Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is this still around?  (Read 1493 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Is this still around?
« on: July 05, 2011, 11:22:34 pm »

You know that thing where something that is supposed to take multiple bars of metal to take instead only takes 1 bar? Is it still like this?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is this still around?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 11:23:41 pm »

Yes; all items only take 1 bar to make, regardless of how large they are.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 11:39:48 pm »

Ty.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 08:10:17 am »

Actually, to be specific, everything takes a fraction of a bar and gets rounded up.  Like a chestplate has a material_size:5 (I don't recall the specific number) and a bar is size 150.  So it uses 5/150 and the other 149 gets rounded up.  You can make items require multiple bars by making the material_size multiplied by 150.  A size 750 breastplate would take 5 bars.  Barrels, statues, bins, and other hardcoded items cannot be changed, but armor and weapons can.

I'm not sure what this does when you're melting items...

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 11:43:00 am »

You only get a fraction of a bar back when you melt something. Thus, sometimes you'll get bars when you melt things, sometimes you won't. I'm not sure if the return is at all modified by the dwarf's skill level.

Shmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 01:30:16 am »

I recall reading on the wiki that melting actually saves up invisible fractions of bars at the furnace used to smelt objects, and when there are enough such bits to make a whole bar one is produced.

I haven't verified this, though.
S = k*log x(rope reed fiber socks)x

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 01:33:38 am »

Yeah melting does work like that. You should make sure to either do all your melting at the same smelter or use different ones for each different metal (if you really need more than 1) so you don't end up with fractions of bars everywhere.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 01:37:07 am »

This is rather verified.  Every item has a certain melting value, which is probably based on the material_size token, but I haven't compared data points.  Most non-furniture items accrue floating bits of melted metal, which are stored in the forge.  You melt something for .5 bars, and then you melt another for .5+.5=you get a bar.  If it's .75, then another is 1.5, and then 2.25, then 3.  It gathers in percentages and is forge-specific.

This information is on the wiki, btw.