Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260280 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7800 on: November 10, 2011, 04:10:11 pm »

So does that mean I'll be constantly making new characters in a world of constantly diminishing supplies then?
Yes
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7801 on: November 10, 2011, 04:11:03 pm »

It's located on the server you play on.  So, yeah, you can't delete it.

So does that mean I'll be constantly making new characters in a world of constantly diminishing supplies then? Or will it generate a new map every time I generate a new character rather than use a template?

No, to both. Every character made on the server until Eronarn updates and wipes the save folder will play in the same world, but more world is generated simply by walking into one of the edges. So, running out of supplies shouldn't be a problem.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7802 on: November 10, 2011, 04:54:31 pm »

It's located on the server you play on.  So, yeah, you can't delete it.

So does that mean I'll be constantly making new characters in a world of constantly diminishing supplies then? Or will it generate a new map every time I generate a new character rather than use a template?

It'll keep diminishing.  In the future I'll be making new characters start further and further out, so that you'll be in relatively virgin territory.  Of course, Eronarn does empty the save directory every time he updates the game, so there's that.

p.s. oh dang ninja'd
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7803 on: November 10, 2011, 05:07:13 pm »

Also, on bows: ignore longbows but keep the arrows. Once you find a compound bow, train  till you get archery one (to make more arrows). I think it's important to keep a modicum of archery skill in order to be able to kill fungies safely and cost-effectively.

If you have the strength for it (and 11 is not too bad) longbows are superior to compound bows in every way.

More accurate, shoots faster, weighs less, takes up less space (?!), and does more damage when used as a melee weapon (not that it really matters much). The only advantage the compound bow has is a bonus to hit in melee.

Wouldn't a modern sporting/hunting bow do more damage and be more accurate than one you made yourself out of a stick in your backyard?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7804 on: November 10, 2011, 05:10:01 pm »

Also: Zombies are a renewable resource.  Zombie dies, drop pants, turn pants into rags, repair utility vest, profit!

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7805 on: November 10, 2011, 05:13:41 pm »

Wouldn't a modern sporting/hunting bow do more damage and be more accurate than one you made yourself out of a stick in your backyard?

IRL, bow damage depends on draw strength. If you can make a 200+ pound draw longbow out of a stick in your backyard, and it doesn't break, it's going to put more force into the arrow than a 150- or 180 pound draw hunting compound bow. Ye olde war bows were in the range of 300 pound draw so they could send arrows through steel armor.
Nothing important here, move along.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7806 on: November 10, 2011, 05:14:29 pm »

I once got 9mm rounds and a .45 pistol on a zombie before. I think I know why he died.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7807 on: November 10, 2011, 05:18:56 pm »

I also agree that a modern compound bow would be more accurate than an old style longbow.  An old style longbow you have to aim while struggling against the draw of the bow, It isn't any easier to hold the arrow in position while aiming than it is to draw the bow in the first place.  Modern bows have pullies that hold the bow in the pulled back position for you so that you can focus on your aim without fighting to keep the bow drawn.

But this is a game where you can make a pair of safety glasses identical in all respects to the factory made ones, out of a single plastic bottle.   I'm fine with the diffrence.  A longbow being slightly better gives a ranged character a reason to put a few points into strength.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7808 on: November 10, 2011, 06:05:38 pm »

Well that sucks hearing about the server thing, this brings me to a new conundrum of sorts; who develops the windows version and how often is it updated?

Edit: Hoe-ree cow. I spawned in some dude's storehouse, loaded with food, weapons, pits, the works! I'm also trying the cyborg perk for the first time, got alloy plating for legs and something about an expanded digestive system, these good?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 06:21:52 pm by Blackray Jack »

Keltiknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7809 on: November 10, 2011, 06:18:13 pm »

I have not even seen bows, at all, so what skill do I need to craft a longbow?
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.-Corvidae

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7810 on: November 10, 2011, 06:18:31 pm »

Aposos ports it, and he usually has an update out within a few hours. You can grab the current version from https://github.com/aposos/Cataclysm/downloads and get Matt's fix for spiked pits a few pages back.
*Hugs*

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7811 on: November 10, 2011, 06:21:32 pm »

Mechanics and survival (the skill you get from butchering) I think, one sec and I'll confirm.

ARCHERY and survival, my bad.  So you need to either start with a point in archery skill, or play around with a crossbow or a store found bow in order to craft one.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 06:26:27 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Keltiknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7812 on: November 10, 2011, 06:24:58 pm »

Mechanics and survival (the skill you get from butchering) I think, one sec and I'll confirm.

ARCHERY and survival, my bad.  So you need to either start with a point in archery skill, or play around with a crossbow or a store found bow in order to craft one.

Ah, thanks, makes sense.
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.-Corvidae

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7813 on: November 10, 2011, 06:25:46 pm »

IRL, bow damage depends on draw strength. If you can make a 200+ pound draw longbow out of a stick in your backyard, and it doesn't break, it's going to put more force into the arrow than a 150- or 180 pound draw hunting compound bow. Ye olde war bows were in the range of 300 pound draw so they could send arrows through steel armor.

I'm not sure I believe that draw strength is the only variable involved. Based on my knowledge of physics related to things like springs, it also depends on how far you have to pull it. A bow that you pull back 10 feet (yes, absurd) to generate 100 pounds of force at that point will launch an arrow at greater velocity than a bow that you have to pull back 3 inches to generate that same amount of force.

At any rate, I suppose it does depend on what the bow is actually designed for. Then again, I don't imagine that the strongest, most accurate bow possible is one that some random guy makes out of a stick and a string in the woods, either, whether the year is 2020 or 1420. Of course, Cataclysm seems to generally assume that the homemade idiot-crafted version of something is identical to the most professionally-made ones possible, so there's that.

At any rate, I think a modern compound hunting bow (with greater damage and possibly also a lower strength requirement than the longbow) would be nice.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7814 on: November 10, 2011, 08:36:50 pm »

It's less an assumption and more a deliberate simplification.  There doesn't seem to be any real gameplay benefits to making homemade safety glasses be significantly different from store-bought ones, but it would mean more item types to become familiar with, more item juggling, etc.  Simpler and more fun to just streamline it.

Part of me wants to, as an experiment, make a stripped down mod for Cataclysm.  Remove 90% of items, reduce firearms to a pistol, a shotgun, an SMG, and a rifle (maybe an assault rifle too) and one ammo type for each one.  Eliminate most crafting recipes, all drugs except for a single painkiller... yeah...
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 777