Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Will boogeymen attack -anyone-?  (Read 2323 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Will boogeymen attack -anyone-?
« on: June 30, 2011, 07:31:24 am »

My Night Creature adventurer wants to know if he fears the night.

So do my future lycanthrope adventurers, come next version. :P

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
Re: Will boogeymen attack -anyone-?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 10:05:57 am »

I think so long as you are an adventurer they will happen. But attacking anyone? Not entirely sure. I'm slightly curious as to whether or not they would attack other non-adventurer night creatures.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 10:33:25 am »

I'm pretty sure they spawn only for adventurers. After running through the legends for a while, I've seen no mention of anyone being beaten to death by boogeymen, which I assume would be fairly common, all things considered. Right now they seem to exist for you and only you; maybe it's a sort of immune reaction on the part of the world, the boogeymen acting like punchy white blood cells trying to destroy a foreign contagion.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 10:38:11 am »

They'll only spawn for adventurers, but I've seen them attack bandits - once had a protracted fight with a group of bandits near nightfall.  Eventually the bogeymen spawned up and it was basically a three-way melee.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 08:13:26 pm »

Awesome. I wish I had bandits to help me against bogeymen. They always kill my well-developed, demigACK!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mirefrost00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 09:36:33 am »

I was running from a giggling, Blink-ing host of these bastards one night.  Happened to run past a hungry-looking cougar.  The sound of its bestial wailing as they tore it limb from limb haunts me still.

I know why I fear the night.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 10:51:36 am »

I've had them rip entire groups of animals to shreds and people have told stories of them going into people's homes and killing them too.

THEN again... I still retain the theory that the Boogymen do not exist and are just a construct of your lonelyness taken to homicidal and suicidal ends.

SongGarde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 11:50:20 am »

They could also be agents of the other gods, out to remove the spawn of Armok (you) from the world to retain balance. All is not known, but we all know the Boogeymen are bastards.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 01:52:40 pm »

Well they one attack each other if you switch to one, but you can't walk to far away from the adventurer or you will poof.
You can walk indoors and murder folks inside also switching over would just make all bogey ignore you and willing to talk to you.
or is this a raw created bogeyman?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 08:50:44 pm »

I say the bogeymen are the agents of the enemies of Destiny, the Fateless. The adventurers are Destiny's unwitting champions in the ever-raging war over the stretches of the infinite universe, and the adventurers are simply humans instilled with Destiny's touch (as fortresses are settlements as such), and bogeymen are poor creatures that have been twisted by the touch of the Fateless, to fight the champions.  After the first poor champions of Destiny got brutally murdered, Destiny took the chance to instill the knowledge of bogeymen in the form of tales, to the townsfolk of the universe. Bogeymen really only appear when adventurers are around, being the anti-adventurer agents of the Fateless, and like opposite poles, the two attract. They disappear at town borders because at that simple reminder of the lives of the peasants who were erased from history and turned into the bogeymen, the bogeymens' wills show through, and they lose the will to live.

Good god. I will make a story from this once I have time to/am allowed to make an adventurer.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 11:55:09 pm »

I figured the bogeys were the discarded children of Armok... or possilby servants of rival gods, unable to incarnate fully within his world for but the breifest time.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

SongGarde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 12:47:16 am »

Stuff

I'd probably agree, except the game's legends mode specifically names adventurers as having divine origins. :(

Sounds like a good basic, but I think this was explored before...

Doppelgangers, as far as fated opposites (who invariably attract) are concerned.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 12:50:10 am »

I'd probably agree, except the game's legends mode specifically names adventurers as having divine origins. :(
Only if you choose Demigod as your level.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 01:16:23 am »

I personally believe that they are a cheap game mechanic to keep you from wandering off on your own like an idiot early on.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 01:16:03 pm »

They'll only spawn for adventurers, but I've seen them attack bandits - once had a protracted fight with a group of bandits near nightfall.  Eventually the bogeymen spawned up and it was basically a three-way melee.
This is almost as awesome as that time I was attacked by wolves only to have a horde of skeletal carp burst forth from a nearby river to attack them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: [1] 2