Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is this thread dying? THE CORRECT ANSWER: No.

Yes.
No.
Maybe, but I hope not.
Maybe, and I hope it dies.
IT'S ALIVE! HORRAY!
It's dead, but I wish it had continued to thrive.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 78

Author Topic: A "You son of an elf!" production: Ashes to Ashes (Succession fortress)  (Read 93536 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

Hugo, your the best(and the only other person who is even active on this thread) overseer The Outrageous Boat has ever had! Oh, here's a bit of a history lesson: The founders of Portalpriests were known as "The Outrageous Boat". I just think that "The Outrageous Boat" is a WAY better name than Portalpriests! History lesson over, now skat ya crazy ankle-biters! :P

EDIT: feel free to name some of the dwarves like you did last time, and keep up the good work, or I'll burn your house down with combustible lemons! AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA!!!!
I will try har HAR! And thank you, you don't know how hard it is to write something without anyone egging you on. Here are a few more updates, Autumn is almost over. Also Since I'm pretty much the only overseer active... I might as well take two game years? I'll copy the save once I hit spring so that once someone comes and wishes for a round they can right away.

UPDATE!!!! MUHAHAHAHA
------------------------------------

5th Sandstone
   A planter went fey and make a sammule bone left spiked gauntlet, not too impressive, not much I can say other then hooking all the water gates to the levers are taking its time.

26th Sandstone
   Migrants... Again this is getting outrageous... Heh, did I just make a pun. Ok here’s the list of fuckers new people:
A cheese maker that is drafted to military as a speardwarf.
A gem cutter that is now also doing cloth and furnace operating.
A trapper that is now in the military.
A lye maker which I gave wood burning and soap making to.
A herbalist that was a hammerdwarf, drafted
A glassmaker, drafted
And a cook, drafted
It’s almost late autumn I don’t have much time to get the WRF up and running, so that maybe another overseer may take over my project: “MAGMA to LAVA” aka bring the magma sea to the surface.

pretty small update eh? I'm acually trying to intergrate a First Person/ Novel like writing style, just haven't figured it out yet. Also I'm trying to fit the poem in as well :)

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

we interrupt your regularly scheduled beating-the-shit-out-of-a-cook-that-made-beer-cookies programming to bring you this utterly pointless message.

THE CARP MEN WILL RISE, WE WILL NOT COMPROMISE, FOR WE KNOW THAT THE OLD REGIME MUST DIE! LOOOOOONG LIVE RAAA-AAHN, HE LOVES YOU, SING THESE WORDS, OR YOU KNOW WHAT HEEEEE'L DOOOO!

We now return to beating-the-shit-out-of-a-cook-that-made-beer-cookies.

EDIT: yes, until we get more overseers, PLEASE take as many years as you like!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 09:27:00 pm by The Master »
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile

EDIT: yes, until we get more overseers, PLEASE take as many years as you like!
Right on, I won't have any problems soon, either 2morrow or satuerday im upgrading my internet. I've suffered from Dial-Ups icy claws for far too long. Also I urge any reader that is following or just started reading to join this epic endevour

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile

Here is a rather big update, just a indepth story about things with some activity not much
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

26th Sandstone
   Migrants... Again this is getting outrageous... Heh, did I just make a pun. Ok here’s the list of fuckers new people:
A cheese maker that is drafted to military as a speardwarf.
A gem cutter that is now also doing cloth and furnace operating.
A trapper that is now in the military.
A lye maker which I gave wood burning and soap making to.
A herbalist that was a hammerdwarf, drafted
A glassmaker, drafted
And a cook, drafted
It’s almost late autumn I don’t have much time to get the WRF up and running, so that maybe another overseer may take over my project: “MAGMA to LAVA” aka bring the magma sea to the surface.

