Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Volcano in the middle of the ocean  (Read 6625 times)

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
Volcano in the middle of the ocean
« on: July 06, 2011, 12:32:17 pm »

As you can see by the title, I don't mess around. While finding a site on this new world, I saw a volcano in the middle of the ocean. Not on an island. By itself. Luckily, it was only about three squares off of the coast, so I stretched my embark square a little horizontally and embarked.

The volcano in question was actually a few z-levels underground, with an open top. The ocean is currently frozen.

My question to you guys is, WHAT DO?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Volcano in the middle of the ocean
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 12:42:33 pm »

Mine down a shaft to the top of the volcano until you get exposed magma.  Engineer a series of pumps so that you can fill in the entire cavity with molten lava.

Then (assuming you were fast enough) wait for the ocean to melt.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

highzealot

• Bay Watcher
  • BEER FOR THE WOLF LORD...?
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 12:44:58 pm »

Build a bridge over the ocean or a tunnel under it though it seems on reclaim the tunnel gets flooded due to it being under an ocean biome. After that's done get down into the volcano and use it.
Quote from: Corvidae
So here I am, logging into the Bay12 Forums.  I'm not sure whether to feel happy about this, or sullenly admit the loss of what little remained of my soul after all of this Fun.  So much Fun.  So, so much Fun.  <shudders>
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
Re: Volcano in the middle of the ocean (now with !!SCIENCE!!)
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 12:49:21 pm »

Mine down a shaft to the top of the volcano until you get exposed magma.  Engineer a series of pumps so that you can fill in the entire cavity with molten lava.

Then (assuming you were fast enough) wait for the ocean to melt.
The magma is exposed, it's just a few levels lower than the top of the ocean. There is a hole in the top of the ocean in the shape of the volcano. There are ice walls on the level of the ocean that surround the volcano hole.
I would take pictures but I'm not really sure how to upload/put them in a post.
Build a bridge over the ocean or a tunnel under it though it seems on reclaim the tunnel gets flooded due to it being under an ocean biome. After that's done get down into the volcano and use it.
The thing is, I'm worried about what will happen when the ocean melts. I'm guessing a shitload of cave ins from the obsidianizing magma. We will see.

FOR !!SCIENCE!!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 12:51:18 pm »

Build a tunnel through the ice to the volcano. When the ocean thaws, you'll still have access.

You may want to cover the top of the volcano, lest ye suffer from game freeze for an hour when the ocean unfreezes.

If you want to upload images, use img.ie . Super easy. It gives you a URL, just put [ img ] [ /img ] tags around it.

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 01:40:42 pm »

Build a tunnel through the ice to the volcano. When the ocean thaws, you'll still have access.

You may want to cover the top of the volcano, lest ye suffer from game freeze for an hour when the ocean unfreezes.

If you want to upload images, use img.ie . Super easy. It gives you a URL, just put [ img ] [ /img ] tags around it.
Thanks! But if I tunneled through the ice wouldn't the tunnel be flooded once the ocean thaws?

Anyways, here's the picture.

One Z level above is the top of the ocean, covered in snow. One level below is the top of the magma pipe.

Zahariel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 01:55:29 pm »

A shit ton of cave ins from the obsidianized magma is right, along with rather a lot of deadly magma mist until it reaches a steady state. It will eventually convert the entire top level of the magma pipe to obsidian (eventually in real time; it will be nigh instantaneous in game time). The suggestions are to dig a tunnel through the ice and line it with some non-ice material (or heck, even constructed ice will work), so that it will not melt in the summer when the ocean melts. But there's probably no conceivable way you can finish a project like that before summer. Depends on how far away from the coast it is, I guess.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 02:01:02 pm »

Will the ocean thaw though? If it's a Temperate climate, it will, but if it's Cold or Freezing, it might not ever melt, or, if it does, only a month or so. I've had embarks before where a lake or river thaws out just long enough for it turn right around and freeze again. .

Anyway, you could always mine out a square of ice around the cone and construct a retaining wall around it with said ice to hold back the water if it does thaw. Just enable masonry on any dwarves that aren't busy mining. If you have time, you can just any remaining ice to build a bridge back to land.

I'd recommend turning off Cleaning as well. Individual boulders or carved ramps of ice will melt into water that dwarves obsessively clean off well before large bodies of water completely thaw. This has a nasty tendency to result in drowning dwarves.

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 02:04:02 pm »

Turn off temperature for as long as you need to construct a protective cover over your volcano?

highzealot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 02:27:11 pm »

Well i've had water from caverns rush into a volcano and into the magma sea but it did smooth out overtime though water is still pouring in creating a kind of pond above the sea. The point is that when the ice melts, it should settle down eventually. Then you get lots of obsidian and magma forges and smelters.
So here I am, logging into the Bay12 Forums.  I'm not sure whether to feel happy about this, or sullenly admit the loss of what little remained of my soul after all of this Fun.  So much Fun.  So, so much Fun.  <shudders>
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 02:35:14 pm »

You probably can't finish any sort of project before it thaws. I don't think there are any perma-frozen oceans.

You can try turning off cave-ins. That may lessen the computer freeze-up to only half an hour.  :P

Considering the situation, you may want to use DFhack (I think?) to make some tiles covering the volcano, then remove them to do an actual project the next winter. That ensures the game won't completely die, and isn't much cheating.

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 02:40:44 pm »

Yeah, right now I'm just trying to get all of my stocks inside a tunnel before it thaws. Unfortunately my wagon spawned on the ocean :(

And holy shit I almost had a heart attack when the snow melted on top of the ocean, with 6 of my dwarves still on the ice.

EDIT: Ok I think it just thawed. With 5 dwarves on the ice. At least, DF froze and has been frozen for a very long time. I'm just going to let it sit for a while.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 02:52:15 pm by Carpman »

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 03:04:28 pm »

Sweet mother of Armok, how long does it take to process this shit??? DF has been frozen for 25 minutes! Should I be worried?

highzealot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 03:12:21 pm »

Why should you be worried when you are having FUN? Btw, may we have save?

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 03:14:33 pm »

relax, you've got hundreds, if not thousands of individual water squares for the game to suddenly start calculating. it's going to take a while to crunch through all that... add flow into the volcano on top of that and i'd say you might want to go watch a movie or something.

all it takes time... lots and lots of time...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:16:11 pm by andyman564 »
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.
Pages: [1] 2 3