Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 549 550 [551] 552 553 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260302 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #8250 on: December 03, 2011, 12:00:32 pm »

Whales uses his computer in Linux, he's entitled to designing it in his comfortable format.  He's already said there will be a relatively simple header change for making it Windows version, but right now Cataclysm is so early in dev that, and he's stated this, no one should really be playing it.

smariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8251 on: December 03, 2011, 12:10:44 pm »

Curse? You should thank him  :P

Nope.avi most games dont run on Linux. Most B12'ers are windows users due to DF originally being a windows only thing.
He should be prepared for a crappy operating system just as much full of bugs as windows, but with less support and more crappy freeware that dosent work for crap.
Other times you have to fight with that terminal that for god knows why has ls instead of dir, even though dir being much more obvious in abbreviation than "ls"
And sometimes, you just realise your rig got 100 times more crap due to the fact that theres no good drivers for your hardware.

Fuck linux, i have to say, atleast based on my experience with that lousy excuse for an operating system.

You should be saying fuck hardware manufacturers for not having open source drivers.

Also, the commonly used shell commands are intentionally short to reduce typing.

ls - list directory contents
rm - remove file
cd - change directory
mv - move or rename file
cp - copy file

If you really can't manage to remember ls, type 'alias dir=ls', and typing dir will then magically list files, and add that to ~/.bashrc to never have to type that command again.
Likes schrödinbugs for their reality destroying implications.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8252 on: December 03, 2011, 12:34:37 pm »

Other times you have to fight with that terminal that for god knows why has ls instead of dir, even though dir being much more obvious in abbreviation than "ls"

I apologize that you had to "fight" with a terminal simply because you didn't know one of the most basic commands. Seriously, it's not hard to remember that "ls" means "list contents", and it's seriously pretty understandable that completely different operating systems have different semantics.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8253 on: December 03, 2011, 01:12:58 pm »

And I don't see how "dir" makes sense for listing files anyways.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8254 on: December 03, 2011, 01:40:59 pm »

Seriously, it's not hard to remember that "ls" means "list contents",
Only problem is that it uses the first and last letters. They likely could have picked something like lc. But yeah, it's not really that hard to remember once you've done it a few times. Same goes for basically every other damn thing in the universe.

Dir stands for Directory. A directory is... well, a directory--a bunch of files in a folder.

It makes more sense in a way. In another not really. And in my opinion Dir is slightly more memorable if only for being able to say it out loud in your own mind (I doubt you could say "ls" in your mind).

Plus, I like saying Dir as D-uuurrhhhh. :P

Also, I'm also waiting for a windows version. I just don't feel like going through the trouble of setting up a virtual Linux unless I need it for another reason.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8255 on: December 03, 2011, 01:58:10 pm »

Only problem is that it uses the first and last letters. They likely could have picked something like lc. But yeah, it's not really that hard to remember once you've done it a few times. Same goes for basically every other damn thing in the universe.

Dir stands for Directory. A directory is... well, a directory--a bunch of files in a folder.

It makes more sense in a way. In another not really. And in my opinion Dir is slightly more memorable if only for being able to say it out loud in your own mind (I doubt you could say "ls" in your mind).

Plus, I like saying Dir as D-uuurrhhhh. :P

Also, I'm also waiting for a windows version. I just don't feel like going through the trouble of setting up a virtual Linux unless I need it for another reason.

Hmm sorry guys i was just butthurt over the fact that every saturday is a shitday.
Linux is wonderful in itself.

Also.. im hungry, realted video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW6ZXHWvaGc
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8256 on: December 03, 2011, 02:00:33 pm »

Curse you Whales for making me install ubuntu just to play your game.

I got fed up with waiting for a new windows version that works.

*sits back and laughs heartily as Canonical, the company that owns Ubuntu, sends another fat cash kickback*

Let's maybe not do an OS war?  If you don't like linux that's fine, no one's forcing you to.  Personally, I've used it for a few years (and Windows my whole life) and I vastly prefer linux.  It's the roguelike (or DF!) of operating systems; old-fashioned, opaque, and complicated at first glance, with perhaps a steep learning curve, but ultimately very rewarding and much deeper and more powerful than the alternatives.

Anyway, the latest Ubuntu delivers a very Windows-like experience; from what I understand, you pretty much never have to touch the terminal.  But I love my console, so I use Arch ;)
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8257 on: December 03, 2011, 02:19:49 pm »

Only problem is that it uses the first and last letters. They likely could have picked something like lc.

