Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 5 minutes ago, I lost 200 dwarves in the blink of an eye...  (Read 6482 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

and the elves just fucking watched.  :'( But really, a bunch of friendly elf traders got accidentally locked into my main meeting hall, and one angry dwarf pulled the main magma release, killing practically all but 20 of my dwarves. But I got revenge on them, by lighting an entire room of elves, soap, giant roaches, and ghosts on fire. So, got any other stories like this?
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 5 minutes ago, I lost 200 dwarves in the blink of an eye...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 09:57:12 pm »

When a random militia recruit went mad, while trapped in the hospital with many hungry angry dwarves while a cave-in was being designed for the steam f.b raging through our halls (that was an update when they were near invulnerable if made of soft stuff). Killed more than 40.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 10:07:00 pm »

my champion equip with pure candy lost a kitten in the middle of my meeting hall filled with 60 other dwarves...
you know what happened
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 11:34:54 pm »

My control room dwarf threw a tantrum. Keep in mind this fort had several irreversable self destruct mechanisms.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 07:26:44 am »

And that is why my control room is controlled by a rudimentary AI, not a dwarf :D
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Taro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 09:11:44 am »

And that is why my control room is controlled by a rudimentary AI, not a dwarf :D
...GlaDOS?

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 10:15:37 am »

I once assembled a working militia before giving them rooms, or even a decent dinning room. My second artifact in that embark was an axe made out of gold(think so, was a long time ago). Someone died, the commander got pissed. Few moments later he goes berserk. Guts everywhere...
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 10:42:09 am »

Please, tell me more
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 11:10:32 am »

I use a magma pump to push pressure plates, and depending on what other pressureplates/levers are activated power is directed to different parts of the fort.

For example the lever to engage lockdown mode also engages a gear to provide power to other things, and then those things wait for the final gear to be put in place by more stuff.

It's kind of complicated and I used like, 6 bajillion gears, and sometimes things go horribly wrong, which is why I prefer it to a military.

*Mayor facepalms*

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 11:14:01 am »

If you haven't already done so you should consider going into detail about this system. It sounds quite interesting and it would be a loss for the common knowledge banks to have what appears to be a brilliant scheme fall to the murky depths of that ever flowing river, progress.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 11:16:37 am »

I use a magma pump to push pressure plates, and depending on what other pressureplates/levers are activated power is directed to different parts of the fort.

For example the lever to engage lockdown mode also engages a gear to provide power to other things, and then those things wait for the final gear to be put in place by more stuff.

It's kind of complicated and I used like, 6 bajillion gears, and sometimes things go horribly wrong, which is why I prefer it to a military.

you could update a fortress save with that particular mechanism.
and then make on a wiki a show and tell explanation.
even better, a youtube video.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 11:22:06 am »

It's really just an expansion on basic power infrastructure and using fluids for repeaters. it's just explaining how I put all the pieces together that's hard. you should be able to figure it out by looking at what's already in the wiki.

*Mayor facepalms*

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 11:29:22 am »

Can you DFMapArchive the map?
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 04:45:38 pm »

Either when my steel-clad militia commander couldn't find the rope reed fiber strewn about and went berserk, or when I had TWO separate kobold camps demolished by cavern beasts (a voracious cave crawler who was nice enough to deconstruct my wagon, which I had never gotten around to doing, and a giant cave spider, who rushed past a cat to kill five kobolds and rush right off the map). These camps were both hit before the first migrant wave, and only a few survived...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 08:07:17 pm »

The fort failed a mood and a mandate at the same time.  Casualty rate: 95%   Floor space covered in blood: 80%   Probably the best part was when the enraged hens took out a berserker who'd broken a nest box.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.
Pages: [1] 2