Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unkillable Monster  (Read 2019 times)

Jormundur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unkillable Monster
« on: July 07, 2011, 08:54:41 pm »

So I just got my first really successful adventurer started today and I've done pretty well with him so far. He's a legendary swordsman and has so far managed to kill two dragons, two titans, and an assortment of other beasts. Unfortunately the most recent quest I was given, was to kill a swamp titan. I initially thought I would have no problem with this one until I reached him and discovered that it was a giant creature made out of platinum. My adventurer is also a legendary ambusher so I went and wailed on him for quite awhile and managed to fracture every single part of his body. Unfortunately fracturing seems to be the only thing that I can do to him. Eventually I just left and went to get a quest from a different town but my eventual goal is to kill all of the titans and megabeasts so I need to know if there's some way for me to kill this monstrosity whether it's a different weapon or a new strategy.
I'm having money troubles so they disconnected my internet at home... No way to post outside of work. :\ Thankfully I work from 10 AM to 6 PM EST, though its 6:45 and I'm still at the office. (Manager, I can stay as long as I want, hehe)

...And yes, I'm here just to post on B12 in RP posts. Can't get geekier than that.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: Unkillable Monster
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 08:56:18 pm »

Get an axe made of adamantine, or a hammer made of platinum. Get to legendary in the respective skill, and then go for head shots and nothing but.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 09:24:30 pm »

Pick up fluffy wamblers or other small creatures (corpses, vomit, blood work too). Recruit as many soldiers as possible, and get throwing.

Eventually it'll work.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 09:37:08 pm »

There are no truly unkillable monsters in DF. Even the seemingly impossible ones, like the one you're facing, can be killed by accumulated damage. Just keep fracturing and eventually it'll die.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 06:09:52 pm »

Or a cavein...or freezing...or obsidianing...or modding...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 08:56:05 pm »

I suggest just holding down a direction key to attack random parts until you get a lucky shot and break something off.

RayesKotrora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 11:18:46 pm »

If you're able to fracture it, then just keep attacking the same spot over and over until it severs (fracture damage on inorganic material accumulates). Rinse and repeat.

Och skänk henne dessa vinflaskor in bed henne dricka all sorg ur sitt sinn.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 11:21:22 pm »

Building off the above, if you can reliably hit the lower body, go for that part exclusively, and eventually you will bisect the creature, which is fatal to everything. This is, of course, assuming the creature *has* a lower body.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 04:20:57 am »

i once encountered a forest titan made of clear diamonds...killed it with a chestnut training axe

everything is killable just keep hacking away at it

Jormundur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 08:25:51 am »

Ok thanks. To me it just seemed like nothing additional would ever happen.
I'm having money troubles so they disconnected my internet at home... No way to post outside of work. :\ Thankfully I work from 10 AM to 6 PM EST, though its 6:45 and I'm still at the office. (Manager, I can stay as long as I want, hehe)

...And yes, I'm here just to post on B12 in RP posts. Can't get geekier than that.