Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263365 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10500 on: July 15, 2012, 03:39:28 pm »

How do you fail to "disarm" a spike board? How many times can you accidentally step on a two-by-four with six nails in it while trying to pick it up?
I've been wondering this too. The same goes for every trap apart from I guess bear traps.
How hard is it to not stand in front of a shotgun barrel? Seriously. Or a crossbow.
I know game balance etc, but it kind of makes me wonder if that 11 intelligence actually means the character is clever, or if intelligence actually means 'read books on thon own for thons entire childhood', because that's what it seems like.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10501 on: July 15, 2012, 04:30:32 pm »

Probably something like those dwarves with high analytical ability that still think it's a good idea to bodily tackle a carp.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10502 on: July 15, 2012, 05:03:36 pm »

How do you fail to "disarm" a spike board?
I didn't try to disarm it. My car was going at like 40 MPH when I noticed the trap nest. I thought "Ah, shit... I hate spikeboards" and ran them over. I also corrected the car's course before I hit the spikes, so I wasn't about to yank on the e-brake and risk getting flung out of the car head-first into a bunch of traps.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10503 on: July 15, 2012, 05:14:06 pm »

How do you fail to "disarm" a spike board? How many times can you accidentally step on a two-by-four with six nails in it while trying to pick it up?
I've been wondering this too. The same goes for every trap apart from I guess bear traps.
Actually, those are easy too.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10504 on: July 15, 2012, 05:56:25 pm »

Bear traps are easy.  Poke it with a stick.

A note on save backups: Cataclysm looks for the file labeled "save" when it's loading.  If you have "copy of save" then it won't touch it until it's renamed.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10505 on: July 15, 2012, 07:50:47 pm »

The game hates me.  I searched 3 towns.  THREE! For a wood saw.  Never found one, two of the towns even lacked hardware stores.  Then I go back to the shelter while following roads looking for tires (for that ill fated car I spoke of earlier) and I head out the north door of the shelter.

Directly north, not 5 spaces away from the starting shelter, is 2 wood saws and a wood axe in a trap-field.   I mentally facepalm and go to grab the loot.  And step on a landmine the moment I enter the tile.  Fortunately I live(and with decent hp remaining, but in excruciating pain) and I'm heading back to my cave with my loot.

This character is 8 days old, and the item I have been hunting for for 7 of those days was literally a map tile north of spawn.  And it's a thunderstorm now, watch me get struck by lightning before I reach my cave...

EDIT: Close, wolf camp near my cave.  I'm somehow still alive.  But I just know the game is going to strike me down in some horrible, likely ironic way any time now though.  Maybe acid rain for 3 days straight so I run out of food...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 07:57:50 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10506 on: July 15, 2012, 08:52:36 pm »

Maybe acid rain for 3 days straight so I run out of food...
It's called "hunting", and with that ax and saw of yours, you could probably make more spears than any normal player'd know what to do with, train your throwing skill up, and then use the shitload of wood spears as javelins. Saves up bullets you'd need to dispatch zeds.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10507 on: July 15, 2012, 08:55:26 pm »

Yea that's why I was worried of acid rain 3 days straight, I'm doing pretty good with hunting, it would take me three days to run out of meat chunks.

...Unless there is some way to not be hurt by acid rain that is...

P.S. In other news while I was building a roof over my cave mouth a zombie apperantly decided to jump into the pit I was using as a firepit to cook lunch.  And it must have been carrying something very explosive because all connected parts of that pit system lit up into a solid red inferno that has been burning for a day and a half going strong now.   I don't even think gas would burn that long, or spread to nothing but zombie corpses so readily.  Wonder what he was carrying.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:00:00 pm by Greiger »

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10508 on: July 15, 2012, 09:07:49 pm »

Does a rain jacket work? And as long as you aren't out too long, you should be able to recover soon. I think. Haven't actually been out in acid rain myself.

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10509 on: July 15, 2012, 09:25:44 pm »

Yea that's why I was worried of acid rain 3 days straight, I'm doing pretty good with hunting, it would take me three days to run out of meat chunks.
Yeah, you could've been hunting the rats and the wolves or bears that harass you every now and then.

a zombie apperantly decided to jump into the pit I was using as a firepit to cook lunch.  And it must have been carrying something very explosive because all connected parts of that pit system lit up into a solid red inferno
Perhaps you should try digging a separate shallow pit inside your cave for cooking?

Does a rain jacket work? And as long as you aren't out too long, you should be able to recover soon. I think. Haven't actually been out in acid rain myself.
I've been caught in acid rain for about 2 in-game minutes, haven't noticed any adverse effects.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #10510 on: July 15, 2012, 09:41:31 pm »

I've been caught in acid rain for about 2 in-game minutes, haven't noticed any adverse effects.
Perhaps it might've been acid drizzle? Acid rain does do some substantial damage if you spend more than a few seconds out in it, also damages items by leaving pools of acid all over so remember to store your stuff inside.
But yeah, if pools of acid weren't forming on the ground, then you probably were just in harmless acid drizzle.

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10511 on: July 15, 2012, 09:48:14 pm »

Where is newest version as I am getting confused a bit with what seems 2 devs or versions.

Also what level of tool craft do we have now or is it strickly find everthing you need. Or like the saw hunt above proving to be fustrating. Could we not get a bit of metal and file teeth in it as a crude slower needs frequent resharping due to non hardened teeth saw.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 10:07:42 pm by Lord Inquisitor »
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10512 on: July 15, 2012, 09:55:22 pm »

P.S. In other news while I was building a roof over my cave mouth a zombie apperantly decided to jump into the pit I was using as a firepit to cook lunch.  And it must have been carrying something very explosive because all connected parts of that pit system lit up into a solid red inferno that has been burning for a day and a half going strong now.   I don't even think gas would burn that long, or spread to nothing but zombie corpses so readily.  Wonder what he was carrying.
Zombie corpses burn very well, actually.  Burn time is based on volume and mainly weight.  A heavy zombie corpse will burn for a long time once it starts burning.  Chances are the fresh zombie dropped some clothing, which caught fire, and allowed the corpses to spread the fire.  It's really quite fun to pile up corpses and set them ablaze!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10513 on: July 15, 2012, 09:59:54 pm »

Where is newest version as I am getting confused a bit with what seems 2 devs or versions.
Newest version is always here, as far as I know.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10514 on: July 15, 2012, 10:17:42 pm »

My currently played version is here.  It's Dropbox, and I'm unfamiliar with how it works, so if there's any issues let me know!

Will also add a .txt to list the changes I've made.
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 777