Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Causing Lights to Flicker  (Read 17128 times)

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
Re: Causing Lights to Flicker
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2011, 12:42:25 pm »

It doesn't look like anyone's asked... what kind of light is it?

I've never noticed it with compact florescent lights, but the full sized ones?  I can see them flickering.  Most of the people I asked couldn't see it unless they were specifically looking for it, but I always could (until I FINALLY learned to ignore it).  It drove me crazy in stores as a kid.

Maybe you're eyes are sensitive enough to see the frequency at which your CFL's flicker.
Scroll up a little, it's his laptops sleep mode light.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2011, 01:35:45 pm »

If we're still talking about me though, it includes both compact incandescents and compact florescents in the lights that flicker, but not full sized fluorescents.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2011, 03:03:59 am »

You live in Europe, I presume? It's pretty much the electric pulses that you're seeing, about 50 a second I think.

Nope, Australia ^^
It's the pulsing 'sleep' light on my laptop ^^
Mystery solved. It's designed to do that.

I mean, it's the light that goes on for a few seconds, then off for a few, then on again.
*Feels quite stupid for not making it clear D:
When it goes on, I can see it flickering

P.S. Sorry for derailing guys ^^
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2011, 08:10:41 pm »

Actually, most lights flicker a lot. Sometimes some people see it and others won't because they aren't paying attention. You probably paid a lot attention to see it. It's also about what kind of light it is (example: fluorescent kinda lights flicker less)

As for the lights turning off around you issue, it happens. I don't rembember how much lightbulbs I changed in my room.

Take a look at here: http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/ergonomics/lighting_flicker.html

Although humans cannot see fluorescent lights flicker, the sensory system in some individuals can somehow detect the flicker.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:52:33 pm by Leatra »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]