Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Ultimate Segregation Fort  (Read 9449 times)

Shmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Segregation Fort
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2011, 12:18:17 am »

I would think that to fight for the glory of the Empire is an honour that shouldn't be allowed the lowest hauler caste (the heathen aren't even considered, they are but animals). Instead,
a well-run military with soldiers from the middle castes and officers from the nobility (as I believe was the standard in real life class-based societies) should be formed. The lower-castes can form an
emergency militia in times of crisis, but their low status and dubious loyalty to the Empire would preclude their being well-armed or armoured.

The haulers should, especially if they show laziness or insubordination, be made to fight in a colosseum against invaders and captured wild animals for the amusement of the nobility and the middle-castes.
I think the haulers should also be kept in a permanently unhappy state, giving them opportunity to tantrum and thus be made an example of through brutal means.
S = k*log x(rope reed fiber socks)x

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2011, 02:17:38 am »

Past experience has shown me that butcher shops in plain view will cause unhappy thoughts in a large radius when animals are processed. It'll only work for a little while though since your workers will get used to seeing death sooner or later.

More steps would be to simply force them to eat and drink the same thing all the time. Plump helmets and dwarven wine would be a choice. You need workers to keep going anyway. Maybe mess with burrows so your workers will have access to some booze and basic food, while haulers will have to do with water and petty farming?

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2011, 02:26:22 am »

This sounds like PARANOIA, not like a caste society. Give them cheap stuff, yes, but not keep them intentionally unhappy.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2011, 02:49:22 am »

This sounds like PARANOIA, not like a caste society. Give them cheap stuff, yes, but not keep them intentionally unhappy.

Yes keep them intentionally unhappy! If they're happy, what's the point?!

See, your way of thinking would make them equivalent to trash. But that's not good enough! We need to HATE them! And I don't hate my trash (Most of the time anyway), so they have to be kept as unhappy as possible.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".
Pages: 1 2 [3]