Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ultimate Segregation Fort  (Read 9442 times)

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
Ultimate Segregation Fort
« on: July 06, 2011, 12:21:19 pm »

I remember reading ages ago about a fort where an all-encompassing, rigid caste structure had been created with dwarves confined to burrows related to their caste.

I want to do this myself, but I need to brainstorm a couple ideas.

1 - What criteria should I discriminate on? Skin colour? Religion? Immigration?

2 - I was thinking of just doing a fairly basic Elite -> Makers -> Farmers -> Haulers with healthcare and military as separate entities. Should I start with fewer?

3 - As far as physically starting the fort, would it be more or less of a headache to plan the thing from the start (I want to do the whole "haulers have their own crappy access hallways" thing), or to start with a rabbit hole way off to the side then build the main fort separate from that after the second migrant wave?

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Segregation Fort
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 01:08:21 pm »

1-Religion and skin/hair/eye color. Choose the Gods most popular among the higher caste, all who don't follow them will be knocked down a class or two. If a heathen is already of the lowest caste, they will be denied entry into the fort and left outside to starve.

2-Nobility->Craftsmen->Peasants->Slaves. Soldiers will be drafted from the peasant caste, and only Nobility may pursue careers as doctors.

3-Shouldn't be too much trouble.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 01:12:07 pm »

you could do it on physical characteristics, strength agility toughness resistance to disease etc....see if the over-dwarfs breed better offspring.....or if lame dwarfs who have been trained up have better offspring than those who have had no training.
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 01:27:57 pm »

1-Religion and skin/hair/eye color. Choose the Gods most popular among the higher caste, all who don't follow them will be knocked down a class or two. If a heathen is already of the lowest caste, they will be denied entry into the fort and left outside to starve.

2-Nobility->Craftsmen->Peasants->Slaves. Soldiers will be drafted from the peasant caste, and only Nobility may pursue careers as doctors.

3-Shouldn't be too much trouble.
Alright, Doren and Kerlig are the acceptable religions. I was going to go with eye colour, but everyone seems to have silver eyes, so for now I'll just do religion. I just wish that I could sort by religion in Dwarf Therapist. I suspect there's a way to scan for that info, but I'm not sure how.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 01:52:30 pm »

I'm thinking I'm going to do the same thing. But I'll plan the layout of the fortress first. Maybe I'll actually keep playing it than >.>
I'm thinking of modding in some more nobles positions for the elite dwarves. Any ideas for them? Besides the old ones that got removed.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 02:05:10 pm »

Oh the opportunities for nightmare fuel! And if you use something like runesmith/DF hack, there's even more opportunities! Just a few questions first.

1. Are you planning on enslaving the women and making a male dominated society?
2. Will your fort have two separate districts?
3. What's your plans for rights of the heretic dwarves?
Blargh.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 02:32:18 pm »

Oh the opportunities for nightmare fuel! And if you use something like runesmith/DF hack, there's even more opportunities! Just a few questions first.

1. Are you planning on enslaving the women and making a male dominated society?
2. Will your fort have two separate districts?
3. What's your plans for rights of the heretic dwarves?
The Nobility will be mixed gender.

There will be a mandatory draft of all males in the Hauler caste.

Status will be given based on the lowest Deity worshipped, thus to be a member of the ruling caste you must worship only Doren and or Gosmer (I changed my mind based on some stuff in the Legends). If you worship Doren and Datan then you will be in the Maker caste, because Datan is below Doren. Kerlig (Farmers) is below Datan, Reg (Haulers) is below Kerlig, and all others are apostates worshipping false gods. Heresy is unforgivable and pagan immigrants will not be admitted, but may congregate in the shanty-town outside the fortress gates. Because We are not monsters a dormitory and well will be provided.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 02:40:27 pm »

Because We are not monsters

..Riiiiight. ;D

If we're starting a segregation fort we need to cull effectively. Building a well is fine, a dormitory too. However we do need to force them into work. You should put food there, but not enough for all of them. Then have them do endless labour, those who do the most labour get the food, those who do the least starve. Also, train them with military skills, by unleashing the wildlife into the town. Those who go berserk will be allowed free reign through out the shanty town. Those who get strucken by melancholy will be left to starve. Those who go insane will be allowed to go anywhere.
Blargh.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 02:45:30 pm »

I say the draft should be in the peasant/farmer/whatever caste. Slaves/haulers/whatever are needed for labor.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 02:53:42 pm »

The outcasts can work farms. They're forced to work to feed themselves. Every season, all food is collected from their "town." If they get hungry after that, they'll just have to work harder.

And I mean a lot of farms. As many as they can keep at least half planted.

I say the draft should be in the peasant/farmer/whatever caste. Slaves/haulers/whatever are needed for labor.
If you aren't already doing this, you should. This is basically how it worked/works in real life places like this. You may want to draft the strongest, etc. slaves, though, or get them into a breeding program. Not with any upper castes, of course!

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 03:00:12 pm »

The Haulers are already the lowest Caste (aside from outcasts). In all honesty one of the basic problems is that I have no way to predict the distribution of dwarves by religion, aside from Outcast being the largest based on its "everything else" catch and the downward push from exclusive worship.

I do thin, yes, that I should have the outcasts doing nothing but farming, plant gathering, hunting, and other outdoor activities, and that all their food stockpiles should feed into the main fort's. If there's plenty then they get to eat. If not... oh well.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 03:02:23 pm »

All castes fight in the military, like in rome. The Nobles fight in masterwork steel, crafters get a bronze mailshirt, farmers leather armor and the slaves only old, dull swords and a wooden shield.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 03:17:16 pm »

All castes fight in the military, like in rome. The Nobles fight in masterwork steel, crafters get a bronze mailshirt, farmers leather armor and the slaves only old, dull swords and a wooden shield.
I would, but that's a level of military management that I just don't have interest in right now.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 04:23:20 pm »

Using a few sets of uniforms and making separate squads it's easy as cake (is a lie XD(Haha No.(Sorry))).
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 06:31:48 pm »

Also think it would be possible with different uniforms.

Further refinement: Add all the "foreign" weapons and let your nobles fight with longswords, normal dwarves with decent weapons like halberds, short swords, 2handed swords and warhammers and the rabble with spears, maces and axes.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?
Pages: [1] 2 3