Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #15 Mini: Feedback  (Read 24341 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress Talk #15 Mini: Feedback
« on: July 06, 2011, 06:13:56 am »

The fifteenth one has been posted.

Please note that this is a more low-key meetup reminder type of podcast.  I'm going to be informing mallocks of its existence presently, so again, he hasn't been forewarned or given any time to prepare, and I'm not going to ask him to do a transcript if he's busy at all.  We just decided to put something up as a meetup reminder, and recorded a bit more of the call for fun.

The meetup thread is herePlease vote in the poll if you are coming so we can provide an approximate headcount.

Any comments about the format, content, quality, etc. of the call are welcome.

We didn't answer questions this time, but ask questions via email (see this thread) and we will answer some of them next time!

edit:

The transcripts by mallocks have been posted, available at the DF Talk page or here: Transcript
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 06:30:47 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #15 Mini: Feedback
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 11:33:24 am »

Hm, a pocket world with a number of options cranked way up could end up having those rare weremancers or trollmancers most easily, I think. Similar to how rocs most easily find together to breeding pairs in pocket worlds, if the megabeast number is increased appropriately.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 05:00:20 pm »

I'm glad to hear the kobolds are going down there. They're something we've not had a good opportunity to interact with and the sewers are a perfect place for it.

I think that there should be some manner of people in town telling you about tombs - either they're like "yo there's this awesome tomb full of treasure" or, better, they could be like "hey, I'll sell you this map to a tomb full of treasure!" and then you buy it and go there and there's a mummy.

Glad to hear that the rugs and tapestries are on the timeline now.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 08:49:28 pm »

they could be like "hey, I'll sell you this map to a tomb full of treasure!" and then you buy it and go there and there's a mummy.

This sounds like a perfect fit for the mood of DF adventure mode.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 10:13:22 pm »

HIPPIE THIEVES!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 07:04:09 am »

I think that there should be some manner of people in town telling you about tombs - either they're like "yo there's this awesome tomb full of treasure" or, better, they could be like "hey, I'll sell you this map to a tomb full of treasure!" and then you buy it and go there and there's a mummy.
I would imagine that tombs are a viable topic for when you ask about Surroundings.

Glad to hear that the rugs and tapestries are on the timeline now.
Quite. Though I did expect that the manor rewrite would introduce some stuff like that anyway - would be lousy manors if they were as barren as the commoners' hovels.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 12:39:59 pm »

I think this is the release that finally makes adventure mode into a game again.  Up until now, there have always been large broken chunks.  Cities with an underground will, I think, make those tentative first steps as an adventurer substantially less likely to result in instantaneous death, since presumably running away from something in the city underground leaves you with somewhere to run away to

where is up?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 03:35:09 pm »

I think this is the release that finally makes adventure mode into a game again.  Up until now, there have always been large broken chunks.  Cities with an underground will, I think, make those tentative first steps as an adventurer substantially less likely to result in instantaneous death, since presumably running away from something in the city underground leaves you with somewhere to run away to.
Adventure Mode has been a game again for ages. It's just been nowhere near as good as other games with a premise of "you are an adventurer going on adventures".

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 04:24:00 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:29:54 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 06:31:06 pm »

The transcripts by mallocks have been posted, available at the DF Talk page or here: Transcript
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 06:48:51 pm »

You can go in and because you're not in this position where you have to go down to the fortieth level and get an artifact or whatever, and you can leave, you can stay down there as long as you can survive and then you can try and leave,

And then umpteen versions after this one, somebody mods in Scroll of Town Portal's and suddenly adventure mode is Diablo.

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 07:17:43 pm »

You can go in and because you're not in this position where you have to go down to the fortieth level and get an artifact or whatever, and you can leave, you can stay down there as long as you can survive and then you can try and leave,

And then umpteen versions after this one, somebody mods in Scroll of Town Portal's and suddenly adventure mode is Diablo.

Dwarf Fortress: An all around more engaging version of everything.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 11:57:15 pm »

For those of you who don't usually listen to these things I'd encourage you to listen to the end, I made it especially "fun" this time.  ;)
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 11:58:10 pm »

For those of you who don't usually listen to these things I'd encourage you to listen to the end, I made it especially "fun" this time.  ;)

What but Toady said it is about the get together... what could it possibly be? ohh my... not... Toady's... Dear goodness no! you can't say something like that publically... Why would you do it?