Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tell me about armor  (Read 1146 times)

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
Tell me about armor
« on: July 10, 2011, 07:05:13 pm »

What's better, an iron mask or an iron cap? You can apparently wear both with a helm. Nothing about it on the wiki.

Also, why do low boots even exist?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 07:22:37 pm by JohnieRWilkins »
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: Tell me about armor
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 07:07:42 pm »

I always go with
Head: Helm, Cap. If I have a mask, I wear it instead because I figure it looks cool.
But I do think that masks might be preferable. I'm not sure, to be honest. You can probably figure out just by checking the RAWs.
Body: Chainmail, Plate, Cloak/Jacket
Arms: Gauntlets, Gloves
Legs: Leggings, Greaves (If I can manage to get both equipped, as sometimes I can't. If not, just greaves)
Feet:Socks, High Boots
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

iFreshco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 10:31:37 pm »

Nothing on the wiki?  Are you sure you even checked df.magmawiki.com, and not wikipedia.org?

The list below is copied straight from magmawiki.  For dwarves I assume you change the items to "small" and high boots to low boots.  As for what they have listed for upper body armor, you have to subtract some as I think backpacks take space.  Anyways, the permit and size that this game sets for clothing and equipment allows for a great deal of stacking, ie 20 shirts.

Head
2 x caps
1 x helm
6 x hood

Upper Body
1 x breastplate
3 x mail shirts
6 x cloaks

Upper Body (cheap)
6 x dress
3 x robe
3 x cloak

Lower Body
3 x long skirts
1 x greaves

Lower Body (no foreign items)
2 x trousers
1 x greaves

Lower Body (cheap)
2 x trousers
1 x leggings

Hands
1 x pairs of gauntlets
1 x pairs of mittens

Hands (cheap)
2 x pairs of gloves
1 x pairs of mittens

Feet
1 x pairs of chausses (These are basically armored socks)
1 x pairs of high boots

Feet (no foreign items)
1 x pairs of socks
1 x pairs of high boots

Feet (cheap)
1 x pairs of socks
1 x pairs of shoes

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 10:36:23 pm »

I'm pretty sure that masks are the only things that a) can cover the face and b) can be made of metal. Also, agreed on the "masks look cooler" sentiment.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 10:37:18 pm »

iFreshco did you have this thread open for 3 hours and 30 minutes without refreshing? I edited op as soon as I posted basically.

ImBocaire, helms cover the face.
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 10:45:31 pm »

Helms are better merely because they have more coverage and thus more protection from the elements. Mind you, there shouldn't be anything stopping you from wearing both at once.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 11:09:06 pm »

Helms are better merely because they have more coverage and thus more protection from the elements. Mind you, there shouldn't be anything stopping you from wearing both at once.
The question isn't about helms. You can wear a helm with EITHER two caps or ??two?? masks.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 11:14:34 pm »

Apologies, something confused me. In that case... it doesn't make a great deal of difference. The cap technically allows for more layers under it than the mask, but that's a moot point as there's nothing small enough to bridge the gap between the two (mask has 10 and cap 15; all the helm sizes are multiples of 10). Otherwise they're identical other than the "slot" they use.

It's helm and one mask, by the way.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 11:29:12 pm »

Apologies, something confused me. In that case... it doesn't make a great deal of difference. The cap technically allows for more layers under it than the mask, but that's a moot point as there's nothing small enough to bridge the gap between the two (mask has 10 and cap 15; all the helm sizes are multiples of 10). Otherwise they're identical other than the "slot" they use.

It's helm and one mask, by the way.
Unless you've modded in, like, monocles or something. *cough**cough*
But...uh...if you hypothetically did do that, monocles would be worthless as a defense item anyways.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

iFreshco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 12:21:20 am »

I'd assume what the wiki says is in terms of how much you can wear total, but it may be in how well armoured you are.  I don't know size and permit of masks off the top of my head so I usually go with caps to make sure I get all the extra hoods for a bit more all around protection.

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 12:33:42 am »

masks are better because it covers the face but youre still dead if you encounter epic lashers as blunt damage goes through armor