Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Volcano in the middle of the ocean  (Read 6695 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Volcano in the middle of the ocean
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 03:15:05 pm »

Why should you be worried when you are having FUN? Btw, may we have save?
If you have one from embark, of course. What with the game being frozen, 5 dwarves about to die, and all that.

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 03:22:46 pm »

Lucky for you guys I always save right after I embark :)

How would I go about uploading this save?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 03:25:19 pm »

Go to DFFD, the Dwarf Fortress File Depot. Make an account, .zip up the save, and upload it. And, of course, post the URL.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 03:28:38 pm »

relax, you've got hundreds, if not thousands of individual water squares for the game to suddenly start calculating. it's going to take a while to crunch through all that... add flow into the volcano on top of that and i'd say you might want to go watch a movie or something.

all it takes time... lots and lots of time...

I've had embarks where when the water melts the game hangs for 10-15 minutes, and that was with a lake, not the ocean, and with no volcano involved.

I suggest a snack.
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 03:34:47 pm »

On the plus side, if the magma obsidianizes now, then you won't have to go through all this again.

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 03:38:47 pm »

It is a lake, not an ocean, sorry. But it takes up most of my map so that might affect it.

Also, for those who wanted my save, it's using the Fortress defense mod. I'm just waiting for it to upload (I'm supposed to upload my entire DF folder right?)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 03:42:42 pm »

It is a lake, not an ocean, sorry. But it takes up most of my map so that might affect it.

Also, for those who wanted my save, it's using the Fortress defense mod. I'm just waiting for it to upload (I'm supposed to upload my entire DF folder right?)
Most people just upload their saves, but with save files so large compared to the base game folder, it doesn't make much of a difference. That helps if you use mods, too.

And if it's a lake, what biome are you in? There's a chance it might be frozen all year. Never mind. Forgot about the mega-game-freeze.

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 03:51:07 pm »

Gah! DF is probably going to unfreeze before it finishes uploading. My slow-ass computer is rebelling.

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 03:52:01 pm »

It unfroze! Now to plow through however many cave-in messages until I can post some screenshots.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 03:52:35 pm »

How many dwarves dead, first off?

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 03:56:33 pm »

How many dwarves dead, first off?
Only three fell into the ocean, somehow. The screen froze on my two miners in the tunnel, so I figured everyone else was caught on the ice. But somehow my woodcutter and one of my farmers ended up on a bank of the lake that was not accessible while the ice was frozen. That is, there was a natural channel separating the ice floor from the grass floor, and these two dwarves somehow jumped over it while DF was frozen.

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 04:06:17 pm »

Sorry for taking so long. Now time for pics!

There actually weren't that many cave-ins. The water generally just created a cap over the pipe, but whenever an obsidian wall was created DIAGONALLY from the already existing walls, it caused a cave-in because it wasn't disconnected. I would explain more but pictures speak a thousand words!

The first level of actual magma, now obsidianized. With mysterious squares of magma that didn't get wet? The next pic might explain it.

This is the level that was originally open space above the magma, one level up from the above pic. Now filled with water and a few squares of obsidian? How did magma get up there?

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 04:11:27 pm »

The save you've all been waiting for: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4635

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2011, 03:40:46 pm »

Just had a giant cave spider nip off my woodcutter's right hand before ripping his throat out, then proceed to butcher my army of war dogs.

THIS MAP IS FUCKING AWESOME

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2011, 04:14:43 pm »

Just had a giant cave spider nip off my woodcutter's right hand before ripping his throat out, then proceed to butcher my army of war dogs.

THIS GAME IS FUCKING AWESOME
Fixed that for you.

I downloaded the map-pack-thing, but completely forgot about it. I'll be playing it later, probably after I finish destroying the landscape around my current fortress. Thanks for uploading it!
Pages: 1 [2] 3