Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260282 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #9750 on: June 09, 2012, 11:31:30 am »

Yeah, I remember that some of the guns make really loud sounds like "Blam!" while others, like the BB gun, only go "Plink!"

Man I love this game so much, especially the way gun noises are handled.

Funny little secret thing (I say secret, assuming no one would actually try it unintentionally) stand in an open doorway, close it by pressing 5 on the numpad as the direction to close :P
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9751 on: June 09, 2012, 11:42:59 am »

Through cheats, I managed to make an armored plasma tank.

How do you fire the turrets on vehicles?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9752 on: June 09, 2012, 11:47:46 am »

Press "^" while driving to toggle turrets on and off.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9753 on: June 09, 2012, 11:57:49 am »

Turrets are automatic, so they'll target on their own.

I believe they'll also shoot through your vehicle if they have LoS.  So let's see that tank melt!

therealmarauder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9754 on: June 09, 2012, 12:40:36 pm »

I can't survive for any length of time.

I manage to get an awesome pile of stuff, maybe a gun, maybe some other things.

I usually take Wool Allergy, because it's basically a free point.

I was using Animal Empathy and I don't know if it did anything; was chased by a pack of wolves until I found some traps. Got a crossbow, got some bear traps, and I was killing zombies with a lay trap, hide behind it, hit it until it died.

And then I walk into a spider and die.

I can't seem to acquire even, say, a shovel, enough to dig in and build an elaborate and deadly series of spike traps for zombie protection.

And I don't know how to make a fire.

And saving makes the NPC disappear and I've never found another survivor.

This game infuriates me so much and I want so badly to have fun with it but I just can't survive and I want to see what's in this game but all I see is increasingly more deadly zombies will come and render any preparations I may have made moot and kill me in the first day, or, if I'm lucky, only the second day of the game.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9755 on: June 09, 2012, 12:45:37 pm »

Turrets are automatic, so they'll target on their own.

I believe they'll also shoot through your vehicle if they have LoS.  So let's see that tank melt!
I did spawn a truck, and tried to blow it up with molotovs and explosives. Surprisingly, they aren't very explosive.

Maybe I'll try setting up machinegun turrets across the entire surface of a vehicle. Walls made literally of bullet.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9756 on: June 09, 2012, 12:51:54 pm »

1. Typically, it is better to spend your first day or two (when spawns are still fairly low) hiding in a back room somewhere drinking liquor and reading skill books, rather than trying to fortify a place.

2. Where are you trying to set up camp? If you're anywhere near a town, anthill, or swamp, you're going to face unending spawns. Quite apart from that, a stationary fortress is a long term goal, alongside a mobile one. Concentrate on getting equipment and gaining skills early, before the really nasty stuff starts spawning. The sheer amount of material it takes to make a decent base camp is far more than you'll gather in even a week, and trying to repeatedly raid towns with poor gear and skills is tantamount to suicide.

In addition, rather than a crossbow, you might want to try either a melee weapon (baseball bats tend to be good for dealing with skeletons) or a low-calibre rifle with a silencer.

As an example, here is my current game:

I'm basing out of that circled bunker in the far east, slowing building up a palistade, buildings, and a battle bus. I haven't even bothered with traps or pits yet because I'm far enough from everything that all I see are rabbits, squirrels, and occasionally a jumping spider far to the south.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9757 on: June 09, 2012, 12:53:32 pm »

-stuff-
First of all, write multiple sentences on the same line.  It's much easier to read.

Second - run.  Just run.  Any time you see a zombie, run.  Pain is what kills you most.  You might be able to kill a zombie, but the fight makes you wounded, and that becomes pain, and then you're slowed down for 6 hours.  THAT is what kills you.

Basic survival though?
1: Get behind a window and make the zombies crawl in to get you, you can usually kill them without being touched.
2: If you're in the open, just run away.  Never fight a fair battle, you should always have a good advantage like windows or fire.
3: If you step out of the evac shelter and encounter wolves, just suicide.  Just... don't even.  Wolves are very dangerous.
4: Don't try to build.  People jump to this quickly, but it's too difficult.  Building involves a LOT of time and it'll get you killed very quickly.  If you really like building, then pickup the vehicle mod and build a truck.  You can take it with you and use it as a weapon!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9758 on: June 09, 2012, 12:58:56 pm »

5. Molotovs. You're faster than zeds, so you should be running away when things aren't tilted in your favor. If you're hurt enough to be slower than them, light a molotov and toss it behind you, and they'll run straight through it, which kills most of the weaker variants.

