Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civilizations  (Read 1721 times)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Civilizations
« on: July 10, 2011, 11:58:39 am »

Hello. I just created a new world and noticed that there are quite many human and elf options available at startup, but no dwarven ones. What implications this has for Dwarf Mode gameplay?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Civilizations
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 12:53:05 pm »

Well, if you try to start a fortress everything will go just fine. You just won't get any migrants after the mandatory first two waves, because your civilization is dead. You will be stuck with however many dwarves those two waves brought, which usually puts you at around 15-20 total. Then it's up to you to ensure that your dwarves marry and have copious amounts of children. Just keep them all alive and happy and let the fortress idle for around 15 years and you should start to see the dwarven race repopulate. Refrain from contact with the outside world, I suppose.

Then, retire the fortress and the civ you used will probably be able to restart the civ entirely, making you able to create a new, normal fortress with migrants and traders coming from the old one, and maybe even adventurers.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 12:57:12 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Elaxter

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy you don't know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 01:42:14 pm »

Well, if you try to start a fortress everything will go just fine. You just won't get any migrants after the mandatory first two waves, because your civilization is dead. You will be stuck with however many dwarves those two waves brought, which usually puts you at around 15-20 total. Then it's up to you to ensure that your dwarves marry and have copious amounts of children. Just keep them all alive and happy and let the fortress idle for around 15 years and you should start to see the dwarven race repopulate. Refrain from contact with the outside world, I suppose.

Then, retire the fortress and the civ you used will probably be able to restart the civ entirely, making you able to create a new, normal fortress with migrants and traders coming from the old one, and maybe even adventurers.

Dwarf Fortress: Where you can start a new civilization from hard work
Sig
You must kill yourself before you kills you.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 01:49:31 pm »

So, my suspicions are confirmed. I think I'll just create a whole new world, I'm not experienced enough to handle to world of weird humans and filthy elves.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Tlc2011

• Bay Watcher
  • ..No idea what to put here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 05:42:58 pm »

USE RUMRUSHER'SERIC BLANK'S SUGGESTION, KAY12.

OR I'LL SEND THE MONSTER OF BUTTOCKS AFTER YOU.

Tlc2011

• Bay Watcher
  • ..No idea what to put here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 05:44:00 pm »

USE RUMRUSHER'S ERIC BLANK'S SUGGESTION, KAY12.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 06:09:24 pm »

all the worlds i have genned (3) have had human civilizations devoid of soldiers... every single fort was abandoned. adventuring was significantly less fun because of this, but i also noticed a certain trend, i was testing my cpu when doing this so i genned a pocket world, a small world and a medium world, the pocket world was overrun bu=y elves with no other civilization in existance, while the small one had all elves and one human civ, the medium one had multiple human and elf civs, although i only genned it half as long as the other two and only 2 dwarf civs. it seems to me that in the long run, because of their immortality and mass breeding opperations elves usually outlast all the competition. especially on a world so small there is no place to hide.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 07:08:41 pm »

That seems likely.

Mod elves to grow up later (~10x later than humans?), that'll likely help. Either that or give them max ages.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 01:18:37 am »

USE RUMRUSHER'SERIC BLANK'S SUGGESTION, KAY12.

I ALREADY HAD HIM!

No, seriously, it *might* be fun to try. If it really works that way, it has the added benefit that I'll be able to control which resources my civ has access to...