Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Other games like LCS?  (Read 15918 times)

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Other games like LCS?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 01:44:50 am »

Dude, Syndicate has been mentioned in this thread 3 TIMES (5 now counting this mention)

It was already mentioned Twice by me, and the second time I Bolded and Italicized the title like this!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 01:46:44 am by Reelyanoob »

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, 01:45:54 am »

Evil Genius predates Mastermind: World Conqueror; the irony is that the vastly lower budget Mastermind: World Conqueror is a somewhat better themed game. It's a much less mechanically and technically ambitious design, though.

Evil Genius was by the Dungeon Keeper guy btw (who also created the Populous, Black & White and Fable series), Peter Molyneux.

So, he already had the "dig a base, play the bad guy" theme in Dungeon Keeper. Evil Genius just sets it in a James Bond type universe rather than D&D type universe.

Evil Genius is a Dungeon Keeper clone, but it's not by Molyneux. The studio that developed it was founded by another guy who worked on the Dungeon Keeper team with Molyneux, though, so that's probably what you were thinking of.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2011, 01:46:08 am »

Dude, it's been mentioned 3 TIMES NOW

Twice by me, and the second time I Bolded and Italicized the title like this!
Buried in the middle of your post :P

It deserves better.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2011, 01:48:31 am »

Hmm, still more games like LCS? At least I've got a mental connection between LCS and GLA (Global Liberation Army, from Command and Conquer:Generals).

1. Both are associated with the color green
2. Both are terrorists
3. GLA is the Global LIBERATION Army
Extra points for both organizations for being extremely ridiculous, LCS intentionally and GLA probably not.

Oh yeah, then there's that game where you must conquer the world for your syndicate, but I can't remember the name of the game.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2011, 01:55:43 am »

Well I thought for completeness I might list a couple more classic "tactical" games

Jagged Alliance

And the roots of the X-Com series:

Rebelstar (I had this in the 80's na-na-na!)
Laser Squad

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2011, 06:36:33 am »

Dude, it's been mentioned 3 TIMES NOW

Twice by me, and the second time I Bolded and Italicized the title like this!
Buried in the middle of your post :P

It deserves better.

When I saw him mention that it had already been mentioned, I went back, and found he was right, although I think I skimmed over it when I thought I'd understood he was talking about X-Com[1].  Anyway, shows that it was worth mentioning, yes? :)

(Great minds think alike.  Fools never differ...)

[1] Which, by the way, has a freeware 'inspired by' game called "UFO: Alien Invasion".  Although I'm not too convinced this really satisfies the OP's criteria, it reminds me that I must go and see if there's been any more developed content since I last downloaded UFA:AI.  Are we able to take the battle to Mars yet?

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2011, 08:30:04 am »

I guess this thread is full of people who don't play popular games (me included)...

Hi everybody. So, I was wondering, are there any other games out there that are anything at all like LCS? I mean strategy/tactical/rpg games where you can assembly a bunch guerrilla squads and order them to go about killing people and causing general mayhem in a urban setting.

And no one suggested GTA: San Andreas?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2011, 09:23:36 pm »

I'm just really surprised no one has mentioned Syndicate yet!

Also, from the other side (ie evil MI5 suppressing terrorists, defusing political embarrasments via kidnapping, torture and murder,etc.) there's Floor 13, too bad every time I played it I sooner or later hit some bugged plotline that killed the campaign :(

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2011, 09:31:20 pm »

Hi everybody. So, I was wondering, are there any other games out there that are anything at all like LCS? I mean strategy/tactical/rpg games where you can assembly a bunch guerrilla squads and order them to go about killing people and causing general mayhem in a urban setting.

I was going too, but it's not really LCS-y, if you get what I mean.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 12:20:56 am »

I was going too, but it's not really LCS-y, if you get what I mean.

It quite well hits the OP's criteria (causing mayhem with a group of terrorists, RPG and tactical shooter elements) but yeah, I get what you mean.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 12:25:35 am »

That's why I mentioned Just Cause, like GTA but with "overthrow the government" storyline. They're selling that in a double-pack with Deus Ex now oddly enough.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 12:27:22 am by Reelyanoob »

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 12:28:29 am »

By the way, judging by the popularity of mafia movies, I find it odd that there are very few games centering on organized crime. I don't mean GTA-style mafia hitman games, but games where you actually run the mafia. Like LCS, but instead of revolution, you try to make money and destroy rival crime syndicates...

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2011, 12:33:47 am »

Well gangsters is very close, with the daily schedules for your "hoods" but ultimately I found it to be a sucky game, not as good as Republic or LCS.

EDIT: reviews seem to disagree, giving gansters 4/5 stars on IGN

http://au.pc.ign.com/objects/010/010459.html

And here's Eidos's "demo reel" for the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OwTQJqBMmA

Personally, the game looks good but lacked something for me. I have the CD version though, maybe I'll load it up again one day. Might have played it on "easy" level and beat it too quick. Maybe ramping up the difficulty really high (with settings or mods) would make it more fun.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 12:44:39 am by Reelyanoob »

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2011, 12:53:54 am »

Well, it's a matter or making one myself then!

After I do everything else I have scheduled, that is... I really don't need to procrastinate simultaneously on several projects.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2011, 01:24:01 am »

I just started watching the "Let's Play" for the existing Gangsters game. They guy said he's a big fan of the game, having played it for 11 years, but 30 seconds into the start of Let's Play the host says the game has a "big flaw" - it has a turn-based mode like LCS then switches to a real-time phase (which you have to sit through, bored). So even huge fans say it's shit. :P

(Hmm the guy says that after 10 years he can only beat "mission 1" of the game. It's been a while maybe that's why I stopped playing. Now i'm tempted to try and beat it!)

So basically rip-off Gangsters/LCS/Republic but without the suckage factor Republic and Gangsters had.

Start by adding more crimes (robberies, arson, extortion), and a "block control map"  to LCS. Make the CCS the basis for rival gangs. Maybe "crime mode" can be an extension of LCS itself.

I'll help out, once I've warmed up by porting that Holdfast game (it's only 500 lines of code, pfft - nothing!)

And since I own a copy of Gansgters already, I can give it a play-through and dissect anything worthwhile to "borrow"
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 01:34:37 am by Reelyanoob »
Pages: 1 [2] 3