Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finnish LP question  (Read 647 times)

ffaerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finnish LP question
« on: July 04, 2011, 06:01:04 pm »

As many of us, I also enjoy playing DF while listening to some LP on background (spoiled by captnduck, really) and I stumbled upon this LP on youtube which is (at least it says so) in Finnish. Which made me wonder does Finnish really have words like 'highlight' and such words of English origin in its vocabulary? Are there many? Do speakers just casually mix-in the foreign words, like many communities in my native corner of Internet use to? I would've asked the author, really, but uhm, I don't really speak Finnish and I don't want to go around offending people privately or I am just a little shy. It's more fun in public, either way.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 06:04:30 pm by ffaerie »

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
Re: Finnish LP question
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 06:56:08 pm »

I don't know about finnish in specific, but in general, linguistic purists take the basics of the loanword and construct it using bases native to their languages. Like in Iceland, telephone approximates to like, voice-wire or something like that. Non-purists will probably use a lot more loanwords. (Like Spanish, the word for bluejeans is just bluejeans) So they probably do have their own words for these things.
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

ffaerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 07:02:23 pm »

Well, I was peacefully playing listening along and at some point it struck me he said 'highlighting' or maybe 'highlighted' and I was like that's gotta be no way a Finnish word. It's 'podsvetit' in Russian so I wonder if people just stopped bothering with making up words and just do as they go with English ones. This field of language theory fascinates me and I'd like more input on this.

Also, am I terrible for listening to specifically a DF LP when playing DF? It doesn't happen with other games, really.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 08:38:36 pm »

Why were you listening to a Finnish LP is you don't speak Finnish?  ???
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

ffaerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 09:06:17 pm »

Why were you listening to a Finnish LP is you don't speak Finnish?  ???

I like his voice and I have exhausted the steady supply of LPs that got me going. I wonder why noone apart from some Czech back in 2008 has any LPs in Slavic languages..

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 09:08:15 pm »

Official Finnish word is Kohokahto, but I suppose he might have just used an English word. Either that or it was a false cognate.
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

ffaerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 09:23:08 pm »

Official Finnish word is Kohokahto, but I suppose he might have just used an English word. Either that or it was a false cognate.
That'll do. He just said 'quantun stockpile' in an inexplicable tone, so I love him all over again.

ffaerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 09:25:17 pm »

What does 'kurayosh' mean, when he switches his architects? Oh, so he says 'pisses off', okay. He's maybe just of Finnish origin I don't know. But damned if I knew, he sounds really nice if somewhat bored. The european English of captnduck is what keeps bringing me back again and again since 2d times of famous Lps. Should've realized he was Dutch.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 09:29:35 pm by ffaerie »

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 11:35:46 pm »

In general - modern Finnish, especially youth slang, has so many English loanwords that some more concerned individuals are occasionally trying to protect their language by opposing such foreign influences!

But yeah, "highlight" is occasionally used in Finnish, although it's one of the rarer ones. It may also sound a lot like "hai laittaa" which is more traditional Finnish but probably nonsensical ("a shark puts").

What does 'kurayosh' mean, when he switches his architects?

Have no clue... I should listen to it myself but I'm at work so I can't. I can post to game forums though! :D
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 03:38:11 am »

It's a known fact that a lot of Finnish words, when translated from English, sound really stupid one way or another.
It's also a factor that a lot of people online know English already so it's easier to use the English words for some actions and just throw a Finnish twist, like with "hai laitata" to 'em.