Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is this thread dying? THE CORRECT ANSWER: No.

Yes.
No.
Maybe, but I hope not.
Maybe, and I hope it dies.
IT'S ALIVE! HORRAY!
It's dead, but I wish it had continued to thrive.

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 78

Author Topic: A "You son of an elf!" production: Ashes to Ashes (Succession fortress)  (Read 93469 times)

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A "You son of an elf!" production: Lockdown (Succession fortress)
« Reply #795 on: October 26, 2011, 04:23:56 pm »

Also, also, what do you think of relaxing the turn limit a bit. Not the real time length, but the in game length.

Maybe allow for between 4 to 6 months for particularly ambitious goals?
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 26, 2011, 04:41:56 pm »

oh, sure! That'd be fine!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #797 on: October 26, 2011, 04:43:24 pm »

Got the save. But so far only two real named dwarves live. Dr. Pots and David from portalpriests. so Everyone when I post the 13.. ahem 11 unnamed dwarves that start off Deadiron you will have to claim new dwarves (unless you want your dwarf's soul to be transfused into a livving body during the transportation (I will do this once I start writing the intro for deadiron)) and by astis this fort is a mess. SO MUCH CARNAGE. Now to craftly make the scene *Hugo has begun a mysterious contruction*

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 26, 2011, 05:10:10 pm »

Atis Ballstaves - Engraver
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: October 26, 2011, 05:11:25 pm »

Thor Blacksmith
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: October 26, 2011, 08:48:39 pm »

Here is a quick little update, my writing was interrupted by my new exersise do hicky, but this will be something to keep you entertained. A letter left by David, now I'm just working on the events that will take part in our great exodus.

The Writings of David, 24th of Opal, Deepest Freeze of this forsaken place.

The carnage is too much, only 13 of us is alive everyone is either dead or missing somewhere. Dr. Pots got a hold of that book Professor Lloyd carried with him like a bible, and from the notes within it Dr. Pots has had a crude archway built calling it a “Portal”. However the Professor got us here it sure wasn’t through a “Portal” it was through Lustrum and Hugo’s Water Reactor Facility, which I doubt it was even Hugo’s idea because he was only a captain of the guard for the longest time until the Oozing Death took him and so many others.

Dr. Pots was trying all sorts of things to get the portal to work, but he has no idea about Lustrum. If only Professor Lloyd was still here, then he could get us out. But last I saw was Lloyd trying to save a injured dwarf out on the ice, before the swarm of undead washed over them. After that everything went to hell, undead got inside and went to town on their nearest tasty morsel... I hate to refer to my brethren as morsels but that’s how it turned out.

This will be the last I write, as this “Portal” will never work. And the undead will be here soon.

Sincerely
David

EDIT: I would write the rest tonight but I'm tired and I got Pshcology 2morrow, I get free marks just for showing up and raising my hand, using my extensive knowlegde in random facts to my advantage. Never fear, My mind has the whole play swirling around in the vast chasm that it is. I shall Finish it up 2morrow and get Deadiron up and running, Might take a small turn while im at it :P
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:54:40 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: October 26, 2011, 09:29:07 pm »

Here is a quick little update, my writing was interrupted by my new exersise do hicky, but this will be something to keep you entertained. A letter left by David, now I'm just working on the events that will take part in our great exodus.

The Writings of David, 24th of Opal, Deepest Freeze of this forsaken place.

The carnage is too much, only 13 of us is alive everyone is either dead or missing somewhere. Dr. Pots got a hold of that book Professor Lloyd carried with him like a bible, and from the notes within it Dr. Pots has had a crude archway built calling it a “Portal”. However the Professor got us here it sure wasn’t through a “Portal” it was through Lustrum and Hugo’s Water Reactor Facility, which I doubt it was even Hugo’s idea because he was only a captain of the guard for the longest time until the Oozing Death took him and so many others.