I didn't mean that "ls" literally and explicitly stands for "list contents". I think it's just a shortening of "list", historically speaking.

But yeah, it's not really that hard to remember once you've done it a few times. Same goes for basically every other damn thing in the universe.

This was more my point. It's such a commonly used command that memorizing it isn't an issue.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Bobv2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8258 on: December 03, 2011, 03:13:46 pm »

Curse you Whales for making me install ubuntu just to play your game.

I got fed up with waiting for a new windows version that works.

*sits back and laughs heartily as Canonical, the company that owns Ubuntu, sends another fat cash kickback*

Let's maybe not do an OS war?  If you don't like linux that's fine, no one's forcing you to.  Personally, I've used it for a few years (and Windows my whole life) and I vastly prefer linux.  It's the roguelike (or DF!) of operating systems; old-fashioned, opaque, and complicated at first glance, with perhaps a steep learning curve, but ultimately very rewarding and much deeper and more powerful than the alternatives.

Anyway, the latest Ubuntu delivers a very Windows-like experience; from what I understand, you pretty much never have to touch the terminal.  But I love my console, so I use Arch ;)

Oh, I wasn't trying to antagonize anyone. When I read my post, it seems like my post was trying to to that. Sorry. I was going for more along the lines of "curse you for making a game worthy of installing a new OS for."

Anyway, I used to fiddle with Linux all the time because Windows XP and Vista were so bad and unstable. However, I've had my installation on Windows 7 on my computer since release and it still works wonderfully. Quite honestly, until now, I haven't had a reason to try to get all of my Windows stuff working on Linux, and god knows I've tried.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8259 on: December 03, 2011, 03:39:29 pm »

This brings me to mind that i lost my Cataclysmix(Wich is what i dubbed the linux distro only for Cataclysm)

Holy shit sitting in office chairs while drunk gives a weird sensation in your back.. Holy shit this is weird.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #8260 on: December 03, 2011, 04:01:38 pm »

It wasn't my intention to start a OS-flame  :-[
But I must say that thanks to indie developers, gaming on linux is expanding day after day.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8261 on: December 03, 2011, 04:22:07 pm »

Minor update!  Back on topic!  :D

Clean build required, saves obsolete; sorry.

Features:
  • Angle's map extra mod merged.  Map extras underground and in buildings, new airdrop extra.
  • New items: gold ring, silver necklace.
  • Pawn shops contain a much wider variety of items, and many more items are placed.

Tweaks:
  • Melee tweaked to be less effective:
    • Hits take a little longer
    • Criticals a bit harder to achieve
    • A hit is never 100% guaranteed
    • Dodging is never 100% guaranteed
  • Bows "reload" much faster.
  • Footstep (yellow ?) placement tweaked to work better.
  • Monster generation increased a little bit to compensate for the larger map.
  • Weather made much more efficient; fewer slowdowns during rain, etc.

Bug Fixes:
  • Stair bug fixed again--no more stair teleportation.
  • Fire smokiness bug fixed.
  • Water cannot be stored in non-watertight, non-sealable containers; no more water in soda cans.
  • Crash on firing bows fixed.
  • Hitting > while underwater will no longer refill your lungs with air.
  • Insane unarmed damage bug fixed.
  • Overmap loading bug fixed, I hope; a bug that only appeared in Windows and caused an immediate segfault upon starting the game.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8262 on: December 03, 2011, 04:38:26 pm »

Right, I seem to have forgotten how to download the game itself or make it playable. Any help...?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8263 on: December 03, 2011, 04:51:12 pm »

• Water cannot be stored in non-watertight, non-sealable containers; no more water in soda cans.
Could you perhaps give them a short lifetime instead of just removing it? In a pinch, I would use an empty can to pick the water up to be purified to drink, even if I couldn't use it for long term storage.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Bobv2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8264 on: December 03, 2011, 05:18:29 pm »

What is the maximum hit chance for melee now?

Also is there any advantage to sleeping on a bed as opposed to on the floor?

Also, can someone tel me why you take damage when you fail to disarm a shotgun trap? Is my character really dumb enough to stand in front of the barrel while she tries to disarm it?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 06:00:30 pm by Bobv2 »
Pages: 1 ... 549 550 [551] 552 553 ... 777