Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Effects of [TRAINING] token  (Read 957 times)

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Effects of [TRAINING] token
« on: July 03, 2011, 04:51:29 pm »

Does the [TRAINING] token have any effects other than forcing the weapons to be made from wood?

I'm thinking of adding some weapons like quarter staves, clubs, pickaxe-handles, etc, that would idealy be made from wood.

I know all the existing training weapons are useless in combat, but is that just because of their stats (and the fact that they are wood), or does the [TRAINING] token itself automatically nerf them?
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: Effects of [TRAINING] token
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 04:59:08 pm »

I think it also causes the wielder to pull their punches. But I haven't done the testing to confirm that, and it's all based on what I've seen.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 05:12:18 pm »

Permitted melee weapons, by default, will be available at the forge and cannot be made of wood.  The [TRAINING] token removes the metal versions and allows only the wooden versions.  As of (I forget which version, sometime early in the 0.31's), any weapon can be used for training without risk of injury, and training weapons can be used to some effect in combat - though they're horribly ineffective, but this is due only to being made of wood and not the token itself.

In short, the [TRAINING] token removes all metal versions of the weapon at the forge and replaces them with wooden versions from the carpenter's workshop.  As far as I know, this is its only effect.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 06:03:55 pm »

training weapons can be used to some effect in combat - though they're horribly ineffective, but this is due only to being made of wood and not the token itself.

I'm pretty sure the ineffectiveness comes from them only having high-contact-area blunt attacks - put the proper edged attacks on a training sword and it'll probably do at least as much damage as a wooden sword obtained from the Elves.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 06:10:47 pm »

Ah, good.  Looks like I'll be able to make some interesting and (moderately) useful wooden weapons.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 06:14:48 pm »

Awesome. It might be that wooden clubs are actually effective. Science, anyone? (Might be me :P)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 06:16:12 pm »

training weapons can be used to some effect in combat - though they're horribly ineffective, but this is due only to being made of wood and not the token itself.

I'm pretty sure the ineffectiveness comes from them only having high-contact-area blunt attacks - put the proper edged attacks on a training sword and it'll probably do at least as much damage as a wooden sword obtained from the Elves.
I don't think that that's saying much...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 10:11:53 pm »

100 amphibian men vs 100 amphibian men
Training Swords vs Training Swords (minus the [TRAINING] token)

RESULTS:
Team 1 is the winner, with 34 survivors. Repeating now...

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 10:16:36 pm »

So, it forces them to only be made of wood?

Sounds like it could be useful for certain things :3.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 11:01:40 pm »

Awesome. It might be that wooden clubs are actually effective. Science, anyone? (Might be me :P)
I got a wooden large club for traps:
Code: [Select]
[ITEM_TRAPCOMP:ITEM_TRAPCOMP_WOODCLUB]
[NAME:bludgeon:bludgeons]
[ADJECTIVE:huge]
[SIZE:1600]
[HITS:1]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:4]
[WOOD]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:1000:400:bash:bashes:NO_SUB:1400] --Thunder hammer minus 600 pene, and velocity halved
So one can make early BLUNT trap defense using only wood and stone.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884