Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ultimate Segregation Fort  (Read 9439 times)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Segregation Fort
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 06:37:01 pm »

It's actually very easy with uniform management and ensuring squads are always same-caste.

Just set "exact match" for all uniforms, and then go to.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 07:52:22 pm »

1. Kills. Once someone arrives in the fort, drop them in the arena. Surround them in harmless creatures and time hoe long it takes to kill them. Then, according to their time, put them in that caste. The shorter the caste, the better off they are.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 09:36:57 pm »

And casting by lowest God worshiped doesn't seem like a very good idea, either. Why not go through legends and rate the Gods by number? Add up the Worship ScoreTM, and caste each Dwarf by their score? Favored Gods would have negative numbers, while heathen Gods would have positive numbers (add or subtract a point if they are pious or casual worshipers (depending also on how favorable the God is)). The lower the score the better.

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 02:03:58 am »

Just trowing it out there the mod Genesis have castes.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=52988.0;topicseen
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...but you probably already know this.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 03:14:47 am »

He doesn't want really different dwarves, he just wants to differentiate between the already existing dwarves for some reason or another to make sure some are "nobles", some "commoners" and some "slaves". Think Indian castes, where your caste of birth stays with you for life, your children, their children and several generations downwards despite no significant difference. The DF term "castes" and the RL term "castes" are distinct things and he wants the RL one.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 06:12:34 am »

He doesn't want really different dwarves, he just wants to differentiate between the already existing dwarves for some reason or another to make sure some are "nobles", some "commoners" and some "slaves". Think Indian castes, where your caste of birth stays with you for life, your children, their children and several generations downwards despite no significant difference. The DF term "castes" and the RL term "castes" are distinct things and he wants the RL one.

"He doesn't want really different dwarves"... what? Do we really know that?
What if he didn't knew about the Genesis Mod?

And what says that you can't use the castes to segregate, nobles, commoners and slaves?
Like Stone Dwarfs could be all Haulers and/or Miners. Steel Dwarves are made for being the Military caste, they excel in it.
Etc.
I just threw it out there for use.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 07:09:39 am »

Yes! Yes! Discriminate on race!

Mod in cotton and make them all farmers only!

Make separate burrows down the centre of the corridors that the 'pure' dwarves don't walk on!

Get shouted at for depicting a real-life situation too closely!
[Signature]

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 07:46:49 am »

Burrows don't restrict movement, otherwise it would be a great idea :)

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 11:20:19 am »

"He doesn't want really different dwarves"... what? Do we really know that?
What if he didn't knew about the Genesis Mod?

And what says that you can't use the castes to segregate, nobles, commoners and slaves?
Like Stone Dwarfs could be all Haulers and/or Miners. Steel Dwarves are made for being the Military caste, they excel in it.
Etc.
I just threw it out there for use.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: I'm not looking for different kinds of dwarves as much as I'm looking to discriminate based on arbitrary criteria for the fun and challenge of it.

That said, yeah, Genesis mod might come into play for a future attempt, since it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 11:24:26 am »

Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: I'm not looking for different kinds of dwarves as much as I'm looking to discriminate based on arbitrary criteria for the fun and challenge of it.
That said, yeah, Genesis mod might come into play for a future attempt, since it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Aaaand I've got a sig quote.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 11:33:17 am »

Aaaand I've got a sig quote.
My first unfair out of context quotation! I feel special. :-D

It's also hilarious.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2011, 03:56:19 pm »

You could add another trait to separate dwarves further.
Artifact-creators. They are people touched by the gods themselves, they deserve the highest of luxury for the rest of their lives, after successfully finishing an artifact they will never again work for the rest of their life.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2011, 08:49:37 pm »

Except in their chosen field, if they feel like it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2011, 10:01:25 pm »

I am very interested in these ideas.  I've tried some things similar to this, but never gotten around to really making them happen.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2011, 10:11:35 pm »

I am very interested in these ideas.  I've tried some things similar to this, but never gotten around to really making them happen.
I've done something similar as well, however around the 50th mark in my population around 60% of the fort would forever be frozen in place spamming me with error messages because they wanted to haul items that were outside of their burrow, or haul items from inside their burrows to somewhere outside their burrow. Either way it was hell, and a lot of people died of dehydration just because they were too stupid to think "Why would I want to help those poor unfortunate plebeians in the slums find something to eat when I can keep all this fine cat tallow roast to myself?"
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.
Pages: 1 [2] 3