15th Timber
   Some meowkin have some whatever the hell they are, I swear Astis must have been smoking too much prescribed ratweed. We also had a birth, some engraver not important. But I have managed to get some of the words that are scribbled at the back of Hugo’s journal, and this is what it reads:

“I never once had faith in Astis, no faith at all with him only in myself and my sword and axe. Some dwarves pray to Astis while others worship their goods, we all are in the same Outrageous Boat doesn’t matter, those who pray die like us who don’t. Astis doesn’t make a bog troll have mercy, doesn’t make your enemy stumble during combat giving you a opening. No Astis never did that, I remember back in the mountain homes when my title was captain of the guard. The days of sparring with the recruits were good, I still remember one lad, Zan we called him. Every time he went to spar or go into battle, he would pull out a small carving of Astis around his neck, and pray for strength. I thought it was non-sense but kept my mouth closed, whatever gives someone courage to fight and go on is good enough for me. But life is cruel as it seems, Lizardmen had sieged us and managed to get to the barracks, and the barracks were the only thing between the enemy and civilians.

The main army was out fighting bog trolls and void walkers, the recruits weren’t ready. But the general thought they were, he also had told me ‘You and your squad is good enough to defend any choke-point, and this whole fortress is a bloody choke-point.’ he laughed and clapped me on the shoulder making my armor rattle before he departed on the campaign, smiling weakly at his joke, later I regretted it.

Rushing to help the recruits, they had been pushed back from the main gate and the lizardmen had sabotaged the bridge mechanisms so we couldn’t raise it. The final stand was the barracks, and my squad was too late. Only two recruits were left against over forty lizards, I could see from the distance that I was ‘Sodel, Kib, Get your crossbows up into the towers. Rest of you with me!’ everything slowed down, just like it always did before a fight. Zan was one of the remaining recruits, he always sparred with me. He held his own against the lizardmen, keeping his head and shield up, block stab, parry kick slash, dodge charge neck stab. Then a lizard got lucky and snuck his axe past Zan’s defences, it was swung with such savagery that it bit through the chainmail, I could see blood but Zan fought on, he severed the arm of the offending lizard and continued to fight, this time he started screaming ‘FOR ASTIS!’ every time he swung his sword. I was almost there just a few more steps, but Zan was getting slow from blood loss and shock and the lizards took advantage of that, they hacked off his shield arm and left leg at the knee.

One was getting ready for the finishing blow before getting tackled my me, must have felt like a steel cannon ball hit him. Before it could get up I rammed my dagger up through its chin into its filthy brain, I went into a trance, it felt like being underwater and my instincts from years of war took over. My shield arm went up to block a axe I didn’t even see, spinning with my shield up and axe out, the manoeuver won me blocked attacks and severed legs, roaring and jumping into the next group of lizards leaving the crippled ones for my squad to finish, I hacked one in the neck right were the shoulder connects, and bashed another in the face with my shield before decapitating it. I swung wide to scare a group back, but got my axe embedded in the chest of one sneaking up, kicking the dying lizard back and pulling my sword from its sheath, to a human it’s a longsword, to us dwarves it’s a zwei-hander.

A lizard began to charge, tossing my shield at it, hitting the windpipe with a satisfying crunch it fell. Just me, my armor, and zwei-hander and all my years of killing. Easy. With a hop skip spin and swinging the sword high to low, freeing arms and legs from their owners and biting deep into another lizard killing it instantly, four down, turning quickly to parry a axe just stopping it a inch from my head, with one hand on the handle and the other holding the blade near the top, and on one knee there wasn’t much I could do. Casually the lizard kicked me in the chest knocking me down, others were gathering around. This new lizard was bigger and more muscular, was this the end? That thought was banished as a rain of bolts hit the lizards like rain on a pond, the big lizard was hit in the leg bringing it to a knee and stopping its finisher but over ten were killed or mortally wounded. Jumping up and swinging with all my strength at the big lizard’s head only to meet its axe, it severed the axe head off but it as enough to buy the lizard time to grab my wrist. So I punched it in the face hearing a crunch as the socket was fractured and bit the offending hand, it jerked my hand to the side making me drop my sword, ripping my dagger free and stabbing for its face only to have that wrist grabbed, It pulled out the bolt in its leg and tried to stab me, I grabbed its wrist. So there we were staring into each others eyes trying to stab and not be stabbed. Both tired, its injury made it even ground with my size, two battle hardened warriors. It must have saw it too in my eyes as I did in its, and it bared its teeth in a attempt to grin. And all of a sudden its tongue came out of its mouth dripping with blood, no a spear head, tossing the body aside a grinning Shorast took its place.

The surviving lizards turned tail and ran, while my squad killed those crippled or wounded. Stumbling over to Zan I knelt and cradled his head ‘Hugo...’ coughing up some blood, ‘I tried Hugo, there was just so many. But I put all our sparring experience in, it just wasn’t enough I guess.’ he reached up with his only arm, and pulled out the small carving ‘Astis has watched and protected me well, I want you to have this to protect you.’ he died in my arms with a smile on his face, somehow that cut into my heart. I lost friends and family and didn’t care about anything anymore, but this young soul didn’t deserve this. So taking the small carving I went into the fortress, a few weeks after I was sent to Portalpriests. Were I lay dying now from some ‘Mysterious Substance’ as the doc says. Like I said before I never had faith in Astis, but know I’m holding this carving of him and praying for salvation, maybe I’m too late to pray? Maybe Astis was never real... Wait the whole room just filled with white light, I’m not in pain anymore, I feel at peace.”

Scribbled on the back cover is this:

Through the fires and the blaze...
Through the hills of evil...
Past the smoking goblins...
There she lies.

Enter the halls...
Open the doors...
Close the vents...
I SEE YOU.

THROUGH THE NIGHT AND THE DAY,
PAST THE BLAZE AND THE HAZE,
BEYOND THE SHADOWS OF THE VOID,

WE!
WILL!
RISE!

In the halls and each room,
Past the gloomy dark goons,
That evil par-a-site!

Rise today,
Fall tonight!

Wake up.
Copyright © by "The Master" on 28th of july 2011

1st Moonstone
   The WRF is almost ready the turbines are built and pumps in place all we need is too hook up the levers and watergates, I’ve ordered probably around 200 gears built. I am giddy with excitement, but a little worried as on Hugo’s journal there was this as well:
Ostar is *can’t decipher the text* brought Ulric *the rest is unreadable*.

Ulric... Ostar the forgotten beast and our Ulric...

OOC:
I couldn't resist the copyright :)

EDIT: Trying to fix the 'MASSIVE WALL OF TEXT' just cause I'm used to reading novels with walls of text doen't mean everyone else is
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 12:06:03 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That brought a tear to my eye, THAT was book-worthy! You should really think about writing your own books! It felt like there should be some music playing at the part where that poor boy was dying. Very dramatic, very good quality...it's beyond quality! :D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 07:11:29 pm by The Master »
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile

That brought a tear to my eye, THAT was book-worthy! You should really think about writing your own books! It felt like there should be some music playing at the part where that poor boy was dying. Very dramatic, very good quality...it's beyond quality! :D
That legit brought a smile to my face, and I'm going to upload the save. And work on my Mod, and my acual story ;) its 4: chapters long now, it has 44936 characters, 10403 words, 482 sentances, and 46 paragraphs. But even when I upload the save, and no other takers come along I'll contuine the second year, slowly but surely. Probally between genning test worlds for my mod.

UPDATE!!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
20th Moonstone
   Everything has been hooked up and the water gates have been opened, now we wait. Some people haven been complaining about buzzards, so the military have been dispatched. I have also set a watch on Ulric, with her being super-dwarvenly is very concerning.

28th Moonstone
   No odd reports about Ulric other then she walks funny, and the soldiers.....

“Professor Lloyd, It’s Working.”
“The Water Reactor Facility is running?”
“Yes sir, not all of the reactors are running. But they will as soon as they finish filling with water.”
“Excellent Scrubs, I want to take a look with my own eyes.”
“Yes sir, follow me sir.”

Rushing down the halls of the hospital and out the doors, passing the mass storage, and down the extra long path to the WRF we finally reached the double doors. If we take a left (east) we will head to the barracks and armory, but we took the right (west) path to the WRF. And it took all my reserve and professionalism to keep calm, but I was as excited as a child getting a piece of candy. There was even a little dwarf inside me doing a jig, this may have been Hugo’s idea. But I made it real. The two in the right corner (south-west) turned and groaned, Scrubs beside me was grinning. She loved this stuff as much as I do, she’s even legendary at it better yet her last name is Gearclean.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The way to the WRF
WRF upper level
WRF lower level

“What is the output of each reactor?”
Scrubs looked up and silently counted as she did calculations in her head,
“Well sir, each wheel makes 100 Urists and there are two, that’s 200 Urists, the gear assembly and pump take 35 Urists to run, making a total of 165 Urists of power from each reactor.”
“And how many Urists when we get all thirty reactors running?”
More silent counting.
“165 Urists time 30 would be 4950 Urists of power sir.”
“Now the magma sea is 140 levels below the designated forges.”
“That would be... 2100 Urists to power sir.”
“Good then we shou...”
“But sir that’s just a ball park figure, we haven’t taken account of all the axles and other parts that require power...”
“Then make it happen Scrubs.”

I was happy now I’m just angry, why did the magma have to be so deep. Better get the parts ordered for all the pumps.

16th Opal
   Everything went to a crawl, I mean really time slowed down to a limbo. At least movements we could talk and think like normal, but moving was just agonizing slow. I have ordered that the emergency drain on the WRF be pulled and time can resume its natural rate. A wise man that sat outside all day to determine how fast the world moves, he watched the birds. On a good day a bird can get 100 flaps per second (FPS) but at a busy fortress time slows down like now. I went outside which felt like and eternity and saw a bird, it had 9 FPS that means the world is 91% slower then normal. Soon I’ll call the WRF the DOFPS (Destroyer of Flaps Per Second), but I still need it to draw magma. It’s mid-winter, I don’t have long.

22nd Opal
   The WRF has been stopped, have issued a switch to be hooked up to the pumps so we can turn it off and on. So when we need magma, we can then turn it off once we are done. And im ordering places for the magma pumps to be cut.

OOC: holy crap I’ve been in pause mode for the longest time and im not even halfway done :(

25th Obsidian
   Some of angel-like people came, they brought stuff but they wouldn’t trade, so I ordered them dead, a lot of blood and gore followed and we lost two soldiers. The magma pump stack slots have been dug. And my year is almost up.

8th Granite
I have overstayed my overseer duties by a week, may the next be able to finish what I started.

NOTE: All levers in the WRF control room have notes explaining their use, as well I will be selecting another dwarf for my story telling perspective. As it seems I've accidently gave this fortress a plot :P

EDIT: fixed a gender issue in my wiriting :P

EDIT2: Save currently cannot be uploaded until a more reliable internet can be established in my household thank you for your time.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:46:47 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

in the words of StarkRavingMadMaster
"WELCOME TO FUCKING BOATMURDEREDPORTALPRIESTS!"
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I`ll have my first update soon. I can`t edit anything right now because I`m using my cell, so the turn list still says that it`s hugo`s turn.
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Rahn

• Bay Watcher
  • Plumbers of the world, unite!
    • View Profile

This is glorious.  :D

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Until Hugo can upload his save, I'll have to settle for playing some of my other fortresses.  :(
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here a random engraving that may or may not exist :P :

Engraved on the wall is an image of "The Master". "The Master" is flying. This image relates to the Master eating a kitten in Portalpriests, in the year him-nim-shim-nim.
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile

Here is a engraving

Engraved on the wall is a image of "The Master" and "Hugo_the_Dwarf". "The Master" is striking a menacing pose, "Hugo_the_Dwarf" is in the fetal position. This image relates to the hold-up due to "Hugo_the_Dwarf's" dial-up connection rejecting uploading the save.

on a serious note I should have my high-speed set up 2morrow if not I've making some phone calls and I'm making a scene. I do not like holding anyone or anything up, I'm very punctual and like things done right. I am so very sorry on the hold-up

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's fine! Relax! :D As long as it doesn't take a whole month to upload, It'll be fine! IF IT DOES, CATSPLOSIONS FOR EVERYONE! YAY!!!!!!!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

you can start making a scene now.  :(
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*exhales sharply* I know I SAID you could take a whole month to get it uploaded, but I hope you didn't take me too seriously...
You. Made. Asea. CRY.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 78