Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Interesting adventurer facts others may not know!  (Read 13609 times)

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting adventurer facts others may not know!
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 12:51:21 pm »

1]You can (W)ear cloth on your hands. I'm not sure about other bodyparts though.
2]If you kill the bogeymen away for a few nights, you can travel without them bothering you there anymore. (I'm not sure about other adventurers though)
3]Recruiting people from warring nations can cause a loyalty cascade.
4]Becoming an enemy of a civ resets your fame with them, though you can be a legendary hero to a warring civ.
5]Soloing a hydra is a very bad idea.
6]Dragons and Rocs are pretty easy to kill in hand-to-hand if you prepared correctly (supercreature agility, master armor,dodger, some weapon, and decent shield)
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 01:05:01 pm »

Why would soloing a hydra be a bad idea?  They aren't any more dangerous than dragons, and they don't attack once for each head.  They're just dragons with no [DRAGONFIREBREATH] and extra heads.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 01:22:12 pm »

Megabeasts are very easy to fight if you're good enough in shield using.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 01:39:03 pm »

Why would soloing a hydra be a bad idea?  They aren't any more dangerous than dragons, and they don't attack once for each head.  They're just dragons with no [DRAGONFIREBREATH] and extra heads.
Their size, regeneration, and multiple heads make them much scarier. I'd killed three dragons myself easily, but when I got to that hydra he bit my head off (I was layered in bronze). I had over 1900 speed, legendary armor use, fighter, swordsman, and a high master dodger.
You can deal with dragon fire pretty easily, but there's no way around a hydra's heads. The battle will last much longer and you're more likely to slip up. The hydra is too but he's got at least seven chances, you've got one.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 03:19:26 pm »

Their size, regeneration, and multiple heads make them much scarier. I'd killed three dragons myself easily, but when I got to that hydra he bit my head off (I was layered in bronze). I had over 1900 speed, legendary armor use, fighter, swordsman, and a high master dodger.
You can deal with dragon fire pretty easily, but there's no way around a hydra's heads. The battle will last much longer and you're more likely to slip up. The hydra is too but he's got at least seven chances, you've got one.
You might not be able to kill it via brain-smashing, but with enough wounds it will quickly bleed out.
Dragons are somewhat difficult because without a shield, their firebreath can be dangerous, but hydras are smaller dragons with walls of redundant flesh.

m4davis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 03:49:01 pm »

You might not be able to kill it via brain-smashing, but with enough wounds it will quickly bleed out.
Dragons are somewhat difficult because without a shield, their firebreath can be dangerous, but hydras are smaller dragons with walls of redundant flesh.
Lies I have killed a hydra by hitting the brain in each head

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2011, 04:08:29 pm »

Lies I have killed a hydra by hitting the brain in each head
You can kill by brain trauma but it usually takes longer because it has 7, that's what I'm saying.
@BunnyBob- The issue with bleeding it out in a solo match is it heals it's important bits almost as fast as you hurt them. When ganging up on a hydra this is often the best method, especially if your cutting off it's important limbs while you bleed it out. You're right about the fire but preparing is one of the most important parts on hunting dragons, while with the hydra you have no easy street equipment.
Overall I see dragons as easier for the prepared than hydras. That's just my experience though.

In other news:
1]Alt+Key allows you to walk into dangerous terrain(IE off a building)
2]You can hold hundreds of weapons in your hand(s) as long as you keep pulling(r) them out of your backpack
3]Doing the above with shields increases the chance of blocking (each shield has a percentage of blocking and they use it individually)
4]Being attacked in melee with any type of armor on increases Armor User (Whether they hit or not) which makes it easier to move in heavy armor (you move faster)
5]Though Dark Fortresses, Mountain Homes, and Forest Retreats show up on the map they don't physically exist and offer no protection from bogeymen
6]There are no bogeymen in the mountains, so you can sleep in the mountains if local civs hate you
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 04:10:36 pm by ArKFallen »
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 12:26:02 am »

You can target things like specific toes, eyes, eyelids and the like by pressing * or / to scroll while on the melee targeting screen.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Barnox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 05:42:37 am »

Throwing is a slow action: Normally an enemy will be able to take two moves for every throw you do.
I'm unsure if firing is the same.

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 05:51:21 am »

Throwing is a slow action: Normally an enemy will be able to take two moves for every throw you do.
I'm unsure if firing is the same.
firing is worse i think its 5 or 6 moves for the enemy

EDIT:oh and also wooden training weapons are awesome if you want to as the name suggests train your weapon skills they dont pierce any kind of armor, and hits to the head just glance off of their rope reed fiber shit...

just make sure you practice on someone who is alone, awake, disarmed and disabled
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 06:00:25 am by em312s0n »

micha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2011, 09:31:18 am »

you can Alt+move into an empty murky pool, spend the night safe from boogey men, and fast-travel out of it in the morning.

once i can handle boogey men, i travel until there is an encounters so noone gets hurt due to lack of observation skills. then sleep until dawn. when i get yellow drowsy i just sleep for 24/48hrs in a pond or other safe spot.

Dwarf Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • T' bread wi't edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2011, 09:37:21 am »

If you're having trouble starting a game as a filthy elf and can't survive long enough to get a real weapon, try to stab all the time with the wooden plank you start with, stabs seem to be the only elf weapon attacks that do damage consistently, everything else just seems to glance away.

(I don't know how unknown this is but I've never seen it discussed so I'm guessing it's still relatively helpful to know)

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2011, 10:17:56 am »

Remember that you probably always have a large copper dagger in your inventory at start. This is actually a potent weapon if used right (quick stabs to the head are devastating if they connect properly), and is definitely better than anything you have as an elf. I use it extensively, especially when my weapon is stuck and I can't be arsed brawling for it. Killed a hydra with it once.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

mcshmeggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2011, 01:01:11 pm »

Adventure mode is, in  a way turn based. You see, try standing still for a moment in adventure mode, notice how nothing moves. Then move and notice how everything else moves. This is really useful to plan out strategies in the middle of battle.

I don't mean to be rude but... no shit.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2011, 03:19:31 pm »

As noted above, throwing is currently better than archery and crossbow skills in every way. If thrown by hand, arrows and bolts still do the same damage as they would if fired from their respective launchers, and it takes less time to throw than to fire. You can also throw other objects, starting with rocks and sand and up to the armour and weapons of enemies and your own underwear. And don't forget the art of throwing corpses at enemies.

Do not forget that to tealth, you don't have to have any Ambusher skill. You can easily stay five or six steps away from an enemy and remain undiscovered, which allows you to use throwing wih impunity. If you find a bowman/crossbowman on your bandit camp forays, be sure to relieve him/her of his quiver, and do so with the rest of them you see. This might be cheesy at times, but really helps the survival of your adventurer in case of meeting a real night creature instead of a consort etc.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.
Pages: 1 [2] 3