Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lemming-like dwarf behavior  (Read 3442 times)

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lemming-like dwarf behavior
« on: July 07, 2011, 12:21:17 am »

OK, I am trying to get a grasp of what causes this particular behavior.

A siege is going on and I have a trap-filled tunnel with unlocked doors to receive the goblin infantry squads.

The tunnel is defined as a separate burrow and it is explicitly not allowed for civilians - set this way before the siege started.

However, the moment a goblin goes into a cage trap the civilians start tramping in their to replace the trap despite the orders excluding them from that burrow.  And once a civilian
gets killed I then get the follow-on runs of civilians trying to collect bodies, clothes, etc.  Obviously I can forbid the items - but if they are already tasked to get them it doesn't help.

And if I lock the door to keep them out the goblins no longer have a path and will leave since the bait animal is already dead.  Besides, since the trolls have destroyed the outer hatch
 if I look the inner door the civilians start trying to go out another entrance, walk around the whole perimeter and enter via the broken hatch.

I find this flaunting of the burrow restriction rule very annoying since it otherwise appears to generally work.  They will evacuate tunnels and such after you place the restriction,
but cage trap resetting tasks seem to be ignoring the restriction.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
Re: Lemming-like dwarf behavior
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 12:35:21 am »

im trying to fine tune my psychic skills here, so bear with me if this doesn't apply to your actual question. I didn't read it and am merely responding to what i imagine this thread is about by the title.

Here's my advice on the situation...

either go through and forbid all the clothing outside, so your dwarves will stop running into death's gaping maw to retrieve them, OR set a MASSIVE burrow that includes everything inside your fort and nothing outside, then use an alert to restrict your dwarves to said burrow.

ok, i will now go read your post to see how close i was.

EDIT: DAMMIT :(
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 12:43:15 am »

Yip, I understand where you are coming from.

Usually, despite a burrow, activated, and all outside items forbidden, AND cleaning turned off, someone, usually a legendary engraver or gemsetter, will wander outside to clean a trap, or just admire the goblins at close range.

Only sometimes, and only when you're distracted with something important, elsewhere.

Usually only noticed in the flood of cancelled 'can't collect sock' messages, and the discovery that the crafty little midgets have discovered an unthinkably long and bizarre route to get out there.

I see this as a natural 'time ot get a new fortress' trigger...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 03:20:34 am »

The tunnel is defined as a separate burrow and it is explicitly not allowed for civilians - set this way before the siege started.

Are the Civilians explicitly confined to a different burrow, or are they non-burrowed?
Never pet a burning dog.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 03:34:58 am »

Two things you can do. 1) Mass forbid the traps and the cages in them till it's all over with d-b-f. 2) Go to you orders menu make it so items dropped from dead creatures are automatically forbidden o-F-<various option>
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 05:35:54 am »

Two things you can do. 1) Mass forbid the traps and the cages in them till it's all over with d-b-f. 2) Go to you orders menu make it so items dropped from dead creatures are automatically forbidden o-F-<various option>

let me ask these two questions.

are the civilians manually asigned the burrow, or are they set to it in the (m)ilitary menu?

failing that:

do the ones who reload the traps happen to be off duty military?
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 05:11:57 pm »

let me ask these two questions.

are the civilians manually asigned the burrow, or are they set to it in the (m)ilitary menu?

failing that:

do the ones who reload the traps happen to be off duty military?

(1) Burrows are assigned/denied in the military menu.  Most, if not all, citizens are assigned to all the burrows excepting I exclude babies and children from the
outlying tunnels and defense zones on purpose; e.g. There are Core, Outworks, Mine Galleries, Tunnel A, Tunnel B, Tunnel C, and Tunnel D burrows.  Pretty much all dwarves
 (and new migrants) are added to these burrows.  I then set the "A" in the military screen to specify which they are allowed into. 

It does a bang-up job of preventing them from working on tasks outside those defined zones when I want them to.  I need to tweak them all the time when I expand areas
or want a particular place in the outdoors visited - like to rescue wounded.

(2) The odds of a dwarf being off-duty military is fairly high since I have a lot of "recruit squads" where I'm trying to get civilians some marksdwarf or weapon
skill before assigning them to a regular militia squad for "real" training.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart