Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Highpeak succession fort- Game thread  (Read 2865 times)

Tendrake

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Highpeak succession fort- Game thread
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 10:47:56 pm »

Here are the profiles of our seven dwarves.

This is going to be the first post of my part, I don't think that one uber-post will do well, considering the lack of tension and whatnot. So here goes!

Diary of the Weaponsmith, Tendrake, 1st Granite 99

According to our local guide, we have finally reached the place promised. The land of riches, with a forboding mountain hiding the secrets of the earth, the land known only as 'Highpeak'.

Unfortunately, the name is a misnomer, or our guide is an idiot, because the is no peak here at all. The land is a gentle sloping rocky hell upon a forest plain with maybe two trees upon it. For his treachery, the lone soldier assigned to our outpost took him aside and slew him. We still haven't found the body.
The only issue is that we haven't got anywhere else to go, as our supplies are too thin. We'll have to make camp here and hope for the best. As such, I order our two miners, who I like to think of as Idiot 1 and Idiot 2, to go our and make a hole in the ground to hide our supplies, and ourselves. Also, I get our woodcutter, Idiot 3, to go out and cut wood.

This design doesn't particularly seem to have much in the way of defence, but I'm sure I'll be able to come up with something before we all die.

Dear god, that might be sooner than we thought. We have just spotted a Giant skeletal bird flying around. If our two local idiots don't hurry up mining that hole, we'll all be dead. Very, very dead.

Diary of the Weaponsmith, Tendrake, 2nd Granite 99

There are but two creatures that live here, by my reckoning. There are turkeys, and giant fucking flying dead turkeys. If we don't get that hole in time, we're not going to make it into summer.

Oh fuck.

Fortunately for us, the giant fucking flying turkey decided that our woodcutter, Kadol, would be a far better target to eat. I'm not even sure why, she's pretty skinny. May her sacrifice not be in vain.
Diary of the Weaponsmith, Tendrake, 3rd Granite 99

It took the bird a whole day to kill her. A whole day of watching my friend torn apart by the bird. What have we gotten ourselves into?
No sooner had the bird evicerated my friend than it ate one of the dogs that ran to her rescue.
Highpeak is now closed. Nothing gets in or out. Else we won't survive.

Diary of the Weaponsmith, Tendrake, 8th Granite 99
Okay, so I panicked once my friend had died, who wouldn't have? Now though, I'm calmer. Slightly. Unfortunately, we desperately need the supplies that we brought along, and I believe I devised a plan to get it away from the demon bird that is carefully watching us.

I ordered the miners to stop digging such a huge hole and dig a tunnel just below where we have the supplies. Then they will tunnel from above, and then we will grab what we can and run.

Diary of the Weaponsmith, Tendrake, 11th Granite 99
The eagle found one of our cats exploring outside.

I fear that all this death speaks more about this place that I hope. This mountain does not want us here, and it will slaughter us until we are dead.

Doctor_Whiteface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 08:50:37 am »

Wow.

Is this going to be the next Boatmurdered, I wonder? Just with giant skeletal eagles instead of elephants? I can't wait for my turn.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 09:49:22 am »

One of the best first updates I could have asked for, ever.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 11:26:51 am »

Skeletal. Giant. Eagles.

HELL YEAH!

Tendrake

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 10:59:00 pm »

On the 12th of Granite, the universe ended, frozen in a wave of pure blue.
"CURSES!", screeched Armok in a place outside of reality itself, "NOTHING CAN STOP ME! NOTHING!" In his blind fury, he reactivated his Universe-Simulator 31.25 with only one goal in mind: WIN.

So yeah, my computer got the bluescreen of death while playing, and I had no save. I'll re-embark and try to recreate up to where we left off. If there's no giant eagle attack I'll kill the woodcutter, the cat, and his little dog too.

Doctor_Whiteface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 11:20:31 pm »

Don't go for deliberate death if there's no replication of the attack. Think of the bluescreen as Armok Almighty's way of making sure you get it right this time 'round.

Policy that's always stood me firm: The God of Blood enjoys narrow channels through which blood may flow, without diversions to either side. In other words, one-wide hallway into the outpost proper is a *very* good idea, both because it's more defensible and because it will reduce pathfinding algorithms when the fort population grows. Three-wide allows too much room for attackers to sneak by guards, two-wide less so but still problematic. The only real problem with one-wide halls is if you need a whole mess of hauling done at once, in which case all the dorfs moving back and forth will be slow. Double-wide within the fort might be a good idea, with a one-wide defensible entrance.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 11:27:06 pm »

Always wondered how those thieves sneak past my dwarves indoors with no place to hide.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 12:15:18 am »

I'll take a turn! Sign me up.  8)
Pages: 1 [2]