Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first taste(s) of !!SCIENCE!!  (Read 2584 times)

Jalapeño Cheesepuffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My first taste(s) of !!SCIENCE!!
« on: July 05, 2011, 12:38:27 pm »

I was attempting to build a magma industry over a 15-something-z deep magma pool via Walls and Floors. I managed to get the smelter and forge placed, but had not full constructed the walls around them. Being a noob, I had not mastered the technique of building walls (corners were left incomplete), so I had to deconstruct many walls, build floors, build the walls next to them, deconstruct the floors, and finally complete the wall.  Somewhere in this process I had forgot that "walls don't have wings" and that unsupported they will adhere to gravity's demands. Suddenly I get the warning, "A section of the cavern has collapsed".

I looked around while paused and didn't notice anything amiss; however, when I unpaused it, a HUGE explosion of magma steam and molten sand/silt rocked my magma building. I pressed z to see if I had lost anyone, and sure enough, I was down two dorfs (13 out of 15). I checked the reports:

Plight of the Herbalist:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Plight of the Fish Cleaner:

Rith the Fish Cleaner's body remained there, as I had not dealt with death before, and promptly rotted and suffocated another dwarf. Before any more carnage could ensue, I relinquished my fort to my first Fun.

For my next fort I embarked in the same 2 biomes. I was building my fort, tunneling deep, when I come across another magma pool. I was going to repeat my attempt to build a magma industry in a safer setting, but then noticed a enormous water-filled cavern directly above the pool. !!SCIENCE!! could not be resisted, so I drained the water into the magma pool, resulting in the creation of a:

Somewhat ironic that my first Fun should be the caused by an explosion on the 4th of July...

How is it that the Fish Cleaner's toe took the full force of the impact at the same time has his head, arm, lower body and variety of other appendages?

Anyways, yesterday I learned that !!SCIENCE!! can lead to both [epic] destruction/Fun and [epic] rewards.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 12:43:10 pm by Jalapeño Cheesepuffs »
"The eyes are open, the mouth moves, but Mr. Brain has long since departed"

-Edmund Blackadder

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first taste(s) of !!SCIENCE!!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 01:43:05 pm »

Sounds like you're doing alright for yourself.

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 03:07:31 pm »

Thank you. This story made me smile :D
Also, the huge explosion of magma steam is normal for any cave-in, even ones that don't include magma. It's just falling stuff is very-very dusty....

aragaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 03:29:00 pm »

Building wall corners tip - use grates. When you deconstruct them you get them back.

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 03:38:55 pm »

Aaaannnnnd now my mind is full of potential designs for magma mist traps.
Preliminary tests are showing that the dwarves are more being blown off the floor into the volcano that being melted by magma mist. 
Useful but not the flesh dissolving fog I was hoping for...
Further tests, and dwarves, are required.
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

Jalapeño Cheesepuffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 04:14:57 pm »

Thanks for the replies.  :)

This experience inspired me as well to experiment more with magma mist and its deadly capabilities (potential dwarf/goblin cannon?). However, I just lost another fortress (the second one) to disregard for magma, so I will give magma a break for now.
"The eyes are open, the mouth moves, but Mr. Brain has long since departed"

-Edmund Blackadder

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 04:50:05 pm »

Here magma never gets a break  ;)

I think it would be better to launch a forgotten beast with syndrome blood at any sieging force than a dwarf or goblin.

You may want to excecute goblins or nobles with the unit cannon though  :)

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 06:37:10 pm »

Syndromes are nice and all but they just don't have the stopping power of magma.  I usually reserve syndromes for messing with prisoners of war.
DF isn't subject to the Geneva Conventions right?
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 06:43:11 pm »

Syndromes are nice and all but they just don't have the stopping power of magma.  I usually reserve syndromes for messing with prisoners of war.
DF isn't subject to the Geneva Conventions right?

Urist McPhilosopher was the representative of the geneva convention, but he was dealt with long ago. Actually, we poured so much magma on him he's no longer in the game. So no, there's no geneva conventions in df.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 06:49:06 pm »

Hm. You lost a herbalist and a fish cleaner? I'd say good job!
And as far as I'm concerned, the geneva convention applies to my dwarves. And the dwarfy geneva convention mandates the execution of POWs with training weapons for maximal expierience.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?