Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 523 524 [525] 526 527 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263216 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7860 on: November 12, 2011, 07:11:46 pm »

"putty server" ¯\(°_o)/¯

StAGoB Engine (slaves to armok god of blood) would be cool for this game,.......

SOMEONE INJECT WHALES WITH CASH!!

The Slaves to Armok: God of Blood engine didn't even work for Slaves to Armok: God of Blood. Also, while there are things Toady is good at, programming 3D engines probably isn't his strongest suit.

Not that a 3D engine is a great idea here to begin with.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7861 on: November 12, 2011, 09:07:42 pm »

Man, it would be weird if two people lived in the same Safehouse. Occasionally food just disappears, zombie corpses appear outside... They both wonder why they keep losing food, losing ammo and losing zed-heads outside... Be funny as hell.

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7862 on: November 12, 2011, 10:01:42 pm »

Man, it would be weird if two people lived in the same Safehouse. Occasionally food just disappears, zombie corpses appear outside... They both wonder why they keep losing food, losing ammo and losing zed-heads outside... Be funny as hell.

That's basically what playing the server is like.

Question: How can I tell how much power I have left for my cyborg abilities?

Also, what perks and anti-perks do people generally choose?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7863 on: November 12, 2011, 10:07:09 pm »

Question: How can I tell how much power I have left for my cyborg abilities?

It's displayed under your health. Labeled "POW" I think.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7864 on: November 12, 2011, 10:14:51 pm »

I usually pick Quick, Fleet Footed, and Light Eater as positive traits, and Asthma, Glass Jaw, Jittery, Weak Stomach, and Lightweight as negative ones (sometimes I take two 2 points penalties instead of asthma, but as of late I've found asthma to be quite nice. Inhalers drain quite slowly, and you can do without one in a pinch, as attacks are infrequent).

Sometimes I pick robust genetics as a trait, in case I find myself scarce on cybers but rich on muties (It still is seldom worth it to mutate too much. But it *might* be worth it to try to get one or two good mutations, particularily if you have purifier to solve botched starts)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7865 on: November 13, 2011, 12:09:17 am »

Best part is when your magical escape device goes missing in the middle of a mob...

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7866 on: November 13, 2011, 12:29:09 am »

Best part is when your magical escape device goes missing in the middle of a mob...
Or when the other person chucks a molotov in desperation while fighting the same mob you are.

*Bzzt*
Uh oh, lost connection. Better re-login.
*Bip*
OH GOD THE WINE IS EXPLODING
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 12:32:30 am by Blaze »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7867 on: November 13, 2011, 12:44:48 am »

I've taken to schizophrenia, asthmatic, and nearsighted.  That's 3 volume dedicated to some meds, spare eyeglasses (never leave home without a spare), and an inhaler, but they're used so infrequently that it's very fine.  I play a melee build with utility vests instead of backpacks, for the encumberment bonus, and I still find room to store things.  Traveling light is a skill.  Lightweight isn't bad either, depending on how heavily you tend to booze out.

For boosts, usually quick, fleet-footed, and fast learner, or something to do with pain resistance.  Normal pain is damage/2 (you take 30 damage and incur 15 pain) while pain resistance is damage/3 (30 damage gives 10 pain) and will save you a lot on painkillers.  The speed traits are vital for fleeing, as quick lets you debatably outrun common hordes, and fleet+quick lets you run down roads like a trackstar, even more if you're pumped on adderall.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7868 on: November 13, 2011, 01:23:07 am »

I've been taking the following bad traits:

Poor hearing - never notice a difference with anything.

Glass jaw - Honestly, this should be nerfed, it's 3 free points - even with it I've NEVER died due to head damage, always torso

Trigger happy - free points, yes I'm a bad person for picking it

Jittery - it rarely pops up and is not really that bad when it does.

Weak stomach - so you puke more often if you try and cram food down when you're full and if you drink too much. Who cares?

Wool allergy - is there any wool clothing that's even worth wearing?

12 points with no major downsides and no consumable resources required. I've considered replacing jittery with heavy sleeper and nearsighted, I've never actually had my starting glasses break and there's tons of them laying all over (in the future everyone uses the same prescription I guess), but heavy sleeper is kind of annoying sometimes.

Plus points I almost always pick packrat (40% more carry capacity is huge, I can't live without it) and fast reader (for 1 point it's a no-brainer now that you're not limited to 3 traits). Fast learner I pick a lot too, gets your fighting skills up to par a lot faster and helps with other skills you don't (or can't) find books for.

Quick + fleet footed is pretty powerful and I pick it sometimes, but it's awful pricey for both.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7869 on: November 13, 2011, 07:48:01 am »

Here's a bug, any attempt to craft an item using tools via Integrated Toolset causes the game to crash.
"0-length menu ("Use which component?")

Edit: Nevermind, It's already been reported on the main forum.

On an  unrelated note, attempting to specify a CBM (Wish -> / -> "CBM: <stuff>") on the wish menu instantly crashes the game with no message.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:53:45 am by Blaze »

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #7870 on: November 13, 2011, 08:10:04 am »

Weak stomach - so you puke more often if you try and cram food down when you're full and if you drink too much. Who cares?
You'll care if your character chokes on his vomit.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7871 on: November 13, 2011, 01:11:59 pm »

Simple solution: Don't cram food when you're full, don't drink to excess.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7872 on: November 13, 2011, 01:26:55 pm »

*something* causes you to vomit a lot when combined with oxycodone. I'm not sure if it's chemical imbalance or weak stomach, but one game I vomited about every ten minutes before I died after about a day of that. I choked on my own vomit, go figure.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7873 on: November 13, 2011, 01:56:26 pm »

You can OD on things, and apparently you can mix drug cocktails, though I'm not entirely certain about it.  I panicked and popped like 5 adderall and 10 caffeine while running from a horde, without realizing that it takes a few minutes for certain drugs to kick in, and my heart exploded from stimulants.  Considering that you can have a heart attack this way, and that people who aren't familiar with medication might think 'it didn't work immediately, better take more' I consider this a very reasonable death.

On the same note, if you've got a little time to spare after a fight, pop a codeine and a tramadol, and then use ^ to wait 5-10 minutes.  Codeine is a quick painkiller, while tramadol works over time, and seems to slowly increase its effect over time, but both of them take a moment to start working.  I was taking like 6 codeine to handle pain, but then realized that if you wait a little that a small amount of painkillers will do a lot of good.  This also helps you avoid addiction.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7874 on: November 13, 2011, 07:05:09 pm »

if you're going to wait 10 minutes anyway, why bother with the codine to begin with? just pop the tramadol and wait.

Then again, I've had such miserable luck looting pharmacies the last few games I've had to learn to deal with just aspirin. I'm not sure if you can overdose on it, but chugging half the bottle seems to have no ill effects.

Simple solution: Don't cram food when you're full, don't drink to excess.

Exactly, that's the point I intended to make. There's really no reason to jam even more food down once you're stuffed or drink past the point of maybe drunk (unless you're abusing gourmand to boost stats like someone mentioned earlier but meh). Maybe if weak stomach made you puke due to other things (massive pain? butchering humans/zombies? scientist body piles in the road? just seeing... some of the stuff in labs?) it would be bad, but right now there's not really a downside for normal play.

actually, you might also puke more with
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
come to think of it, not sure, but that's a bad situation you want to avoid either way.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!
Pages: 1 ... 523 524 [525] 526 527 ... 777