Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263215 times)

Kroack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #9150 on: April 01, 2012, 06:17:26 pm »

yarg

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9151 on: April 01, 2012, 08:03:16 pm »

This game is actually pretty freaking awesome. Ran into a horde of 20 zombies, foolishly tried to gun em all down with a Tec-9, realized there were too many, escaped into a house thinking I was safe only for the Zs to begin breaking down the door, more shooting in the entrance hallway leads to a second hallway which in turn leads to a closet of some sort, I'm beginning to run low on ammo when I have a lucky string of one shot kills. The last zombie I dispatch with a baseball bat after running out of ammo for the gun. All in all, pretty tense.

Thanks for saying so!  That kind of intense action, with combat/retreat/panic/back-up plans, is a big part of what I'm aiming for and what I like about Cataclysm, so it's nice to hear that someone else has had that kind of experience. :D
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #9152 on: April 01, 2012, 08:48:44 pm »

There are a few rare non-fungal-enemy ways to contract fungitis.

Labs contain some of them.  Labs are not the best place to set up shop for this reason.
I'm a lucky person.

Also, I think you shouldn't be able to read when in excruciating pain. As noted earlier, growing fungal sprouts from both arms throws you into said state.

Yet, I can read while in pain. Mental imagery = win.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9153 on: April 01, 2012, 11:46:57 pm »

Well, pain decreases your int more than anything else, and a low int is an impediment to reading--your book selection will be lessened and it'll generally take more time.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9154 on: April 02, 2012, 04:51:33 am »

This game is actually pretty freaking awesome. Ran into a horde of 20 zombies, foolishly tried to gun em all down with a Tec-9, realized there were too many, escaped into a house thinking I was safe only for the Zs to begin breaking down the door, more shooting in the entrance hallway leads to a second hallway which in turn leads to a closet of some sort, I'm beginning to run low on ammo when I have a lucky string of one shot kills. The last zombie I dispatch with a baseball bat after running out of ammo for the gun. All in all, pretty tense.

Thanks for saying so!  That kind of intense action, with combat/retreat/panic/back-up plans, is a big part of what I'm aiming for and what I like about Cataclysm, so it's nice to hear that someone else has had that kind of experience. :D

I recently had this very desperate fetch for resources, i am using vehicle mod, imagine some redneck in his battered fucked up truck crashing through buildings and hammering zombies down in a vain attempt to escape, just to find all 4 wheels ruined, then having a horde of zombies tear open the truck and eat me.

Or recently where i had this awesome biker character that grabbed alot of loot, putted it in a box and hit'd the road.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9155 on: April 02, 2012, 05:14:14 am »

i am using vehicle mod

How often did you find vehicles? so far I've yet to come across one (although reading the other forum I see you can build them too)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9156 on: April 02, 2012, 02:07:59 pm »

I found a bunch of them in parking lots.

You CAN build them, but finding even the basic parts for them is pretty difficult. You usually have to pull them out of other vehicles. So far the only craftable parts are frames and platings, which require A LOT of "lumps of steel" and all three are VERY heavy.

And before then, you need to find a welder and plenty of batteries to power it.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9157 on: April 03, 2012, 04:31:13 am »

I found a bunch of them in parking lots.

Guess I'll just keep exploring then and hope to stumble over one :)
I must admit I am enjoying the game more now I've stopped building any kind of 'home', carrying just what I need and always moving is fun, especially when you try to find somewhere to camp down for the night.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9158 on: April 04, 2012, 04:06:00 am »

i am using vehicle mod

How often did you find vehicles? so far I've yet to come across one (although reading the other forum I see you can build them too)

I find them very rarely, parking lots are good places to check, in the next versions there will be roadside wrecks for you to scavenge/fix
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #9159 on: April 06, 2012, 09:36:56 am »

I've updated my Myriad Stuff Mod which now includes the vehicles mod.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9160 on: April 07, 2012, 10:05:47 am »

Cib released a update version of his tilemod.

Forum thead:http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=462.0
Bog standard one:http://46.102.242.11/cataclysm.7z
Vehicle mod: http://46.102.242.11/cataclysm_tileset_vehicles.zip

http://www.justin.tv/headswe/b/314155569
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9161 on: April 07, 2012, 03:46:26 pm »

Quick question from a new player who read a few pages back about basement spawns- was that ever addressed in more recent versions? Only, I had some zombies spawn in my evac site basement. There I was, thinking I was all safe in there... :)
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9162 on: April 07, 2012, 04:50:47 pm »

If you were already being followed they tend to stay following you as you go down to the basement, but other than that you should be okay as far as I know.

I've not checked the code to confirm this though.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9163 on: April 07, 2012, 06:52:53 pm »

so I've been exoerimenting a bit with mutations,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
edit answered my own question, potential spoiler below:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also if anyone wants me to write up a  minor... guide of sorts on positive mutations I'd be happy to. Got about 20 good ones so far and counting
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 06:58:27 pm by kilakan »
Nom nom nom

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9164 on: April 07, 2012, 08:21:13 pm »

Hehe, I'm so bad at this game, but it's a lot of fun. :)

My latest character was running around in the wilderness, collecting food and supplies. She had that trait (I forget its name) that makes animals friendly; so, of course, all the squirrels and rabbits in the neibourhood were bloodthirsty and hostile and would not stop attacking me wherever I went.

So all this commotion inevitably attracted all the zombies in the area, so I ran back to my base and tried to defend the doorway from all these zombies and squirrels. The whole time, I'm swinging wildly and not hitting a thing, and I'm thinking "What the hell, why can't I hit anything?!"

Well I couldn't hold the door for long, and soon I was surrounded. I knew I was about to die. Still miffed at my incredible miss rate, I checked my equipment.

'Weilding: Strawberry'

...God damn it. LOL. I died trying to defend myself with a delicious berry.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.
Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 777