit them, and it's more obvious that they are debug/cheat commands. Headswe just didn't include the latest code in his 1.9.5 update for some reason.

Dunno, i'm guessing he's probably just busy with other things and quickly did a release when he saw new changes, but didn't take time to realize he didn't get them all and forgot to change the window from Console to GUI (which makes the extra window when playing).

I'd like to note that you can one shot zombies with your bare hands at 13 str. It's not terribly difficult.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5527 on: August 18, 2011, 08:26:09 pm »

I'd like to note that you can one shot zombies with your bare hands at 13 str. It's not terribly difficult.
It really heavily depends on your melee and H:H combat skill.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:27:54 pm by iceball3 »

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5528 on: August 18, 2011, 08:52:13 pm »

It really heavily depends on your melee and H:H combat skill.

Yes, it needs to be around five each for it to start happening. At around 8 each it becomes every second or 3rd zombie.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5529 on: August 18, 2011, 09:09:29 pm »

And even if you don't one-shot them, you start to get stun type results - I had chars that slapped even hulks and brutes to death with 4-6 strikes without even having to dodge a return blow...

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5530 on: August 18, 2011, 09:29:42 pm »

What do people think of adding brass knuckles as a weapon? They would use unarmed fighting skill and bashing skill, and do lot's of blunt damage.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5531 on: August 18, 2011, 09:35:25 pm »

What do people think of adding brass knuckles as a weapon? They would use unarmed fighting skill and bashing skill, and do lot's of blunt damage.
Ooh, and trench spikes which could use the same skills, but do cutting/piercing damage as well as some blunt damage.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5532 on: August 18, 2011, 10:50:18 pm »

Anyone mind posting the latest update? I haven't checked this for a week, and don't feel like going through 150 pages. :P

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5533 on: August 18, 2011, 11:02:42 pm »

I track updates in this thread.  There hasn't been one for ten days now, but the big one is just around the corner!  I hope!   ::)
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5534 on: August 18, 2011, 11:06:02 pm »

*drools over blueprints for bridge safehouse* ahhh, I cant wait! That is, I can wait but. . .yeah that just came out wrong in text format. . . .
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 777