Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DF Designator - A fortress design tool  (Read 39595 times)

Kali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Designator - A fortress design tool
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 03:30:59 pm »

I got a chance to test it on mac, the newly uploaded version should now work. Mac didn't want to recognize my pause key, so I bound the F10 key in addition to pause key to interrupt the process.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 05:29:21 pm »

i was just looking for something like this for ages :D, thank you very much, it hase some gliches for me or i just do not get the multi level designe yet, but still,
Here i come random maze-fortress :D
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 12:19:57 pm »

Went afdf for a month or so, so I didn't see the new version! Just started it and it worked beautifully! My only problem was I clicked on another application and had no idea how to stop it!  :P I'll be sure to read the read me before opening next time.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 07:27:35 am »

Oh, cool! Glad to see this went somewhere :-)

ActnMoviHeroBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 04:52:42 am »

the only thing is, it appears not to lik quickfort .csv files.
Gives this every time:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
works perfectly with bmp images, though i admit i haven't tried anything more complex than a 100 level staircase.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 04:54:22 am by ActnMoviHeroBoy »
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Kali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 07:41:40 am »

Gives this every time:

works perfectly with bmp images, though i admit i haven't tried anything more complex than a 100 level staircase.

Well I said some support for csv files, I must say I didn't went all out.

Looking at the error, you have "d" in your csv files instead of plain d. I'll fix it in a future version. If I get some more bugs/feature requests, I'll actually make one.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 07:44:31 am by Kali »

ActnMoviHeroBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 06:17:29 pm »

Gives this every time:

Well I said some support for csv files, I must say I didn't went all out.

Looking at the error, you have "d" in your csv files instead of plain d. I'll fix it in a future version. If I get some more bugs/feature requests, I'll actually make one.

sorry, i was unclear. what i posted was what the terminal printed. the actual CSV files do have a plain d.

i've been using the utility since the last post and i find i actually prefer the ability to use images instead of spreadsheets. it's a lot clearer and it makes designing things much easier, what with circle tools and rounded rectangles and pixel math and all that.

i am a bit confused with the green cursor pixel, too. some of the templates given don't appear to need it, as they work and don't have one.

regardless, this is going to make my life much easier. thanks
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Kali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 01:18:44 pm »

The green pixel directly corresponds to the place where your cursor is in DF. So if your blueprint has that green pixel right in the middle, then the program will designate the blueprint around your cursor in DF. If you add no green cursor, the program assumes there is one in the upper left corner.

Take the fractal blueprint for example, it would be annoying to have to find the upper left position to start in such a way that the middle directly corresponds to your staircase, it is much more natural to pick the spot where the middle should be and build the blueprint around that.

Also when you use some multilevel blueprints, the green dots will be aligned across multiple levels.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 06:49:42 pm by Kali »

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 03:33:38 am »

I'm having a problem with this program and that is that it keeps being a real pain in the nuts to get it to start in the right place. My blueprint is correct (because it works just fine 1 out of 4 times), but it seems to insist on relocating the entire blueprint 3-6 rows down. So for instance, it'll offset my furniture by say 6 squares down.

It keeps doing this several times, and I have to stop it with "Pause" and try again. I will move my cursor a bit, then go back to the center, run the "macro" again and poof, now it works. Any reason as to why it does this? It's one reason I'm starting to glance back at QuickFort instead of this.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 11:36:50 am »

I'm not sure how this program functions but I know with QuickFort you need to set [MACRO_MS:0] in the init.txt file to not get skipping in designations.

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 08:47:19 am »

I'm not sure how this program functions but I know with QuickFort you need to set [MACRO_MS:0] in the init.txt file to not get skipping in designations.
It doesn't actually skip designations. It just simply relocates the entire design downwards a few squares. It's infinitely infuriating :D

SauliusTheBlack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 06:20:21 am »

anyone interested in a designing side program for designator? if yes, I'll try to whip up a proof of concept.
Features:
- using the same colors as specified in dfdesignator ini-file
- save in .zip or .bmp
- pixel-by-pixel drawing(as in, you have some rectangles, ratio = DF default ratio or square. 1 rectangle = 1 position in DF)

input always welcome, but I'll probably not start unless there are people waiting for this.

Greetings
They died for their fellow Dwarves. They will be remembered, at least until your Dwarves see a particularly nice statue.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 07:39:34 am »

anyone interested in a designing side program for designator? if yes, I'll try to whip up a proof of concept.
Features:
- using the same colors as specified in dfdesignator ini-file
- save in .zip or .bmp
- pixel-by-pixel drawing(as in, you have some rectangles, ratio = DF default ratio or square. 1 rectangle = 1 position in DF)

input always welcome, but I'll probably not start unless there are people waiting for this.

Greetings

To be honest, existing drawing programs are more than suitable already.

What I want from such software is copy/pasting sections and rotating them/mirroring them, basic brush/rectangle/circle works.

paintbrush does that perfectly and more advanced software does more (layers and export of layers to ordered pngs for example)

I suppose gimp-plugin for color management and reading form ini would be nice, but not required: Simply creating image with palete from ini file, possibly custom color picker with designation names next to each colors.

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 05:35:53 pm »

It refuses to go down Z-levels, did I break it? :(

Kali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 04:18:24 am »

I'm having a problem with this program and that is that it keeps being a real pain in the nuts to get it to start in the right place. My blueprint is correct (because it works just fine 1 out of 4 times), but it seems to insist on relocating the entire blueprint 3-6 rows down. So for instance, it'll offset my furniture by say 6 squares down.

It keeps doing this several times, and I have to stop it with "Pause" and try again. I will move my cursor a bit, then go back to the center, run the "macro" again and poof, now it works. Any reason as to why it does this? It's one reason I'm starting to glance back at QuickFort instead of this.

Well, the problem is probably that a few keystrokes are lost because they arrive too quickly, a solution is increasing the delay between keystrokes a little. Open settings.ini and increase the delay values, it will go a little slower but will be a little more reliable.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 06:05:15 am by Kali »
Pages: 1 [2] 3