Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One year of madness.  (Read 1509 times)

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
One year of madness.
« on: July 03, 2011, 08:36:11 pm »

I just checked my profile randomly and notice that I have been a member of this forum for exactly one year and twelve minutes. I've changed a lot, matured a lot, and constructed countless torture/murder/sadistic pleasure devices. I would like to thank you all for helping me and being such a great community! Now before I start sounding cheesy, does anyone have any effective means of capturing a giant eagle? I'm going to build a sky castle for my dwarves to live in and then assign each dwarf an eagle. Preferably give each dwarf an eagle at birth (It would be so awesome if they could be born at the same time) then I want to see which lives longer, and how long it takes me to shed tears at the thought of having a lifelong companion eagle. I could just build a giant wall in the middle of the map with holes in it that have cage traps, but I don't want the eyesore. Other than the hippy elves, any ideas on how to obtain eagles?

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
Re: One year of madness.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 09:46:52 pm »

I just checked my profile randomly and notice that I have been a member of this forum for exactly one year and twelve minutes. I've changed a lot, matured a lot, and constructed countless torture/murder/sadistic pleasure devices. I would like to thank you all for helping me and being such a great community! Now before I start sounding cheesy, does anyone have any effective means of capturing a giant eagle? I'm going to build a sky castle for my dwarves to live in and then assign each dwarf an eagle. Preferably give each dwarf an eagle at birth (It would be so awesome if they could be born at the same time) then I want to see which lives longer, and how long it takes me to shed tears at the thought of having a lifelong companion eagle. I could just build a giant wall in the middle of the map with holes in it that have cage traps, but I don't want the eyesore. Other than the hippy elves, any ideas on how to obtain eagles?

Congrats on your insanity! Your idea is already making me cry stoic tears for the loss of my ancestors' unadulterated land. Unfortunately I wouldn't know where to begin with the eagles. Perhaps their biomes are listed on the wiki?

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 10:03:22 pm »

Perhaps you misunderstood me, eagles are native to my embark, and I can see them flying around, my query was on how to get them from +7 z-levels into +acacia cages+

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 10:12:59 pm »

A Dwarven way would be to set up a magma fountain that shoots out pressurized magma up to where the Eagles are, and place as many Cage Traps around the fountain as possible. The magma will hit them, and hopefully some of them will only have their wings burned off, making them plummet to the ground straight into the Cage Traps.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 10:17:57 pm »

Although very dwarfy, I was under the impression that pressurized magma has only been proven to work by shooting up one z-level (from where it is being held), or slowly (slowly) flooding the entire area. If only the magma piston worked though...Have there been any recent breakthroughs in magma cannon tech?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 10:51:08 pm »

One year and only 40 posts? I'm rather amazed.

As for the eagles: I recommend you make the wall, without gaps, and fill half of the map with magma. The eagles will obviously only be able to fly on the other side, increasing the chances of them flying into any traps by 50% or more.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 10:53:37 pm »

The most surefire way is to duild a wall all the way across your embark (you can get to the edge with cast obsidian) and also all the way to the top. Leave a few holes at the bottom and fill the gap with a cage trap. If the eagle wants to get to the other half of the embark, it has to pass through the cages.

Or a simpler, but easier way is to create a fair sized roof-covered area, and put small defenseless animals there (I guess a pasture would work). Fill the area with lots of cage traps. These animals will lure the eagles in.

Giant eagles are exotic, so make sure you turn that off.

One year and only 40 posts? I'm rather amazed.

As for the eagles: I recommend you make the wall, without gaps, and fill half of the map with magma. The eagles will obviously only be able to fly on the other side, increasing the chances of them flying into any traps by 50% or more.
But then again, this is much dwarfier.