Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My embark screen animals.  (Read 1440 times)

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
My embark screen animals.
« on: June 25, 2011, 09:05:07 pm »

For as long as I'm playing I never remembered being able to embark with Grizzly's, giant rats cave crocs and the such, would that mean my dwarven civ is on an open cave or something?
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: My embark screen animals.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 09:14:54 pm »

Have you modded the raws to make those creatures tameable?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 09:24:16 pm »

making them tameable wouldnt matter; only common domestic creatures will appear in the menu UNLESS the entity's raw file includes the line [USE_ANY_PET_RACE]

So, did you add that?
Embark and see if anything else is messed up. You may also be experiences duplicate raw issues.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 12:18:11 am »

Dwarves have [USE_CAVE_ANIMALS], so any cave animals that can be in a biome that is within 3 region tiles of a dwarf settlement that have the [PET] tag can be brought by dwarves on embark. As the caverns automatically are beneath every tile, well, every dwarf settlement is above every possible cave biome every time. As such, if you've done the standard dungeon master workaround, you'll have access to all tamable cave animals on embark, though the dwarven caravan won't carry those creatures.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 12:23:06 am »

Dwarves have [USE_CAVE_ANIMALS], so any cave animals that can be in a biome that is within 3 region tiles of a dwarf settlement that have the [PET] tag can be brought by dwarves on embark. As the caverns automatically are beneath every tile, well, every dwarf settlement is above every possible cave biome every time. As such, if you've done the standard dungeon master workaround, you'll have access to all tamable cave animals on embark, though the dwarven caravan won't carry those creatures.

I believe adding [USE_ANY_PET_RACE] in dwarves or human entity entries, like elves have, will allow dwarves and humans, respectively, to carry non-domenstics on caravans. I've not used it, yet, but only elves have it, while human and dwarves don't, and they only carries domenstics. Will need a regen, though  :D

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 03:04:10 am »

im playing straight vanilla and have had cave crocs available on every embark ive done since the last update
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 06:51:13 am »

I guess the point then is because of the dungeon master workaround.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

ST753M

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 07:23:02 am »

(Edit: misread previous posts)