Dr. Pots was trying all sorts of things to get the portal to work, but he has no idea about Lustrum. If only Professor Lloyd was still here, then he could get us out. But last I saw was Lloyd trying to save a injured dwarf out on the ice, before the swarm of undead washed over them. After that everything went to hell, undead got inside and went to town on their nearest tasty morsel... I hate to refer to my brethren as morsels but that’s how it turned out.

This will be the last I write, as this “Portal” will never work. And the undead will be here soon.

Sincerely
David

EDIT: I would write the rest tonight but I'm tired and I got Pshcology 2morrow, I get free marks just for showing up and raising my hand, using my extensive knowlegde in random facts to my advantage. Never fear, My mind has the whole play swirling around in the vast chasm that it is. I shall Finish it up 2morrow and get Deadiron up and running, Might take a small turn while im at it :P
What would I do without you, hugo?
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: October 27, 2011, 12:39:26 am »

What would I do without you, hugo?

Hopefully there are lots of things you do without Hugo...

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: October 27, 2011, 04:56:55 am »

I could go for a dorfing next time around. Korronus Tycan, mechanic.
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: October 27, 2011, 03:04:41 pm »

Ok here is the final chapter of Flash Freeze, with the introduction of a new antongonist I also got all the new dwarves into the stroy so far. Enjoy while you wait for me to get deadiron going.

Events of Opal 25th...

Everyone was scambling about, looking for food or drink to soothe the horrible mess that befell the fort. I went to see the crude portal that Dr. Pots had ordered erected, standing in a semi-circle within it’s arch was Dr. Pots, Thor the last blacksmith, Atis Ballstaves a fellow engraver, and Korronus Tycan mechanic. They were arguing about the portal and the Professor’s book, I walked over “Why bother with this thing? Why bother with arguing, you four are only wasting our precious energy that we could be used to reinforce our position and keep ourselves alive.” I said before coming to a stop at the group. “Why David, our only hope is to get it to work. There is no way we can survive, the undead never tire. By the time we set up one wall, they will have tore down three.” Dr. Pots retorted and then they all started squabbling again. Filling with rage I slammed my fist into the portal frame “ENOUGH!” everyone stopped and stared, first I thought it was my outburst of anger. But then I felt, saw what they did. The Lustrum must still be on me, in me. As green electricity arched from my hand up the frame, forcing all of us to jump away from the portal as now the sparks now turned into green lighting that ricocheted around the frame until a hole opened to a bright wasteland. “By Astis David you did it! YOU DID IT!” everyone hugged and danced at this show of salvation, even with the land so barren and uninviting it was still better then being zombie food.
“READY THE WAGON!”
“Dr. Pots we don’t have a wagon...”
“Nonsense I had built one in me bedroom a year ago.”
“Why did you build a.... Never mind.”

The wagon was drawn to the portal and loaded with everything we needed, and Korronus Tycan had hooked up every donkey and reindeer even a few bears to pull the wagon “Korronus why do we need no many animals to pull the wagon?” “Why me boy David asks. Well the more horse pow’r the bett’r.” Korronus replied with a toothy grin. Just as the packing was halfway done the makeshift barricade at the door exploded, and walked in a dwarf in a strange metal suit holding... By Astis the Professor’s head. The metal dwarf raised its free right hand and pointed at the wagon, a hoard of undead poured from the settling dust towards the wagon. “YAH! DAMN YOU!” Korronus cracked the reins and the wagon shot forth towards the portal, Thor was cursing as he got caught in a strap and dragged behind the wagon. Then from darkness to light we were in the wastelands, looking back the portal closed leaving that frozen hell behind. But what hell are we in now? Doesn’t matter at least it’s warm here.

