Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260348 times)

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #5865 on: September 03, 2011, 04:01:42 am »

When you get a zombie spawn, to add to the zombie population, does it increase that population everywhere? Because, having exhausted most of the supplies in my starting town, I spent a game day or two travelling south to a village and HOLY SHIT. Between the giant worms and wasps, which hadn't spawned at all in the first town, I found myself regularly running away from hordes of zombies easily numbering over a dozen a pop, often more, and having one of these hordes down almost every street. That just before I entered the village I discovered my character's idea of disarming landmines is to play footsie with them does not help...
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5866 on: September 03, 2011, 10:17:47 am »

WHERE CAN I GET LATEST WINDOWS VERSION? Headswey gave up and now i'm confused i have no idea how to get this game on windows help please

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5867 on: September 03, 2011, 10:22:10 am »

When you get a zombie spawn, to add to the zombie population, does it increase that population everywhere? Because, having exhausted most of the supplies in my starting town, I spent a game day or two travelling south to a village and HOLY SHIT. Between the giant worms and wasps, which hadn't spawned at all in the first town, I found myself regularly running away from hordes of zombies easily numbering over a dozen a pop, often more, and having one of these hordes down almost every street. That just before I entered the village I discovered my character's idea of disarming landmines is to play footsie with them does not help...

Actually, when a zombie spawns, it decreases the zombie population; it's being pulled out of the population and placed on the map.  Each town has its own population; worms and triffids and such have "colonies" placed randomly around the map.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #5868 on: September 03, 2011, 10:29:08 am »

Actually, when a zombie spawns, it decreases the zombie population; it's being pulled out of the population and placed on the map.  Each town has its own population; worms and triffids and such have "colonies" placed randomly around the map.

So if we kill enough zombies, we'll run out of zombies to kill?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5869 on: September 03, 2011, 10:30:40 am »

Yup.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #5870 on: September 03, 2011, 10:33:21 am »

Challenge Accepted.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5871 on: September 03, 2011, 10:57:19 am »

WHERE CAN I GET LATEST WINDOWS VERSION? Headswey gave up and now i'm confused i have no idea how to get this game on windows help please

Here -> https://github.com/aposos/Cataclysm

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5872 on: September 03, 2011, 10:58:35 am »

Note that there's multiple thousands of zombies in each town.  An industrious player can maybe kill 100-200 zombies each day.  You're looking at 10-20 days of non-stop slaughter for the smaller towns, and 50-100 for the larger towns.

The rate at which monsters spawn is affected by the population, though, so you can possibly make the game easier (this can be noted on the public servers, where zombies are much less common due to several players working together to kill them).
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5873 on: September 03, 2011, 12:38:40 pm »

I just started playing, and started a tutorial game, and while it seems pretty neat, a few things are frustrating, mostly in terms of interface/convenience features.

Things I'd like to see:
  • Being able to examine the stats of items without having to pick them up first.
  • Being able to drop multiple items at once.
  • More intuitive and standardized interface (why do I have to press "7" to exit the sleep menu? Why?!)
  • Fewer bugs (obvious, but it's pretty aggravating not being able to see my arm health half the time).

Also, why can my character apparently teleport? I select a location on the map and I just show up there without any time passing or suffering weather effects or anything like that.

I'm also curious why the game doesn't just use actual text output, since that's all it seems to be anyway. There are also some glaring typos, for instance "nutrituion" in comestible stats.

Also, I drank/drugged myself to death on purpose, but the game never actually told me how I died. All it said was "game over". That's pretty harsh!
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5874 on: September 03, 2011, 12:47:06 pm »

Might I suggest a  10 to 20 turn simulation after death so that we can see how our glorious last-stand-gas pump explosions affect the shambling hordes? I can't reall think of any other reasons besides that :P I don't really know how hard it would be to implement, but maybe a "press space to pass one turn" and "press any other key to quit" choice could be added.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5875 on: September 03, 2011, 12:57:19 pm »

I just started playing, and started a tutorial game, and while it seems pretty neat, a few things are frustrating, mostly in terms of interface/convenience features.

Things I'd like to see:
  • Being able to examine the stats of items without having to pick them up first.
You can look at them with e to do this I think
  • Being able to drop multiple items at once.
I think we'll get this in the next release.
  • More intuitive and standardized interface (why do I have to press "7" to exit the sleep menu? Why?!)
I agree with you here.

