Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: So. Horizontal fortress or vertical?  (Read 6465 times)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Re: So. Horizontal fortress or vertical?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 05:20:15 am »

My current fort is more horizontal than vertical. It is in wide layers spread out over 8 z levels, with two main 2x2 stairwells.

I suppose the staircases do make it harder to make internal chokepoints, though I currently do have a lock-down lever that seals the dining hall / lever room with iron drawbridges at the entrances.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 06:41:51 am »

'I' shaped - very horizontal on a few z-levels spread evenly across the long vertical access way.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 09:55:14 am »

I almost always go horizontal, but I'm experimenting with the idea of building several small "villages" every 4 or 5 z-levels. Each level could have a different speciality. Each house or shop will have rooms above and below it for storage or living space. I might make tunnels for haulage and sewers for lulz too.

Later, if I get bored, I might carve out the stone around it all the way down so I'm left with a number of inhabited platforms standing on supports. I might place windows around the edges of each platform so beasties can't fly down the hole and avoid my traps and guards.

That'll be after my current fort is done though. :P
Pages: 1 [2]