Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sumpf Valley - 4v4 CoH Map v1.0 (Image heavy)  (Read 9206 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Sumpf Valley - 4v4 CoH Map v1.0 (Image heavy)
« on: July 10, 2011, 05:59:30 am »

Download it here.

This is a large-size 4v4 map for Company of Heroes, entitled "Sumpf (Swamp) Valley." It consists of a deep valley wherein lies a small town that's been flooded by the river. Narrow, canyon-like roads wind their way up the mountain to either side's deployment area, and lines of hedgerows, marshy areas and choke points galore provide ample opportunities for ambushes and stubborn defense. For those who battle over the flooded town and surrounding islands, prepare for waist-deep water slowing you down and leaving infantry exposed to enemy fire.

November, 1944 - Seeking a way into Germany through mountain passes from the North, the U.S 8th Infantry and 7th Armored Divisions encountered elements of the 12th Germany Infantry and 6th Panzer Divisions at Sumpf Valley, a marshy low-lying valley split by a shallow river. Securing the valley would ensure a path for Northern Allied forces to invade straight into the heart of Germany. Failure would mean giving the German Army a secure pass from which they could launch attacks into the southern flank of the Allied invasion force pushing East.

Neither force wanted to fight in the valley. Under normal conditions, it would prove difficult for an army to navigate through its winding and ancient roads. With the onset of a wet fall, roads turned to sludge and the valley became a quagmire as the river level rose, slowing infantry and armor to a crawl as both armies fought savagely across the wreckage of a small fishing town.

"We were soaked from the minute we got there until the day it ended. Between the rain and the fog you couldn't see clearly more than 20 yards in front of you. With the thunder and the artillery going on day and night, no one slept. Couldn't. I thought we were in Hell. But Hell was when we finally pushed into the town. The gore and horror of war mixed with the mud into a paste, a film that coated the town's water ways. We fought through every inch of that stuff until our clothes were caked in it, saturated. All the rain in the world couldn't wash the death off us. -Cpl. Josh Wilks, U.S. 8th Infantry
"

Spoiler: The battlefield (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Men of War (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: A hilltop Redoubt (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Allied Horde (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Or not (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Delicious gibblets! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sherman is God! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: MABASPLOOM! (click to show/hide)

Instructions for installing the map are included in the d/l from Moddb. Questions, comments, criticisms are all welcome.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 07:04:09 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sumpf Valley - 4v4 CoH Map
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 03:46:25 am »

The file may not be approved on moddb for a little while, but keep checking back if it's not.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 11:41:06 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 04:46:55 am »

Don't have Company of Heroes, but this both looks nice and seems like a pretty original idea.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 09:06:28 am »

Whoa, this is an RTS? At first I thought this was some awesome FPS map.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 03:25:59 pm »

Yep, it's an RTS. This is the reason I still play Company of Heroes YEARS after buying it and finishing it. Its map creator is un-paralleled, and you can take the camera down to that level in the game as well as in the editor. I've never put as much time or effort into so many maps as with this thing. The WC3 Map Editor seems like an Etch-A-Sketch compared to it.

If you think it looks neat now, just wait til there are 75 Nazi troops and vehicles crawling all over it, and artillery raining down from the sky exploding them into hamburger.

I plan to do some "before/after" shots once it's completed.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 03:46:51 pm by nenjin »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 04:46:55 pm »

Question: did you draw all of dem dere textures yourself?

Anyway, the map could certainly be improved with one thing: more smooth, realistic shadows. Well, not the map, the viewing of it, but you get the idea.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 05:32:24 pm »

Question: did you draw all of dem dere textures yourself?

Oh hell no. All that is in game assets (another reason why the editor is so great. More objects, splat textures, tile textures, looks, variations....than you can shake a stick at. It's the reason I've made 4 complete maps and never exhausted the artistic possibilities.)

Anyway, the map could certainly be improved with one thing: more smooth, realistic shadows. Well, not the map, the viewing of it, but you get the idea.

A few things.

1. The editor allows you to view at at a height scale that you can't do in the normal game. so all the textures, objects, shadows ect...suffer severe scaling. In game the camera is locked to under a certain height, so 80% of everything you see in game is rendered to a higher standard. I cropped the last set of images, but if I hadn't you'd have seen those are editor screen shots, unlike the first, which is in-game.

2. All the atmospheric and lighting properties of the map haven't been fooled with yet. The default is high noon and some fog value, and that skybox. While the shadows don't get much higher quality than that, they can and will get more dramatic as I fool with the angle of the sun and tweak the sunlight color value. Shadows look pretty decent at the in-game level at the correct height. At lower (in-game) or higher (in the editor) zoom levels they tend to break down.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 06:11:12 pm »

About what I figured, just was interested in whether or not nicer shadows and rendering would be available in game.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 08:53:07 pm »

Getting close to the 1.0 version of the map. Still a bit of detail work to do, lighting and effects to fool with, and then going over the map with a fine tooth comb for last minute additions and tweaking. So here's the last couple screen shots you'll probably see without all the rain, lightning and yadda yadda.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 07:44:10 am »

This is a pretty sexy looking map. I love fighting through towns in CoH. All that carnage and all those craters...
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 03:41:56 am »

Veeeeerrryyyy close to being done, just want a full day of tweaking and stuff and it should be ready for d/l.

In the mean time....LIGHTNING! THUNDAH!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll have some more game-y screen shots to go along with the release.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sumpf Valley - 4v4 CoH Map v1.0 (Image heavy)
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 11:42:46 pm »

Ok, it's ready (more or less.) I debated doing more detail outside the playable area, but figured it's bogging down my PC pretty bad when you pan out for long views....less is probably more in this instance. Still, I'll revisit the map as I and others find problems.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 06:42:10 pm »

Well that took way longer than it should have :P

It's now finally available for d/l in the link in the first post.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 11:05:48 pm »

Congrats, nenjin! Getting my new laptop soonish, gonna possibly try this game out. Only problem is I'm terrible at RTS games.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 02:41:02 am »

Just put the AIs on easy. Basically the AI seems unable to get much farther than the central town without help, even up to normal. There's so many guys running around on this map, it's pretty easy as the only human player to sit back and take it at your own pace.
Pages: [1] 2