• Fewer bugs (obvious, but it's pretty aggravating not being able to see my arm health half the time).
This is a windows only display bug IIRC
Also, why can my character apparently teleport? I select a location on the map and I just show up there without any time passing or suffering weather effects or anything like that.
Debug feature, and you must be using the old windows version. Get the latest at www.github.com/aposos/Cataclysm.

I'm also curious why the game doesn't just use actual text output, since that's all it seems to be anyway. There are also some glaring typos, for instance "nutrituion" in comestible stats.
I think the linux version does use text output, and we have a typo thread on the forums so go post it there.

Also, I drank/drugged myself to death on purpose, but the game never actually told me how I died. All it said was "game over". That's pretty harsh!
Death messages are planned, but they require Whales to add text for each and every damage type you can get, which would take a while.

Might I suggest a  10 to 20 turn simulation after death so that we can see how our glorious last-stand-gas pump explosions affect the shambling hordes? I can't reall think of any other reasons besides that :P I don't really know how hard it would be to implement, but maybe a "press space to pass one turn" and "press any other key to quit" choice could be added.
Whales liked this idea and plans to add it at some point I think.
*Hugs*

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5876 on: September 03, 2011, 01:07:53 pm »

NINJA EDIT: BAH! Damn you!

G-Flex, I notice you are using both a) the windows version (recall this is not a windows game, so display bugs like the arm health are probably likely!) and b)an old version, since debug commands like teleportation and map reveal have no been moved into a singular debug menu.

I've been working on fixing typos as I find them, hopefully Whale's will pick up those bufixes when he merges the changes. I'll make a note to fix that now... done. Any others you find, if you point them out in the bug area of the Cataclysm forum on the typo thread it would be much appreciated, since no one has really put much effort into that yet.

Being able to drop multiple items at once.
I'm pretty sure this is in for the next version at least, which should be nice.
I'm also curious why the game doesn't just use actual text output, since that's all it seems to be anyway.
It does. This is likely a side effect of whichever mod/port you're using.

Code: [Select]
............             ┌─────┐NEARBY
............             │v├─RR│d dog
............             │─┤.RR│
............             │.│<RR│
............             │─┤...│
............             │.│<..│
............             └─────┘
............             HEAD:
............              96   
........|--- ------      TORSO:
........|... .....|       96   
........|..d|.....|      L. ARM:
........|...@.[...|       96   
........|..."..[.[|      R. ARM:
........|...|[.........   96   
........|... ..m.........L. LEG:
........|... .....|...... 96   
........|... .....|  .h..R. LEG:
........|... .[...|   ... 96   
............ .[.[.|     {POW:
............ .)...|       --   
........|... ....[|      house             Clear 65F              Spring, day 1
........|... ...,.|      Weapon: fists                            8:00 AM
........|... .....|                                               XP: 0      RUN
........|... .....|                          Str 12 Dex  7 Int 12 Per  5 Spd 100

You do make several good points though, all things that are either being worked on or planned to be, from what I know, though.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 01:09:46 pm by GlyphGryph »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5877 on: September 03, 2011, 01:08:22 pm »

Here -> https://github.com/aposos/Cataclysm
I'll put this in the first post.

This thread is so gigantic, impossible to keep up with it all! Thanks for Whales for being an awesome developer!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5878 on: September 03, 2011, 01:10:30 pm »

Also. the link to the new forums is http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
The spambots took over the old one.
*Hugs*

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5879 on: September 03, 2011, 01:11:58 pm »

G-Flex, I notice you are using both a) the windows version (recall this is not a windows game, so display bugs like the arm health are probably likely!) and b)an old version, since debug commands like teleportation and map reveal have no been moved into a singular debug menu.

That's a "debug command"? All I was doing was bringing up the map with m, moving the cursor to a building, and pressing the enter key.

It does. This is likely a side effect of whichever mod/port you're using.

Yeah, I'm using a Windows version put together by someone apparently named "Head". His readme file isn't very encouraging.

In addition, I think the text feedback area could provide more information, like how much damage is being done to you when an enemy attacks, feedback when reading something, etc.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 777