Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Over-Under Water Reactor  (Read 15698 times)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Re: The Over-Under Water Reactor
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 09:13:09 pm »

Man, I thought the V-reactor was ridiculous (perpetual motion that provides an ever-increasing, completely waste-free energy supply?!  What's with that?).  I was not ready for this.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 08:45:00 pm »

I made a different, smaller reactor that had an output of about 2000, and was 100% steady output. Nothing was needed outside of turning it on in the first place. Looking at this, I might try expanding my designs.

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 01:15:50 am »

Time to create dwarven chernobyl
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 01:24:48 am »

This is embarrassing, but I'm not sure I have enough experience with the reactors to even follow what is going on here.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Kylarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 09:35:24 am »

With that much power, you could build a literal labyrinth outside your fortress as a siege entrance, each drawbridge and hatch cover controlled by the huge engine through gearing and timing areas. It could be a constantly changing environment. Toss in a minotaur or four to roam the massive enclosure and as a welcome party for goblins/elves.
You mean the ability to have endless training dummies, a carpet of eyestalks and tendrills, and a plant that both makes for some good grizzled sea man hard liquor AND the ability to turn your dwarves into the Night´s Watch...not reward enough?

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 09:46:34 am »

This is embarrassing, but I'm not sure I have enough experience with the reactors to even follow what is going on here.

I'm not sure either, but I think he's letting water flow between two decks of reactors waterwheels and using the generated power to pump the water into the reactor again.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 11:33:23 am »

It's fairly simple: On the bottom level, the water flows from the top (of the picture) to the bottom, where it is sucked up by pumps on the second level.  Also on the second level are wheels getting power from this movement of water.  The pumps take the water to the third level, where it now flows from bottom to top, powering wheels on the fourth level.  When the water reaches the top, it falls down to the first level to repeat the process over again.  Thus, you have a system where the water is theoretically always producing power except when moving between z-levels.  The pillars are there to help regulate the flow.

I'm curious as to why you didn't wall off (or floodgate-off) the bottom level next to where the pumps take up the water.  Just needed farming space?
All generalizations are false....including this one.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 12:57:31 pm »

I'm curious as to why you didn't wall off (or floodgate-off) the bottom level next to where the pumps take up the water.  Just needed farming space?

When the pumps are going no water can get into that area so it wouldn't have an effect. Also when the reactor is off I need that space for the water.

I've been taking my time building the reactor in my main fort. 12 game years or so have passed since I posted this and I still need to build 18 more waterwheels and get the water intake built. It looks pretty though, nothing like the mis-mash that this is.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 11:47:34 pm »

13 or so lazy games years later and I finally get it installed for the intended fort:

Spoiler: Bottom Level (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 2nd Level (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 3rd Level (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Top Level (click to show/hide)

Nothing has changed really other then flipping it horizontally to fit in the space better. All the gearing is there and the floors are paved over so nothing will grow, the only other thing to do is get the pumpstack set up on the right side of the bottom level to pump water in from the 1st cavern.

The best part? I have absolutely no use for it. For shits and giggles I should probably have it power a single millstone and nothing else.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 12:39:42 am »

Your power level is OVER 9000.  Color me impressed.
Man, beaten to a punch line by a necro, how lame is that?

Anyways this idea sounds pretty cool though I tend to find that I prefer to just set up several smaller dual reactors (200 power-a bit for mechanisms) to power what I need as they don't need to be refilled from evaporation if set up right and with the addition of a two more pumps can be made to turn on or off at the flick of a lever.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2011, 10:36:07 am »

13 or so lazy games years later and I finally get it installed for the intended fort:

Spoiler: Bottom Level (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 2nd Level (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 3rd Level (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Top Level (click to show/hide)

Nothing has changed really other then flipping it horizontally to fit in the space better. All the gearing is there and the floors are paved over so nothing will grow, the only other thing to do is get the pumpstack set up on the right side of the bottom level to pump water in from the 1st cavern.

The best part? I have absolutely no use for it. For shits and giggles I should probably have it power a single millstone and nothing else.
Sry if this is taken as necromancy, but:
imagine the speed of that millstone.....
"I gotta mill some plants......WHERE ARE MY PLANTS!?"
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

NightlinerSGS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2011, 12:29:27 am »

Someone should put this on the wiki with the other reactor designs.
Like I always say, elven females serve a... better purpose to me than the males.
This is a masterfully derailed thread. It depicts Necro in magma-silk thread. This relates to the great derailing of the Divorce Thread in 2011. Necro is holding up a pig-tail fiber sock. Necro is swimming. Necro is striking a defiant pose.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2011, 12:34:04 am »

Dwarf Fortress: "I build perpetual motion reactors for fun."

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2011, 01:40:26 am »

You mean !!FUN!!
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

NightlinerSGS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2011, 03:50:54 am »

You mean !!FUN!!
That would imply the reactor is on fire, which it isn't, unless you apply magma.
Like I always say, elven females serve a... better purpose to me than the males.
This is a masterfully derailed thread. It depicts Necro in magma-silk thread. This relates to the great derailing of the Divorce Thread in 2011. Necro is holding up a pig-tail fiber sock. Necro is swimming. Necro is striking a defiant pose.
Pages: 1 [2] 3