Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Darkwood - top-down survival horror. Beta 3.0. Full release on August 17th!  (Read 21574 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

So what do you do about shadows, specifically when:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I still think shadows are a dumb idea. What good is a generator and lights and enough gasoline to set the forest on fire if they just take lights from you at a whim?

That said giving you an unlimited amount of time at dawn to get yourself organized is a god send compared to how all that inventory managing ate into your day before.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 03:46:45 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile

When the shadows appear, all but one of your lamps will go out. You have to keep moving. Torches get put out if you're already in their effect, so they're useless there.

Also, if you hear persistent knocking on your door, and that knocking eventually gets louder...

Open it.

Seriously.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 09:17:53 am by Blaze »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Last time I did that....

Also I like how the game pitches itself as "Defend the house" when in reality what they mean is "Run through a dark and unsecured house at random like a crazy person because we've added all this stupid shit for expressly that purpose."

If they honestly expect you to barricade every single room of the house and then run hotlaps through it because of all this random shit, I may be done with this game. Because that is a bunch of dumb busy work brought on by unassailable mechanics like those fucking shadows or the fucking corruption bugs. Like, I'm seriously supposed to run out to the fucking generator shack because "oh only one light stays on"? Or run around every room all night in case the bug shows up? Dumb. And gamey. It totally undercuts all the defensive preparations when you have to run outside of them because the game tells you that you have to.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 10:53:23 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Decided to revisit this and maybe finally finish Chapter 1...

And I am totally stuck now.

After taking Dose 3....

edit

NM, I restarted the game and it restarted the dream. I simply walked the wrong direction. You'd think they'd not just put infinite blackness in every direction except the correct one though......
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 05:37:23 pm by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Haven't beaten Chapter 1 went. About to venture out into the Old Woods which is the farthest I've made it in the in game in many many builds.

Overall, this game has come quite a ways since Alpha 5ish.

There's two things that have really altered game balance for the playable IMO: the crafting stations and The Three.

Spoilers ahead.

Previously resource management in Darkwood was a huge pain in the ass. It's not that the game itself was hard, it's just there was a lot of busy work and knowledge about how it worked to make it playable. You'd have a house littered with piles of consumables because you lacked the storage space for them. Knowing what you had was a real problem sometimes, and knowing what you needed or what made what took a lot of time and experimentation. Time you didn't have. Now, the crafting bench simplifies all that by giving you a nice clear menu, and a lot of storage space. And The Three basically ensure that, as long as you manage to not die a few nights a week you can have enough gas to keep the generator running, or you can buy up the 1 or 2 of some common item you need to round out your gear and actually grow your reserves instead of just maintain them. (Torches, batteries, wire for lock picks, alcohol for molotovs, weapon components, bandages, etc...) With The Three, now most of the stuff I find in the world is "profit", while the rep and trading I do with them is enough to replenish what I use. The fact they spawn directly in front of your oven everyday just makes it nice and simple and straightforward. Surviving isn't a matter of luck or drops or tedious, time consuming supply runs anymore, which I'm thankful for.

I didn't get my first death until I'd left Dry Meadows. Once I hit the Silent Forest the deaths started to rack up, mostly because of the Huge Dogs (who seem to be able to run underneath any pushable piece of furniture.) Fuck those things. They seem to be able to attack faster than most of the "advanced" melee weapons in game can wind up a swing.

Now on Day 26....the night events have really ramped up. To the point where I'm getting packs of Savages, Huge Dogs, Beetles, Poltergeists AND Banshees all on the same night. Due to the way I've fortified the second hideout, it's generally been pretty easy. I barricade two doors leading into the kitchen, then pile as much moveable furniture in front of them as possible, leaving the window facing the generator shack as the only entrance. Then I sit aways back from the window with a gun and shoot anything that comes through it. Bear traps on the back sides of the barricaded doors ensure that if anything does manage to break through I can get a couple shots on hits on them before they break free.

The moveable furniture in front of the barricaded doors really goes a long way toward making the AI ignore them, it seems. Or if not ignore, then spend most of their time walking into piles of moveable objects that can't go anywhere, effectively tying up the spawn. Probably 80% of the time the 'concealed' doors never get attacked and I've not yet had one fully broken in by an enemy since I started doing it this way. The Poltergeist/Earthquake which moves around moveable objects can sometimes shift enough of the objects that a door gets cleared and guys do start attacking it. But that's pretty rare. It's not fool proof but it basically makes most nights for me. I'd tried it originally with just the furniture to the north and no rebuilt, barricaded door. It kept everything out but the dogs so I eventually had to close it off.

So you'd think guys would try the open window instead. As the only real entrance into the house with a clear path you'd think they'd immediately path to it, but no. I watch savages and dogs path and even stop in front of the window constantly but only occasionally decide to come in.

Between those two realities, I have like an 80 to 90% survival rate on nights. That said....

