Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Introducing the DF fanbase to a friend?  (Read 9048 times)

Tlc2011

• Bay Watcher
  • ..No idea what to put here.
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing the DF fanbase to a friend?
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2011, 04:17:14 pm »

I found out about DF when it was in the old 40d period.

Took one fort...And went idiotic and started thinking burrow was the command for digging.

Couldn't tell what anything was, and what the fuck i was doing. Then i tried adventurer mode three years later.

It was glorious. And now here i am trying to figure out how to irrigate farms without flooding the fort. Even tried flooding a 2x2 area with pond water and draining it.

I love DF. Mainly because of the fact i can 1hit a night creature with a copper axe. And i've fought a bronze colossus!..Yeah, i'm experienced. I just can't play Dwarf mode properly.

EDIT: I also love Phoebus's textures. I also use Genesis and Kobold Camp. And i think the succubus mod is something that shouldn't exist. :EDIT

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2011, 04:34:11 pm »

This is the second community I've run across that, as a group, doesn't make me want to drill a hole in my head. It's the first that I actually bothered to settle into. FOOK (FallOut Overhaul Kit) was the first, but I haven't really been back there after I got tired of New Vegas (6 or 7 playthroughs, probably more).
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2011, 02:21:07 am »

how to irrigate farms without flooding the fort. Even tried flooding a 2x2 area with pond water and draining it.
Unless you're not on soil, you don't have to irrigate to farm anymore. That irrigation age ended at around version .18 or so.

But I am not trying to stop you from doing exciting flooding experiments with your fortress at all! Go on and keep flooding them. ;)
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2011, 03:28:23 am »

how to irrigate farms without flooding the fort. Even tried flooding a 2x2 area with pond water and draining it.
Unless you're not on soil, you don't have to irrigate to farm anymore. That irrigation age ended at around version .18 or so.

But I am not trying to stop you from doing exciting flooding experiments with your fortress at all! Go on and keep flooding them. ;)
Wait, what did you say about the irrigation age gone? /facepalm
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2011, 09:45:58 am »

Wait, what did you say about the irrigation age gone? /facepalm
If you want to farm your plump helmets on soil, you don't need to irrigate anymore. You only need to do some minor flooding if you want to have the farming plot further down, on rock surfaces.

That's what I meant with "age of irrigation gone".
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2011, 03:50:09 pm »

The best way to explain the fanbase, is that we are debase, violent, OCD, and we schedule our psychotic breaks with train-station frequency.  But, in all that, we are real.  We don't puff up, we don't brag (ok we do), we don't cheat and lie and troll (much).  What we do is what we play, and we're earnest in our endeavors and we're open with our relationships to other fans.  You want to know how to designate a stockpile?  We'll put you on the experimental multiplayer server and hold your hand.  You need to kill a mayor very fast?  We will outline the details of a magma purge system within ten minutes.  Tired of tantrum spirals?  We can engineer a death fall trap in your dining hall, organized and synchronized to encourage death at the times of highest foot traffic and designed so that none of the falling animals/migrants are accidentally saved by landing on a wandering dwarf.

We are sick.  And we do it right.

The game itself also lends credence to the fanbase's style.  Your fort will die.  It will.  You will not win.  You will only have fun as you come closer to failure.  Your entire goal is to have fun, as the only measurable success of a fort is enjoyment.  Got steel clad legendary axedwarves?  Got a platinum plated dining hall with waterfalls?  Got a magma-duct that ritually kills goblin sieges with clockwork precision?  It doesn't matter, because you will fail.  The only measure of success, is how much you enjoyed the route to failure.  That's what makes Dwarf Fortress, and its players, so unique.  We don't strive to level up, or to get top-tier gear, or to finish the quests, or to earn achievements.

We play for fun.  And we do it right.

Holy fucking shit. I didn't even bother reading the rest of the thread.

EDIT:
I read the rest of the thread.
And I will have this fucking tattooed on by back.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 04:03:50 pm by Crazy Cow »

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2011, 06:06:57 pm »

The quote or the thread?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Dantrithor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2011, 06:44:55 pm »

I have found out that the forums related to games with very high learning curves tend to be the forums with very stable, reasonable, and cool people and conversations. That's the reason I love crawling here and in the Egosoft forums too.

And... I hope Crazy Cow meant the thread. It'd make for an awesome tatoo. With the lines and all that!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2011, 10:12:19 am »

We are evil.

This. Simply this. Want to describe the df fandom to anyone? Show them this thread.

Deathsword approves.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 2 [3]