Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Your first Fun  (Read 5968 times)

Forteano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your first Fun
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 05:36:47 am »

Military isn't a requirement, at least until you start having trouble with trap avoiding creatures. The only operations my army has done have been executing captured goblins.

I didn't have any traps or anything set up – it was the next chapter in the newby guide I've been using. I was complacent because the last time I tried to get into DF, a year ago now, using the same guide, I remembered having a lot more time before I needed a military.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 05:41:08 am »

Military isn't a requirement, at least until you start having trouble with trap avoiding creatures. The only operations my army has done have been executing captured goblins.

I didn't have any traps or anything set up – it was the next chapter in the newby guide I've been using. I was complacent because the last time I tried to get into DF, a year ago now, using the same guide, I remembered having a lot more time before I needed a military.

I see. I lost quite a few dwarves to my first siege - by what I thought, small ambushes were supposed to come first, so I was caught with my leather pants down.

This was my first game that continued past the initial frustrations. I left the save sitting around my drive for a while, and when I came back, for some reason I just decided to spend all that extra stone and construct a huge wall around my fortress entrance with a 3-tile wide entrance corridor. I also decided to fill it with traps, because I was under the impression that cage traps were overpowered. Turns out I was right.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 08:43:11 am »

The first real fun I had was accidentally breaching a volcano... several z levels below ground.

There were no survivors.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 11:40:58 pm »

I used the wiki to get started with this game, so I never had any serious Fun – there was the occasional minor cave-in in the dining room – until I picked up 0.31.25 after about a year's hiatus. I had thrown up an interim line of stonefall traps to block my entrance until I could get a military and metals set up. Welp. Rocks fell, nobody died, sticks and stones broke no bones, and a six-goblin ambush squad carved through my entire fortress except for a tantruming child they'd overlooked, who died of starvation months later.

Fun!

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 05:07:16 pm »

For close to my first fort, I'd done some wiki reading, and decided to embark on a volcano.  Or maybe I hadn't done any reading, saw 'volcano' and thought "Ooooooh!"  It was a long time ago, shortly after the introduction of z-levels (I've had no experience with 2D).  Anyway, I somehow missed the notification that I'd found a cave as well.  There was a dragon in it.  A hungry dragon.  Things went quickly.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 11:40:43 pm »

I learned how to play without any help...

My first fun was when I didn't know how to make food.

My second fun was when I was presented with a tantrum spiral resulting from lack of booze of any kind.

I don't remember the countless fun's in between, but my most recent...

I pulled the wrong lever, opening many, many floodgates with lava behind them. I meant to close the gate. Most of my fortress died, and then the rest died from berserk dwarves, save the one dwarf I forgot to release from the battle room.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

k96spy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 12:14:25 am »

My first fun was when I made my arena and Had all of my captured Goblins put into a cage and stripped naked, then I would have my military go in their and I would lock the doors and pull the lever and watch as the goblins got smacked against walls and hacked to pieces by my dwarfs, I also did it with wolves. :D

EDIT: I think the best part was when I Put a dragon in their and the resulting Tantrums smashed the Door.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 02:09:01 pm by k96spy »

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 01:46:46 am »

My first fun was when I made my arena and Had all of my captured Goblins put into a cage and stripped naked, then I would have my military go in their and I would lock the doors and pull the lever and watch as the goblins got smacked against walls and hacked to pieces by my dwarfs, I also did it with wolves. :D
You don't know the meaning of fun.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 01:50:10 am »

You don't know the meaning of fun.

I think the meaning is right but the receivers of said fun were goblins...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 10:20:27 pm »

I was complacent because the last time I tried to get into DF, a year ago now, using the same guide, I remembered having a lot more time before I needed a military.
It varies from site to site.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2011, 04:41:26 am »

Wealth leads to more migrants,
wealth and a high citizen count lead to neighboring civs coming to you, for trading, harassing, sieging.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2011, 10:21:48 am »

As I remember my first fun was very very wet. I roughly knew how channeling and liquid flows worked since I even succesfully channeled magma under my forges, but I did not know how water pressure worked.
So my attempt at making a well fed by water from a river several z levels up ended up flooding more or less every part of the fortress.
Not quite as dwarfy fun as magma, but still fun.  :P

Something that lead to a funny situation but not fun was my first titan attack. My fortress was situated inside a volcano, and the titan could fly. When it tried to fly straight into the middle of my fortress around my battlements ontop of the volcano it plummeted down into the magma, killing itself after some very gratifying minutes of steam, magma mist and smoke. Lots and lots of smoke for one titan.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 10:25:15 am by Jelle »

Audioworm333

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: weirdness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2011, 08:32:03 pm »

I lost my fort that lasted the longest to a Goblin ambush consisting of no more then four goblins.
All because I couldn't figure out how to make an actual military.
I didn't really understand why I died until I discovered I was teleporting my own spine into my enemies' body as a primary way of attack.

Roflcopter5000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2011, 10:53:53 pm »

Did you know Sasquatches are building destroyers? Because I sure didn't.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2011, 03:08:06 pm »

I have had lots of Fun when embarking on caves (usually, my worlds only have one cavern layer) or forts (Just Embark FTW...except for the whole "Quickly Lose, Reclaim  Time" part...), but my favortie example of Fun I've had came in Armorsouls (link in sig as soon as I figure out where the "edit signature" button is), towards the end.

I did not realise that a fort that had once had 16 dwarves, now 15, would be sieged by dark stranglers. Two deaths, both from drowning, and the loss of some masterwork equipment. Biggest problem?
One of the dwarves that died "belonged" to the next player.
Oops.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 [2] 3