Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unlikely Friends Fight an Impossible Battle.  (Read 1035 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Unlikely Friends Fight an Impossible Battle.
« on: June 27, 2011, 09:13:29 pm »

Fleeing from bogeymen once again.
I was giving them quite a run for their money, but they were simply everywhere, and I couldn't get away from them forever. Eventually one of them would get close enough to hit me, and they would slowly dish out minor wounds to me as I ran on tirelessly.

I wasn't going to survive - I knew that much.
Then I ran into a Cougar. I expected to have my face torn off by the big cat and the bogeymen combined. But I was suprised to find the Cougar tackle the nearest bogeyman to the ground and start trying to rip his arm off. (It was because I was a werewolf.) Of course, bogeymen practically don't feel pain. Within the next few moves I received several messages announcing the bogeyman smashing the cat into a bloody pulp.

I really bad leaving my new friend to die, but now I had a chance to live.
I ran on, aided by another group of creatures - badger boars. (whatever those are.)

Of course, they didn't stand a chance either. I'm pretty sure none of them survived.
But I kept running.

Eventually, the various wounds began to slow my speed, encouraging the bogeymen to pepper me with more injuries.
I took one bad hit to the lower body, and my guts were damaged. I immediately started retching, which slowed my pace greatly.
On my last legs, I threw myself into the nearest body of water, hoping they wouldn't follow. They did, dealing wounds that crippled me so badly that I had scarcely the strength of an energetic fluffy wambler.

I dragged myself onward, still moving as fast as I could.
But it wasn't fast enough to escape the fact that my doom was already decided. My lungs had been seriously damaged in the deadly trek, and after I time my lifeless body fell to the ground - suffocated.

One day I will have revenge on those demons of the night... I will fight for the memories of the creatures that fought for me - not because they had to, but because they were trying to protect a friend. They fought and died for me. One day an adventurer will fight beside them against the bogeymen... and be victorious.

Or at least I hope so.

Post something if you like.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: Unlikely Friends Fight an Impossible Battle.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 09:34:52 pm »

Once upon a time I was playing a Kobold adventurer who used dual-wielded knives, and snuck around and threw things a lot. One night whilst traveling from one anti-kobold town to another, bogeymen struck.
The kobold ran for what must have been hours ingame, and finally found myself backed up against a sheer cliff leading into a river, surrounded by bogeyman. That's when, for whatever reason, the leopard struck. Now, Kobolds aren't friends with animals like elves are so the dalliance was short-lived, but for a time that kobold and that leopard fought side by side. The leopard would lunge in, knocking a bogeyman flat, and a moment later the kobold would pounce as well, sinking copper carving knives in the abomination's supple flesh. The kobold would kick a bogeyman in the leg, knocking him off his feet, and the leopard would jump forward to tear the prone nightmare's throat out. The battle lasted till dawn, because we weren't actually that effective of a team, but when the last of the bogeymen disappeared it was just the kobold, with only a few scrapes, and the leopard, slowly bleeding out from a missing leg. Taking pity on his new-found friend, the Kobold sunk both daggers into the leopard's head, and then promptly made a fancy new cloak from its fur.

In memory of that battle, my Kobold took on a decidedly cat-like fighting style. From then on he crept up on his foes, pounced on them, and then savaged them viciously with his daggers before trying to tear their throats out with his teeth. He did this for about two more "adventures" until a meowkin lad took his left hand off with a steel claymore. After that, he went back to throwing things and then stabbing anyone who's head wasn't caved in by their buddy's flying severed hand. He eventually died when the bogeymen surrounded him one dark night and curbstomped him in the middle of the woods.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 10:53:34 pm »

Once upon a time I was playing a Kobold adventurer who used dual-wielded knives, and snuck around and threw things a lot. One night whilst traveling from one anti-kobold town to another, bogeymen struck.
The kobold ran for what must have been hours ingame, and finally found myself backed up against a sheer cliff leading into a river, surrounded by bogeyman. That's when, for whatever reason, the leopard struck. Now, Kobolds aren't friends with animals like elves are so the dalliance was short-lived, but for a time that kobold and that leopard fought side by side. The leopard would lunge in, knocking a bogeyman flat, and a moment later the kobold would pounce as well, sinking copper carving knives in the abomination's supple flesh. The kobold would kick a bogeyman in the leg, knocking him off his feet, and the leopard would jump forward to tear the prone nightmare's throat out. The battle lasted till dawn, because we weren't actually that effective of a team, but when the last of the bogeymen disappeared it was just the kobold, with only a few scrapes, and the leopard, slowly bleeding out from a missing leg. Taking pity on his new-found friend, the Kobold sunk both daggers into the leopard's head, and then promptly made a fancy new cloak from its fur.

In memory of that battle, my Kobold took on a decidedly cat-like fighting style. From then on he crept up on his foes, pounced on them, and then savaged them viciously with his daggers before trying to tear their throats out with his teeth. He did this for about two more "adventures" until a meowkin lad took his left hand off with a steel claymore. After that, he went back to throwing things and then stabbing anyone who's head wasn't caved in by their buddy's flying severed hand. He eventually died when the bogeymen surrounded him one dark night and curbstomped him in the middle of the woods.
Nice.
Funny how you made a cloak out of your friend's hide. Classic Dwarf Fortress.  :D

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 04:32:33 am »

I once played a genesis mod bronze colossus and decided to leave civilization.  The funny thing was, whenever I was attacked by bogeymen, they couldn't land a single hit cause I was too big.  So, instead of being a threat, they just became a pest I had to deal with one at a time.  At that point, my bronze colossus had killed gigantic bears, big cats, a lot of other huge predators, and not a single one of them could stand up to me. 

One night, the bogeymen came, and I got bored, and then I started to see messages saying that a tiger was fighting the demons of the night.  I immediately checked my surroundings.  Indeed there was a tiger, who was tearing away at the bogeymen, but also receiving injures herself ( or himself, not really sure ).  I immediately felt pity.  I had killed tigers on my playthrough before, but this noble creature did not deserve to die at the hands of these monsters.  And so I tried to kill the bogeymen before they killed the tiger.  Unfortunately, the bogeymen just kept coming.  Soon I found myself screaming at my monitor, shouting, "Stay Back!  Leave her ALONE!".  But they just kept coming.  The tiger had killed some of them, but she was getting hurt more and more.  Eventually, she died.  Such a noble creature, fighting to the last breath against these vile fiends.

I actually think I cremated the body, or not, I'm really not sure.  That's the story of me, the bronze colossus and the animal in the world worth saving.   
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 04:35:35 am by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 06:57:31 pm »

He eventually died when the bogeymen surrounded him one dark night and curbstomped him in the middle of the woods.

Heh, that's how I always die.

But on topic: I was followed by a bear to a bandit camp. It tore off my leg and I was crawling away from it when I found myself in the camp, then it actually started defending me from bandits. I think it killed 3 and then bled to death while the chieftain was executing me.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 07:02:51 pm by Svarte Troner »
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.