Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263214 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7620 on: November 03, 2011, 10:20:41 pm »

Totally need to be ble to apply a bayonet to my crossbow...or a katana... or maybe make a sword with a revolver built into it.  A...gunblade if you will...

Anyway silliness aside I'm not opposed to the idea of a bayonet on a pistol, no real way to do that kinda cool looking stance that one special ops guy from that one game does with both the knife and the pistol out at once.  A bayonet on a pistol seems a reasonable way to duplicate the same readyness and cut down on combat inventory shuffling without having to implement a full dual wielding system (yet).

I can't count how many times I had to actually drop my handgun on the ground  in the middle of heated combat (often including actual fire, I think I'm a bit trigger happy with Molotovs) just to take my combat knife out because my inventory doesn't have enough volume for my handgun, when I could probably just be holding the handgun in my off hand until I need it again.  A bayonet could help mitigate that.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7621 on: November 03, 2011, 10:32:05 pm »

Well, if we're already posting pics, here's my favorite bladed SMG pic, which kinda shows how would a bayonet on SMGs work.

There's a good site here that depicts actual melee weapons with firearms built into them with a bunch of pictures: http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_spot_combo.html

There's a good picture of a pistol built with what looks like a sturdy knife underneath it.
Knife with pistol from the Buffalo Bill Center
This combination percussion cap pistol and knife blade is one of 150 such weapons ordered by the US Navy in 1833 for an expedition to the south seas.

My favorite has to be the hammer rifle though.
Carbine with warhammer from the Tøjhusmeet, Copenhagen
This Italian carbine of circa 1685 has a hammer attachment on the barrel. What the Fuck were they thinking?

And if you don't know who you're fighting or where you're going you can't go wrong with this!
Shield with sword blade, gauntlet, sword catchers, and lantern from the Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna
This unusual Italian creation seeks to combine many offensive and defensive capabilities into one package. It dates to the first half of the 16th century and combines a shield with multiple blades and an armoured gauntlet.

Yeah, I agree wielding a knife by itself would be more efficient. I was just saying that attaching it onto a SMG could work.

Whoops, misread you there.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 10:46:08 pm by Flare »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7622 on: November 03, 2011, 10:33:55 pm »

Is that one special ops guy from that one game Solid Snake from Metal Gear?

And I agree that in the case of one-handed weapons, it would be nice to have an off-hand to carry a backup around. If you're going to go the extra mile to code such a thing in, you could even give the option for more skilled wielders to go akimbo or start wielding a daishō set rather than just a katana.
Nothing important here, move along.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7623 on: November 03, 2011, 10:34:36 pm »

Currently there isn't any time needed to switch between held items. Switching a pistol to knife takes the same amount of time switching a grenade launcher to a two-by-four.

We could always add left+right hands though.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7624 on: November 03, 2011, 10:50:26 pm »

There's a good site here that depicts actual melee weapons with firearms built into them with a bunch of pictures: http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_spot_combo.html

Hah, liked that Italian shield. I mean, it's even got a lantern integrated in it.
Or the gun book. Best bible ever.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7625 on: November 04, 2011, 01:48:17 am »

There have been all kinds of oddities produced over the decades/centuries, but there's a reason they stayed oddities. Just saying.

Anyway silliness aside I'm not opposed to the idea of a bayonet on a pistol, no real way to do that kinda cool looking stance that one special ops guy from that one game does with both the knife and the pistol out at once.

If your argument in favor of something, "silliness aside", amounts to "it's the only way I can pretend I'm doing this one pose this one character does in another video game", then you might want to find a better argument.

If not being able to wield two things at once is a problem (and I'm not sure it is), then that's a problem distinct from being able to strap a bayonet onto your gun.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7626 on: November 04, 2011, 02:19:18 am »

There have been all kinds of oddities produced over the decades/centuries, but there's a reason they stayed oddities. Just saying.

Yes I know, as I've said in the post right before the one you quoted, I did point out the realities of putting knives on smgs and pistols and the relative inefficiencies of just holding the knife and using it without a bulky and unwieldy weapon attached to the end of it. It would still be pretty cool if I can attach a lantern to a shield though, even if it's for the novelty effect.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #7627 on: November 04, 2011, 03:26:37 am »

Like these?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Close enough.  Kinda like the first one, but with the sharp bit a little further forward.

It's like punching but with a knife and shooting people!

Also, I remember something about a lantern-and-sword style in Seventh Sea, but I never did figure out what the heck the lantern was... like, some kind of special-made battle-lantern?  Or just your average lantern.  And then I wasn't sure if they were historically based, or what.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7628 on: November 04, 2011, 05:19:34 am »

Guns are small. Weapon switching is a free action, or close enough. There,s no point in using a gun-bayonet.

There IS a point in increasing the hth power of a shotgun or rifle because they are large, and so is their ammo. You ,ight not want to drag around a machete alongside that
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7629 on: November 04, 2011, 07:14:29 am »

Lanterns build into shields where supposed to blind the enemy.

Anyway, seems silly and pointless to argue over that, mod it in yourself if you want, I'm sure whales picked up on the suggestion in the last few pages of crying about it.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7630 on: November 04, 2011, 03:38:54 pm »

For crying out loud, the entertainment is in the unrealistic or unorthodox- it boils down to escapism, a break from reality. You don't sit at a computer to play Office Peon 2009 or Super Traffic Conductor, do you?
The sad thing is that there are flash games like that  :P

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7631 on: November 04, 2011, 03:55:09 pm »

You don't sit at a computer to play Office Peon 2009 or Super Traffic Conductor, do you?

Hundreds of thousands play EVE Online.  :P

At any rate: for the time being I'm going to keep bayonets on all weapons except handguns.  In the future, when unique crafts and items (artifacts, inventions, legendary items, whatever you what to call them) become a reality, I'll let players craft silly/cool axepistols and hammer rifles and spiky shotguns and whatever.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7632 on: November 04, 2011, 03:56:11 pm »

a zombie apocalypse is fairly unrealistic, y'know, where people rise up from the dead, or why you don't catch the zombie disease if it is a disease,

Spoiler: Spoilers (click to show/hide)
*Hugs*

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #7633 on: November 04, 2011, 06:05:37 pm »

At any rate: for the time being I'm going to keep bayonets on all weapons except handguns.  In the future, when unique crafts and items (artifacts, inventions, legendary items, whatever you what to call them) become a reality, I'll let players craft silly/cool axepistols and hammer rifles and spiky shotguns and whatever.

And there I was thinking there was nothing I could possibly want more than working NPCs/Factions. Because this moves my dream of a longbow specially modified to us katanas as ammunition on step closer to reality....
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #7634 on: November 04, 2011, 06:16:59 pm »

a zombie apocalypse is fairly unrealistic, y'know, where people rise up from the dead, or why you don't catch the zombie disease if it is a disease,

Spoiler: Spoilers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 777