3. Run Resize Enable

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9759 on: June 09, 2012, 12:59:13 pm »

Fight zombies from the other side of a 1 tile wide window, helps heaps, they usually cant attack you before you kill them.  Animal empathy is usually great, but I have noticed with some mods it seems to make all animals crazy hostile (I had I character mauled to death by squirrels).  Other things that help are walking around totally smashed off your face, drunk, stoned, high on meth, whatever.  Happy = xp points, and you cant lvl skills without xp points, often I try and go for booze before I get worried about a weapon.

I find a good build is 10 str, ok dex, 11 int and bout 9 per, with points in archery and survival skills, this will let you craft a longbow and arrows from wood, a high damage, silent ranged weapon that you can get more ammo for in any house.  Take 12 points worth of bad traits, stuff like ugly and truth teller are basically free points atm, NPCs arent really in yet. 
  For positive traits, quick is gold for a starting character, as you can outrun most normal zombies more easily, that and DRUGS, cause drugs are for winners.   Hiding in a room with no windows during the day, reading skill books and getting smashed on whatever comes to hand, then going out at night is also usually the smarter way to go as well, zombies wont track you from as far away if they cant see you.  Then nightvision perk is good for this too.

To make fire you (a)pply a lighter to flammable stuff on the ground, (petrol, books, wood, etc).

Shovels can be a bugger to find sometimes, if you find a house you want to fort up in, and cant get one, probably doesnt hurt to much just to cheat for one.

GAHHH, 3x ninjas.

GAHHH and again.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9760 on: June 09, 2012, 01:04:37 pm »

I'll prob play again now since the update with the vehicles merge is probably still going to take a while, it seems. My full melee mutation heavy build worked marvelously last time, I could take hulks on without being hit once. Tentacle arms are pretty fun :P
With enough CBMs and mutations you can become a veritable ubermensch, capable of surviving anywhere and tearing zombie hulks apart with your bare hands/tentacles/horns/fangs/hooves/claws.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 01:08:35 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9761 on: June 09, 2012, 01:25:54 pm »

Shovels can be a bugger to find sometimes, if you find a house you want to fort up in

Honestly, I gotta disagree with that. If you're living in a house, you're in a town, which means you're going to have zeds spawning around you all the time, and a few concretic circles of spike pits will take far too long to dig in a town, while anything else won't stop all of them. If you can't find a bunker, shelter, or missile silo a long way from anything that spawns nasty stuff, you're probably better off either building your own or staying mobile with a tent kit.

3. Run Resize Enable

therealmarauder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9762 on: June 09, 2012, 02:03:02 pm »

Okay, I like having a fire.

Still, how do you get all that stuff without dying? I might get a backpack, and I might not. I might get a machete, and I might not. I might get a pot, and I might not. Without a pot, I don't know how I'll be able to get water or food.

I was holing up in the evac bunker where I started. It seemed like it worked for a shelter.

I haven't been able to find tents or hold all the stuff I feel like I'd need just to survive the game.

I would want a pot, a machete or other weapon, a rain coat, a tent kit?, a gun, a backpack, a lighter, equipment which will keep me protected, like a helmet and a vest, a shovel, and so many more things, and half the time there are zombies already in the only town I can get to.

I feel like it's only one time out of ten that I'll actually be able to get all that stuff.

And why does the NPC disappear when I save? I want to play long enough that I can do the NPC's quest!

therealmarauder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9763 on: June 09, 2012, 02:13:13 pm »

Oh, and I did see a lone house in the woods once, so houses aren't necessarily in towns.

therealmarauder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9764 on: June 09, 2012, 02:34:02 pm »

And there's no option to simply boil water for sanitation. And I've never even SEEN a tent, so I have no idea what's up with that, and so acid rain will just injure me if I try to roam from a shelter. I don't know what's going on. I feel like there's some magic I don't understand to playing this game.
Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 777