My biggest complaint with night events is still those goddamn beetles. I had four! spawn one night in the two rooms I defend. Even after killing all of them immediately upon spawning, there were apparently others that laid crap down all over the house. When beetles get chosen for the night it ends up costing me between 2 and 4 molotov cocktails to clear out the critical spaces. It's also annoying because they keep walking into my bear traps after they spawn. Which does the job I suppose but bear traps are not cheap to replace. The corruption they spread even grows through walls! It's so annoying. So far it's manageable because I have a sufficiently large stockpile, but only because I scavenged everything I could to do so, and used trade with The Three to cover the shortfalls. It's a precarious balance though, that could easily shift back toward earlier builds where you just got completely fucked by those things. They are the only part of the spooks and scares and challenges of this game I still don't like, because they seem to work counter to theme of barricading and securing your house. Surviving this long has definitely taught me that once the clock hits 8:00pm, your ass does not go outside, even within the boundaries of your hideout. I had one night where I killed a Banshee outside my window and ran out to loot its corpse....big mistake. I had no less than 4 of 5 enemies rushed me once I stepped outside. I ended up running around the outside of my house in the pitch black (other than the circle of flame with a body in the middle that some thoughtful soul left behind in my yard) to get away and narrowly avoided getting killed climbing back in the window. Night ended seconds after that. So yeah. Running willy nilly through a multiroom house with 6 to 8 windows and doors that have to be barricaded and are guaranteed to get broken during the night does not seem to be how you win this game....yet it's what some of their monsters seems to want you to do. Beetles feel like an admission that they can't really stop a player who is well prepared in defense, so, here's a fucking nightly resource tax to make up the difference.

Other than that they've really fleshed out Chapter 1 in terms of content. There's a whole side area to it now with a good half hour or hour of stuff to do relating to the "main quest." Things like the Pigs and Chicken Lady all have context now so their quests and creepiness make WAY more sense than they did in previous builds. They're still weird and creepy but now they're weird and creepy with a purpose.

All in all the game feels easier for a veteran now since so much streamlining has gone on. Resource management, resource gathering are much simpler and take much less time to do, and the dawn break where you get yourself organized means you no longer feel the constant time pressure just trying to manage your shit. That said, melee combat can still be touch and go though. Fighting multiple opponents in melee is still more or less out of the question unless you're fighting in the open. Fighting inside your house at night against multiple opponents seems difficult to downright impossible. I guess that's one advantage of protecting a larger space, is that you have room to move. Ranged though, has seemed to come into its own. I didn't use many guns in previous builds because ammo was so expensive and rare. But after crafting the pistol and buying new mags from The Three every other day or so, combat when it counts feels a lot easier. (Banshees take exactly one shot to bring down with it. Huge dogs, savages, 2. I imagine Chompers might take 3.) I prefer to use a gun in most instances now, because melee still pretty much sucks. Every weapon is slow as fuck, even their "quick attack", and many attacks with different weapons drain a ton of stamina. Which is fine when you're fighting one enemy in the open during the day, because you can study their animations and time your attacks and dodges accordingly. But in any sort of dark conditions, in tight spaces, with a melee weapon against more than one foe....you don't have the time for that and the game is visually not clear enough to help you. The enemies aggressively leap frog their attacks and rush you constantly, and the impact cancels out your swings, so it's very hard to get any damage in....or just maneuver without getting hit.

Humorously they added throwable rocks as a basic ranged weapon too. And they are....the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. Their projectile speed and range is about 1/2 that of the rocks thrown by savages. So in practice it looks like the worst stereotype of a kid whose dad never taught them to throw. Your rock falls to the ground after a couple feet and literally rolls into enemies doing very minor damage. Maybe I'm not doing it right but if so, it's not clear how you're supposed to throw rocks because the default attack is a joke. There's also throwable knives now, which are items with durability that a) don't stack and b) can't be repaired. I.e, they're worthless. Good damage and execution but unfeasible since they're a random drop.

I swear, I've never played a game with this much combat where your character was deliberately handicapped this bad. I know it's supposed to make the combat intense and deadly because every enemy can kill you if you don't play collected and calm. But shit like the rocks is just downright pathetic. Combat is engaging, don't get me wrong. The main character just feels comically slow and deliberate in everything they do while your enemies attack you like fuckin' mad men.

Anyways, yeah. Rediscovered my love of Darkwood even though it took me a while. Now to head north to the Old Woods and see what dankness awaits me there...... 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 05:20:40 pm by nenjin »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

how's drm?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

how's drm?

I've got it on Steam, so. Unless you mean something else?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Sometimes steam games dont actually need steam to run. Tbats what I was asking... I try to avoid it if possible.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And so it was that Darkwood, which feels like it has been in Early Access forever, approaches its final release. I've played I'd say about 70% of the game at this point and am more or less pleased with it throughout. The stuff they've been doing the last year or so has really bulked out the game experience.

Patch notes below. This is, according to them, the last big update before release.

Spoiler: Patchwood (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]