Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Introducing the DF fanbase to a friend?  (Read 9060 times)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing the DF fanbase to a friend?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 06:03:01 am »

Also, I'm quite sure any modern person wouldn't be scared by that, looking at the sheer number of blood and gore type game players, we've grown used to the broken moral compass a long, long, time ago.

"looking at the sheer number of blood and gore type game players"

I do believe there is a slight difference between 'blood and gore' and 'completely inhumane and ungodlyly cruel thing to do, simply so a small project would work'.

But basically, (more or less) everything has been said.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 06:07:22 am »

Hmm, looking at the donations Toady gets, I don't really thing the fanbase is all that small.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 07:17:55 am »

I know from my experience the DF forums are in general the friendliest forums I've run across.  The least acrimonious, spammy, and cliquish.  Admittedly I don't venture into the general forum area so maybe that's different, but it's still a refreshing experience to be able to read through posts and know I won't hit vitriolic land mines.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 07:44:56 am »

-snipped-

We play for fun.  And we do it right.

So true :o

May I ask how long it took to write that? (All of it) It's very well written, quite poetic even, and of course it's a little too true.

Also, I'm quite sure any modern person wouldn't be scared by that, looking at the sheer number of blood and gore type game players, we've grown used to the broken moral compass a long, long, time ago.
About as long as it took to type, actually.  I'm poetic by nature, word structures just come naturally to me.

And we're not like other blood and gore games.  Pretty much all of the bloody games come down to violence.  You shoot someone or punch someone.  DF comes down to its base depravity.  You lock the mayor in the closet and wait for him to pass out so that he'll fall onto the spike pit.  This lends itself heavily to my first statement: We are evil.  The things we describe here are the things that the rest of the internet cringes at.  I was once kicked out of a guild in another game, because I described the kitten-killing ways of DF and that I play it.  The mere kitten butchering was enough for them to silently remove me next time I logged in.  I didn't even get into the mermaid farming or dropping migrants to their death in the dining hall - with windows to ensure they don't accidentally land on someone.  The moral implications of the things we do are comparable or above Saw level depravity, more-so because it is commonly done without purpose.  It's not just the gore of a peasant being struck down.  It's the immoral murder of an outraged mayor beating your new recruit for a whole month before a lucky punch strikes through his helmet, because your mayor was so infuriated by the lack of slade coins being made.  It's not just a miner drowning, it's convincing your fort's mother of three and dabbling cheese maker that it's ok to dig into wet stone, and then watching her drown, because you wanted a waterfall over your fort's walls that your dwarves will never see.  The moral implications of the things we do are beyond redemption.  It's a good think they're just sprites on a page.

gawwy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 08:13:59 am »

I was once kicked out of a guild in another game, because I described the kitten-killing ways of DF and that I play it.  The mere kitten butchering was enough for them to silently remove me next time I logged in.  I didn't even get into the mermaid farming or dropping migrants to their death in the dining hall - with windows to ensure they don't accidentally land on someone.

you know you really belong here with us.

one of us. one of us. one of us.

koolaid anyone?

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2011, 08:19:16 am »

I think one of the great parts of this community is that we're all equally crazy. Like-minded people tend to get along, and these forums are definitely one of the friendliest i've ever been to. Since nobody is baww'ing when discussions about murdering babies for the sake of desensitizing dorfs are running, i'm pretty sure it boils down to depravity and/or insanity. And by Armok, it's glorious!
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2011, 08:30:57 am »

I was hoping Shook would post.  He's got one of my favorite quotes from myself in his sig.

revara

• Bay Watcher
  • The entropic pluck of strings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2011, 11:59:37 am »

Alright, I have to agree with your arguments, Girlinhat.

On the note of killing kittens, I suppose we're all familiar with the perfect argument for why it is alright.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2011, 12:09:47 pm »

The most batshit community in the internet.

And also the friendliest.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2011, 12:30:00 pm »

I wouldn't say our Moral Compass is broken.
Elves,kittens, and magma are just magnetic.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 12:38:23 pm »

Just have them read Boatmurdered and if they're in hysterics over it they'll fit right it.

If they just enjoy it, well, maybe.

Surprised no one has mentioned the most worth LPs yet.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2011, 02:03:30 pm »

I wouldn't say our Moral Compass is broken.
Elves,kittens, and magma are just magnetic.

Elves share no qualities with magma. :P

Particularly not magnetism, because otherwise we'd gather elves to summon magma from the depths.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2011, 02:09:08 pm »

kittens
I really prefer to apply the battle axes and magma to puppies, but then again, I adore cats for their aloofness... so there ya go.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2011, 03:33:56 pm »

Magma and elves are both magnetic on the moral compass.  They're just not the same magnets.  Magma is (obviously) north, and Elves point somewhere between the vicinity of London and Naples.  Coincidentally, kittens are inert, while kitten socks point south, waterfalls make the compass spin, and migrants represent a poorly-understood 'grey area' that makes the normal moral rules not apply.
Pages: 1 [2] 3