Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Xenocide: the roguelike  (Read 2873 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Xenocide: the roguelike
« on: July 02, 2011, 04:43:08 pm »

I was kind of wondering if anyone else had ever played this. Xenocide a Sci-Fi roguelike that's been out of development since 2007. It's clearly unfinished, with numerous item descriptions missing, and the tutorial section warning that several parts of the game haven't been implemented yet, but it's still quite playable. Really atmospheric too, especially for a roguelike, even with the occasional missing item description. There's music and sound effects, and the levels manage look like parts of a spaceship rather than an underground dungeon.

The bits I've seen, anyway. I haven't made it past level four of the shuttle yet. From what I hear, there will be different environments later. That's a large part of why I made the thread, actually. Does anyone have any survival tips?

Official site. Note lack of almost everything.
Review at the Temple of the Roguelike.
Roguebasin page. Short by informative.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Xenocide: the roguelike
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 04:47:11 pm »

Yup. I played it for a while when it was still being developed. It could have been a really great rogue-like if it was ever finished.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 05:26:36 pm »

Yeah, I checked it out a few months ago, it really bums me out it stopped being developed. I mean, custom alien-killing sentry-turret floor cleaners!

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 07:48:49 am »

Well, for my part, I managed to get to the surface. Ruined my stats messing with the genetic thingamajig, and died to a giant wasp or something. It was fun! :D

coxhead andy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • web development company, web designing company, graphic designing company, mobile apps development company, web development, web designing, graphic designing, mobile apps development, web site designing, web site development, web application development
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 04:11:51 am »

One of my favorite games ever RL, I love playing with my DNA gene splicing machine with the strange creatures slowly transform me into creature.I higher still had some weird problems making it work, but it was only for me to play on a netbook.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 02:54:05 pm »

I stopped playing the game after I realised it was unfinishable.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 03:22:32 pm »

Well, at least the source is open. Someone might be able to finish the more easibly-fixable bugs and typos.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 03:55:39 pm »

Yep, a thing of promise,  Some months back the dev and a person or so were entreating others to help out with whatever they could---hopefully some industrious souls wind up doing so!   :)