Back in the frozen cavern fortress

The metal clad dwarf stood in the ruined barricade as the undead feasted on whatever flesh they could find, reaching up to stroke its braided moustache and beard making the iron rings in them click together. What flashed through its mind was a gentle summers breeze brush its face and russling its hair, the iron rings holding its braids together clinking softly, and the sound of grass blowing in the wind. Then it was screams of the dying and its own death, and rebirth, and second death by the hands of a dwarf possessed by a human through a demons will. Now it followed no god, not even knowing it’s name or what it was before only that it now lives in a wasted dwarven body. And now its powers of life and death have been increased after absorbing the soul of this talented dwarf. Oddly enough it had carried something of its, it could sense the bond it shares with the object in the dwarf’s soul. But the fight with the dwarf was interesting...

On the frozen surface earlier

“Hold on zer, I’m coming for you. Ze Professor vill save you.” reaching the injured dwarf only to find she was already dead “Damn not another von.” looking up to see a swarm of undead flock to me like flies to a bloated corpse, and the fortress doors closing. I saw David before the doors fully shut. The first zombie to reach me might have showed surprise if they had enough brains to think as my palm blasted a burst of blue and green energy taking it’s head off, leaving only a smoldering stub as it slumped to the ground. I fired these energy bursts at the closest zombies creating a dance of blue and green, making the air look like it was full of green and blue fireflies as the energy dissolved like salt in water. The undead seemed endless, but so was the energy of the Lustrum. After awhile the hoard stopped and stood around me out of shooting distance, why would they do this? They are mindless. Then they parted to allow a dwarf clad in black metal, holding a black short sword in its right hand and a black axe in its left. It didn’t walk like a zombie, but it still walked oddly. As it got closer I was tempted to blast it right there, but then I saw its face. A black half-mask that was completely plain and eyeless, and mechanical objects in place of neck muscles before the rest was covered by its black plate armor. I let a blast of energy in its direction and it casually batted it with its sword unfazed as it continued my way, I shot off some more and it batted those away effortlessly as well. “Vhat the hell are you?” wordlessly it walked, its braided facial hair blowing in the arctic wind. It looked dead, but not undead. “Die you swinehund!” this time I went all out letting loose a whole array of blasts, casing it to break its casual pace to begin dancing and blocking each blast. Despite the cold I started to sweat, it was too close, it leapt through the air towards me arms across its chest for a killing blow. “You die now Abomination!” putting my hands together and channelling all that I could I could feel the air become charged and small ice chunks began to rise as a blinding pillar of energy engulfed the dwarf. When all the energy dissipated the dwarf was laying a short distance away steaming in the snow, “Ha zat vill teach you not to mess vith ze Professor.”. Then my blood turned to ice as it started getting up. “Vhy vont you die!” I tried to blast it again but it seems I’ve exhausted the Lustrum’s power, but I could feel it recharging. But the dwarf wasted no time and before I knew it I was face to face with it, and everything was numb. Looking down I could see the cruel black blade sticking through my chest, without actually seeing it I knew my lungs, upper spine, liver, stomach, and several of my ribs were mangled. Looking back at the dwarf’s face I saw it wasn’t skin that made up it’s mouth, it was polished marble. And its mouth was carved in a sinister grin of amusement and pleasure, combined with the eyeless black mask it was surreal. Its facial hair was made from copper strands, then blackness took me. And the world existed no more...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 10:53:37 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: October 27, 2011, 10:12:09 pm »

Very nice!
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: October 28, 2011, 02:02:08 pm »

I tried to play the save but noone does anything. I guess thats what happens when dwarves are put in human bodies, If anyone can get into the vault then exellent here is the save Deadiron

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: October 28, 2011, 03:11:00 pm »

I know how. All you have to do is dig into the farms exposed to the surface!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: October 28, 2011, 03:19:11 pm »

I ran out of time for Dwarf fortress, I can try and write up a intro into the wasteland if you like. But I can't do any playing

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: October 28, 2011, 05:38:44 pm »

I can try and write up a intro into the wasteland if you like.
that'd be great! thanks!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 78