Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Next update, the biggest update since the 30.00???!!  (Read 6737 times)

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Next update, the biggest update since the 30.00???!!
« on: July 02, 2011, 04:03:15 pm »

seriously, I've been waiting to play this until his next update comes up; I been coming to toady's blog everyday and it sounds HUGE.  I thought we would of had a bunch of little update but no, this guy is doing so much i'm excited.

what about you guys? necromancers! fully developed towns! underground catacombs! and so much more!!!!

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Re: Next update, the biggest update since the 30.00???!!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 04:18:56 pm »

fighting hordes of the animated dead.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 04:34:31 pm »

interactions! That's the best part.

Oh, and the town rewrite is wonderful. I like the idea of not having to dope around the wilderness looking for my quest target.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 06:08:19 pm »

I'll probably try to use the JustEmbark utility to embark on top of a human city, and make my fortress in their sewers.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 06:31:02 pm »

Is there any idea what sort of interaction undead is going to have with play fortresses? Because i'd love to see, say, a single necromancer arrive at the fort "pah, i think". Then he walks over to the refuse pile with the goblin corpses from the last siege. "whoops i think". After battering down my defenses, he makes his ways to the crypt. After that dwarves are killed by their reanimated friends aswell as goblins. something like that would be epic.
Magma is overrated.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 06:40:28 pm »

Is there any idea what sort of interaction undead is going to have with play fortresses? Because i'd love to see, say, a single necromancer arrive at the fort "pah, i think". Then he walks over to the refuse pile with the goblin corpses from the last siege. "whoops i think". After battering down my defenses, he makes his ways to the crypt. After that dwarves are killed by their reanimated friends aswell as goblins. something like that would be epic.

Necromancers were confirmed on Toady's devlog to invade your fort, as well as just send zombie hordes at you without necessarily being present. If you embark in the revamped (he he) evil regions, dead things can periodically rise up to harass you. Werewolfs will attack you too (although I suppose they aren't really undead). Not sure what the deal with vampires is.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 06:43:12 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 07:27:41 pm »

From the sounds of what I heard on the DFTalk (nothing confirmed) it seems that it will be possible for migrants to sometimes be vampires or werebeasties.

Wearbeasts will suddenly change and start tearing the crap outta whoever is near them when their trigger occurs (like the full moon) likely infecting them as well if they don't manage to kill them before the moon phase changes. Unknown what dwarves think of the werebeast after they change back.  Toady mentioned that they go about as if nothing happened in the version he had during the talk, but it's unknown if that changed. 

Werebeasts will also apperantly enter from the edge of the map now and then right before their triggering event*, change, attack, and then flee.

Vampires will be much more subtle I imagine, it seems Toady's idea for them is for them to be hard to detect.  But there isn't much info on them.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 07:29:21 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 07:38:28 pm »

I was more wondering about the reanimating part of a necromancer attack then them actually attacking. I had seen it mentioned that they would attack in one of the dev logs, but I don't follow the DFtalks. Ether way, its going to be fun.
Magma is overrated.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 07:44:46 pm »

Oh yea, what you said up there should be able to happen.  They can reanimate an unlimited number of corpses during play.

It is unknown what the range on that will be, but any goblin, elf, or trader corpses and severed limbs left to rot outside your front gate are free to be raised as zombies or skeletons.  Including that one dead dragon you left to rot outside your front gate.  Or that one giant that was chopped into 20 pieces and left to rot.

And in case it wasn't mentioned enough, severed bits can be reanimated seperately from their bodies.  Though there are some requirements for the limb.  It pretty much just throws out things like getting attacked by stuff like zombie spleens.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 07:48:38 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 07:52:45 pm »

Maybe with vampires, nothing will show up on your action report screen, but you just suddenly see 'Urist McVictim has bled to death'. "What?! Urist McVictim was no-where near anything dangerous!!" You say, and examine the corpse, spread in some disused part of your tunnels. It has two small puncture wounds on the neck...

So then you have to actually watch your dwarves, closely, until you see some clue as to who the vampire is. And then... Lock them in a glass above-ground chamber or something? I dunno, didn't think that far ahead. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 01:36:17 am »

From the sounds of what I heard on the DFTalk (nothing confirmed) it seems that it will be possible for migrants to sometimes be vampires or werebeasties.

Are you sure? I don't remember nothing about it. Apart from the historical figures who visit your fortress - kings ans liasons - any migrant dwarf is generated on the spot.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 09:06:53 am »

I do recall hearing something along those lines in one of the talks, you'd think after listening to all the talks 20 times at work I would remember the exact quote, heh.  I'll post an edit with it once I finish combing the transcript for it.

Quote from: DF Talk 14
Rainseeker:   Well that would be interesting too, I mean if you hired a guard that happened to be a vampire and he was in your party what does that mean?

Toady:   Yeah, because you could have... in your adventure one of your companions could be a vampire and you not know it; one of your migrants that arrives at your fortress could be a vampire and you don't know it ...

Rainseeker:   Ooh, that would be very Fun. That is, capital 'F' Fun.

Toady:   Yeah, so it's cool.

Rainseeker:   Vampire Fortress at that point.

It's a little vague if it is actually in or not but it seems to me it is.  I may have been mistaken on the werebeasts.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 09:13:09 am by Greiger »

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 09:42:27 am »

What are interactions? I failed to read properly/understand what they are.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 09:50:23 am »

It seems to be the new name for the syndrome system.  I believe the name change was due to the syndromes now being able to have both positive and negative effects, as well as the werebeast and vampire effects.  As well as a general expansion on how they can be applied.

I think of it as syndromes 2.0.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 10:12:54 am »

I do recall hearing something along those lines in one of the talks, you'd think after listening to all the talks 20 times at work I would remember the exact quote, heh.  I'll post an edit with it once I finish combing the transcript for it.

Quote from: DF Talk 14
Rainseeker:   Well that would be interesting too, I mean if you hired a guard that happened to be a vampire and he was in your party what does that mean?

Toady:   Yeah, because you could have... in your adventure one of your companions could be a vampire and you not know it; one of your migrants that arrives at your fortress could be a vampire and you don't know it ...

Rainseeker:   Ooh, that would be very Fun. That is, capital 'F' Fun.

Toady:   Yeah, so it's cool.

Rainseeker:   Vampire Fortress at that point.

It's a little vague if it is actually in or not but it seems to me it is.  I may have been mistaken on the werebeasts.

Then it would be a great change, as either we would start receiving historical figures as migrants, or vampires/werecreatures/whatevers would be generated on spot (currently they are always historical figures). I would like the first option more. :).
Pages: [1] 2 3