Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mmm +Goblin Meat Roast+  (Read 5685 times)

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
Mmm +Goblin Meat Roast+
« on: July 04, 2011, 01:39:52 am »

As the title implies, I changed the Dwarves' ethics in the raws to consider the butchering of sentient creatures perfectly acceptable.  With that, I've began construction of a Goblin harvesting system.. also known as cage traps, plus an arena to both train my military and provide my butchers with workable products.  At the moment.. I just strip them and pit them into the middle of the barracks. 

The question is.. elf products anyone?

Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Mmm +Goblin Meat Roast+
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 02:09:31 am »

I did this long ago.  And then sold elf bone crafts to the elves.  I don't even want their larch flutes, I burn those right outside the depot.  But those elves are leaving with last year's merchants.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 02:10:15 am »

I did this long ago.  And then sold elf bone crafts to the elves.  I don't even want their larch flutes, I burn those right outside the depot.  But those elves are leaving with last year's merchants.

The joy of sustainable foods.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 02:23:09 am »

But I thought the elves wouldn't accept bone items?

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 02:27:21 am »

Nah they do, I sell them bone crafts all the time.  They just don't accept wood products.  Now if the bone crafts are in wooden bins, they won't accept those, since the bins are wood. 

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 09:36:09 am »

Contains both merchants and their pack animals from the first caravan that arrived. :D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 11:09:47 am »

Could you get elf bone in vanilla by dropping the corpses off a really high ledge? Same with Goblin bone?
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 11:33:11 am »

Could you get elf bone in vanilla by dropping the corpses off a really high ledge? Same with Goblin bone?

Not by dropping the corpses, dropped items take no damage, but if you drop living elves and goblins 10+ Z-levels they'll splatter into pieces, and some of the pieces can yield usable bone after they decay.  I haven't touched my game's entity ethics, yet I have seen my marksdwarf carrying elf bone crossbow bolts.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 01:49:36 pm »

The ethics prevent dwarves from butchering elves and co. Using them as crafts is no problem at all :)

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 03:22:16 pm »

The ethics prevent dwarves from butchering elves and co. Using them as crafts is no problem at all :)

So, I can't butcher a dead elf. But if I drop a living elf off a cliff then collect the pieces.... it's all good?
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 03:27:23 pm »

So, I can't butcher a dead elf. But if I drop a living elf off a cliff then collect the pieces.... it's all good?

Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 04:45:27 pm »

Yes.  There is great joy watching a goblin get shot with a goblin bone bolt fired from a goblin bone crossbow carried by a marksdwarf wearing armor salvaged off a previous goblin attacker.

General lack of heavy armor in my fortress due to tetrahedrite being the only ore - and the goblins appear to have a similar handicap.  Copper armor and silver weapons abound, plus the bronze
 and steel acquired from the human and dwarf trade caravans.  Which the melee squads get equipped with, along with this strange blue metal from the depths.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 05:29:16 pm »

'This strange blue metal from the depths' of which you speak is probably adamantine, the best metal possible for edged weapons like spears and short swords, but is worthless, and in fact hinders the effectiveness of, blunt weapons like war hammers and maces.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 05:37:07 pm »

'This strange blue metal from the depths' of which you speak is probably adamantine, the best metal possible for edged weapons like spears and short swords, but is worthless, and in fact hinders the effectiveness of, blunt weapons like war hammers and maces.
S/He was actively trying to avoid spoilers so...you went and started throwing spoilers around?
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 09:13:52 am »

I always thought that strange blue metal was cotton candy.. tasted like it at least.

Buut anyways, onto the subject of butchering humanoids, its extremely easy to change the raws to make it that dwarves are allowed to butcher (and consume) other sentient creatures.  Once changed, goblin sieges and ambushes become an AMAZING source of meat, leather, bone, and soap.  I'm playing the Fortress Defense mod right now in fact, so I have even more buggers to choose from when butchering.  Using cage traps liberally allows you to 'store' the meat and products for when you need them.  Plus, its great training for troops.

I even had one of my dwarves butcher one of their own (I think he died from thirst while in a cage, that he got into by falling unconcious over a trap).  They didn't eat the meat or use the leather, but they did completely "Disassemble" him and "Reassemble" him in a coffin.  I found it rather comical. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 09:15:56 am by Crustypeanut »
Pages: [1] 2