Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Script Writing Help (And other things)  (Read 1113 times)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Script Writing Help (And other things)
« on: July 28, 2011, 05:03:18 pm »

Hey there folks,
So a friend and I recently came up with an idea for a pretty cool low budget psychological-horror movie. Since our High School (Which we've since graduated from) had a very nice TV Production program, and our circle of friends was heavily invested in it, we have access to the necessary resources and talents required to create an independent film. Granted, we only have two weeks before everyone leaves for college. But we're pretty confident we can get all the necessary filming (and anything else that people need to be physically present for) done in time.

As an aspiring author, I spend a lot of time writing. Though my skills are very unpolished, I don't think I completely suck. So after my co-writer and I get the storyboard hashed out tomorrow, the task of writing the actual script itself will fall on my shoulders. I was wondering if anyone involved in such things knew of any tips to the effect of writing good dialogue and easily-understood (directionwise) scripts? I've no theater experience, and when filming with friends before now we usually would just rely on improv as that lent itself best to our brand of comedy.

As well, does anybody know of any good programs that might ease the writing of scripts? I'm running linux, and gedit is fairly comfortable to use, but I imagine there are probably one or two programs out there specifically designed for the writing of such things.

Finally, on a less script-related note: Does anyone know good, low budget recipes for fake blood? Any tips for simulating the effects of LSD on a character? Home-made fish eye lens? Fake "cigarettes" and the like? (The latter we can probably just use real cigarettes for, actually)
I imagine some of these questions can easily be answered by just talking my good friend The Director, who volunteered to do the part and has actually won an award or two for his own films. But I figure going into this with some knowledge of my own would be nice...as most of what I know in regards to filming relates to the production of stupid/trippy music videos and non-sequitur sight gags :P
Not that it matters, I'm neither filming nor editing this time around.

Also, any crowdsourcing tips? We have a facebook group, but not many people have liked it and we may not even be producing this film under that particular production group (My co-writer in this was not originally part of Fre$h to Death Productions). Crowd sourcing seems like a valuable tool for getting capable actors though. We'll probably just end up asking around anyways.

Naturally, more questions are bound to pop up. Just wondering if anyone had any tips or advice on these various things.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Script Writing Help (And other things)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 06:22:39 pm »

Script-writing software that is free, and also used by professionals.

Screenplay formatting help.

There, you have your technical tools right there. Functionally, you will need nothing else to write the script. This is it. All you need for it.

The key to dialogue is 1) understand the character, where they are from, their mannerisms, 2) try to talk like this character when you're reading over what you've written dialogue-wise. Out loud. You won't identify problems with your dialogue by keeping it all in your head; It has to be spoken so you know if it sounds awkward.

The third key to dialogue is go over it with your actors after you've finished it. If they understand their characters, they will tell you the problems they have with anything, and you can modify their lines accordingly. If they like it just the way it is, then you have excelled at your job. Or they suck at theirs. Either way, you're in a good position because you're close to the people you will be working with. Use this closeness to your advantage in a way that many writers can't.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: Script Writing Help (And other things)
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 07:31:55 pm »

Thanks, man! Very useful links :D

I intended to allow everyone taking part to provide input on the production of the film itself, but I didn't think to go over the script with each individual actor as well. Thanks for that bit of advice, too. I'll even refrain from making a joke about that last bit  ;D
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.