Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Causing Lights to Flicker  (Read 17140 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Causing Lights to Flicker
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2011, 05:20:15 pm »

Do you suffer from insomnia or general lack of sleep? In my experience, a ridiculous lack of sleep can warp your perception in subtle ways.
I've never slept well, not even as an infant, and I do get insomnia sometimes. However, even when I'm having decent sleep this happens, and I've seen enough misperceptions on my part to be relatively sure that this isn't a hallucination.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2011, 04:09:33 pm »

Your cables aren't properly shielded, so they're getting interference from your body. Same principle as affecting your TV reception by moving around (I swear I had to sit in the most uncomfortable position ever to watch this one channel).
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2011, 11:36:50 pm »

That doesn't really happen anymore. In fact, Canada just phased them out completely, so that sort of TV will not work.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2011, 06:00:14 pm »

Could your eyelids be twitching, but not actually blinking? That would result in a decrease in light reaching your cornea (I hope I remember my parts of the eye right or I'll look like an idiot), making it seem that the lights are flickering.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2011, 10:05:23 pm »

I guess it's OK, I see lights flicker too, I suspect it's my eyes.

Also I electrically discharge on things, especially metal and people.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:10:49 am by justinlee999 »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2011, 11:34:22 am »

No. You're Jesus too
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2011, 01:04:14 am »

You're a lightning-mage. Here is the best path to awakening your power.

1. Begin noticing strange things happening around you. Shrug it off like it's nothing.

2. Walk home from school one day. Become surrounded by your worst enemy and his gang of hoodlum thugs.

3. Make sure it's raining out while this happens.

4. Become uncontrollably angry and, by instinct, extend your hand towards him.

5. Become frightened of your power and swear never to use it again.
5b. Become superhero.
5c. Become Darth Sidious and rule the galaxy.

When you become a lightning-mage and rule the world, don't forget us.

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2011, 03:03:51 am »

When I'm in bed, and incredibly relaxed, I start noticing the... refresh rate? of the light. It's pretty cool ^^
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2011, 04:03:10 am »

You're a lightning-mage. Here is the best path to awakening your power.

1. Begin noticing strange things happening around you. Shrug it off like it's nothing.

2. Walk home from school one day. Become surrounded by your worst enemy and his gang of hoodlum thugs.

3. Make sure it's raining out while this happens.

4. Become uncontrollably angry and, by instinct, extend your hand towards him.

5. Become frightened of your power and swear never to use it again.
5b. Become superhero.
5c. Become Darth Sidious and rule the galaxy.

When you become a lightning-mage and rule the world, don't forget us.
Heh...

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2011, 01:21:52 pm »

Hey, MetalSlimeHunt. A similar thing has happened to me for several years. We use an electric shower, and the blasted thing ALWAYS managed to trip the fusebox whenever I used it, but it never happened for the other people living in the house. It happened often enough (i.e. every time) that we collectively found it very unlikely to be a coincidence, but we have no idea what the actual cause might've been.

First we thought that maybe the buildup of steam in the room was getting into the light fixture and causing a short there. Installed a completely new room light, and I resolved to shower in the cold with the small bathroom window open to let steam out. It still happened every time, without fail.

There was no set time it would happen, either. It might happen after 5 minutes, or 15 minutes. I usually showered as quickly as possible to avoid it, but it still usually caught me. The water would turn freezing cold and someone had to go flick the switch to get power back into the house. -_-

Anyway, we never figured out what was causing it. I never changed the dials, never used settings that other people didn't use. About a month ago, a misshap required us to replace the shower unit, and it hasn't happened since then.

For lack of any better theories, my best guess is that it has something to do with the field of electricity our bodies supposedly have, and perhaps mine was just generally strong enough to interfere with the circuitry in the shower- which must have been not properly shielded in some way. Beyond that, I have no idea why I regularly caused those house-wide powercuts, but I'm just glad it doesn't happen anymore!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 01:25:07 pm by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2011, 08:08:50 pm »

Showers can be electric now?
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2011, 03:47:04 pm »

When I'm in bed, and incredibly relaxed, I start noticing the... refresh rate? of the light. It's pretty cool ^^
You live in Europe, I presume? It's pretty much the electric pulses that you're seeing, about 50 a second I think.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2011, 12:07:56 am »

You live in Europe, I presume? It's pretty much the electric pulses that you're seeing, about 50 a second I think.

Nope, Australia ^^
It's the pulsing 'sleep' light on my laptop ^^
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2011, 01:19:10 am »

Nope, Australia ^^
It's the pulsing 'sleep' light on my laptop ^^
Mystery solved. It's designed to do that.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2011, 05:15:37 am »

It doesn't look like anyone's asked... what kind of light is it?

I've never noticed it with compact florescent lights, but the full sized ones?  I can see them flickering.  Most of the people I asked couldn't see it unless they were specifically looking for it, but I always could (until I FINALLY learned to ignore it).  It drove me crazy in stores as a kid.

Maybe you're eyes are sensitive enough to see the frequency at which your CFL's flicker.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4