Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Interesting adventurer facts others may not know!  (Read 13543 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Interesting adventurer facts others may not know!
« on: June 24, 2011, 11:53:49 pm »

If a previous adventurer is the enemy of a certain civilization, but the civilizations are not enemies of each other, AND you are a member of that civilization you can walk through a town where the previous adventurer retired peacefully until you enter the house that particular adventurer lives in, wherein that adventurer will do the standard "list kills" intro and try to kill you while everyone just watches.

Anything else you've personally discovered in adventurer mode, through research or otherwise?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting adventurer facts others may not know!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 07:27:57 am »

Horses and camels are scary.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 08:27:54 am »

you can actually die of burning. not just bleeding to death when your fat is being melted off actually burning.

I found this out in the arena when i was playing as a nightwing which if you didn't know sucks the blood of whatever it bights I was messing around and filled a room with magma, dragons and flying men like nightwings batmen and swallow men, then i played as the nightwing. THe dragons killed each other off along with the swallowmen and bat men, but since i flew up really high i stayed alive, i then swooped down to finish off an injured dragon only to be..... bit by the dragon that killed it. A dragon bit my leg and latchd on. The dragon was swimming in magma and i was flying a square above the beast. So i just kept biting the dragon to suck blood then releasing and biting again. the whole time i was melting because i was so close to the lava and the dragon was using dragon breath sometimes. After having all teh fat burned from my body i had another long section of time where the announcements declared that i was either blistering, being burned alive, or being incinerated. Since i was getting a perpetual iv from the dragon i did not have to worry about bleeding to death, and when i died i looked to my horrror to find that i had actually been burned to death.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • Prone to catastrophic apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 12:38:04 pm »

Due to so few dwarves existing in this version, I've found that the best way to get steel weapons is to look up mountain titans in legends and hunt them down. Even though the fortresses and their dwarves don't exist, the dwarven corpses and their loot still piles up at the lair of any sufficiently violent mountain titan. With enough kills, you're almost guaranteed a nearly complete set of steel gear.

tl;dr: Always loot mountain titan lairs before or after killing the inhabitant.
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 08:44:36 am »

When I play as a ninja-style guy, I get copper arrows, and when I shoot someone, that one copper arrow is enough to send them flying into unconsiousness. I'm starting to wonder if this is a bug of some sort.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 09:06:12 am »

You can take items out using r.
Desu

Cannabust

• Bay Watcher
  • Prick with a pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 09:15:39 am »

When I play as a ninja-style guy, I get copper arrows, and when I shoot someone, that one copper arrow is enough to send them flying into unconsiousness. I'm starting to wonder if this is a bug of some sort.

shooting arrows (or investing in cross-bows or arrows) is useless when you have a perfectly good arm to throw that arrow with, which will still cause massive damage, and even gives you more things to throw (like forks and heads or bugs)
Current Adventurer: Fel AXESEVER, the MOUNTAINOUS VIOLENCE
http://new-eggbert.myminicity.com/ind (WE NEED FACTORIES!)
Armok needs blood, I just do it with picks.
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 10:08:20 am »

When in aimed combat, if you see a "!" next to a line, it means you have a greater hit chance for at least 1 action for that body part. A "+" next to it means you will have a chance to deal a square or better blow with that action.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 03:10:12 am »

When in aimed combat, if you see a "!" next to a line, it means you have a greater hit chance for at least 1 action for that body part. A "+" next to it means you will have a chance to deal a square or better blow with that action.

Not necessarily, about the +; those usually represent the best possible chance of hitting. I've seen normal strike, normal chance to hit get a +. It's always good to have a !, though; there's a chance of a simple strike with that.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 04:17:08 am by Putnam »

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 03:19:00 am »

shooting arrows (or investing in cross-bows or arrows) is useless when you have a perfectly good arm to throw that arrow with, which will still cause massive damage, and even gives you more things to throw (like forks and heads or bugs)
Throwing is also much faster than shooting.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 05:33:25 am »

And When's the last time you were able to fire sand, driftwood, bodyparts, rocks, shields, large roaches, vomit, blood, hammers or fluffy wamblers from your crossbow?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 05:36:34 am »

And When's the last time you were able to fire sand, driftwood, bodyparts, rocks, shields, large roaches, vomit, blood, hammers or fluffy wamblers from your crossbow?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSU1jQoGIqo  :D (Yes, it says it's a slingshot, but it's not far from crossbow, mechanically )

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 08:02:16 am »

filling your waterskin on a body of water will give you 1800 units of effin water good luck lugging that around

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 09:31:58 am »

I noticed. I despise the weight of water, be it in the real world, or in the game. One word: A-N-N-O-Y-I-N-G.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 09:53:48 am »

Adventure mode is, in  a way turn based. You see, try standing still for a moment in adventure mode, notice how nothing moves. Then move and notice how everything else moves. This is really useful to plan out strategies in the middle of battle.
Blargh.
Pages: [1] 2 3