Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1411896 times)

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10500 on: October 16, 2014, 09:48:13 am »

I'm with stupid |
                      v

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10501 on: October 16, 2014, 09:55:56 am »

Tbh orbiting very low is always annoying since it limits the available timewarps

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10502 on: October 16, 2014, 11:53:52 am »

Argh. Got a campaign mission to snatch a random Kerbal from orbit. Managed to line up the orbit to within 0.1km... And then couldn't do jack after that and watched him overshoot and wave as he disappeared.

If only I could control said useless Kerbit.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10503 on: October 16, 2014, 12:02:29 pm »

Argh. Got a campaign mission to snatch a random Kerbal from orbit. Managed to line up the orbit to within 0.1km... And then couldn't do jack after that and watched him overshoot and wave as he disappeared.

If only I could control said useless Kerbit.
If you get your ship close enough to the Kerbal, you can control him.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10504 on: October 16, 2014, 12:10:02 pm »

With a right-click, or do I have to go into orbital view?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10505 on: October 16, 2014, 12:12:20 pm »

With a right-click, or do I have to go into orbital view?

]

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10506 on: October 16, 2014, 12:45:22 pm »

Yeah, the [ and ] keys swap between nearby vessels.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10507 on: October 16, 2014, 01:31:01 pm »

Question: is the following the most efficient way of reducing horizontal speed when landing on a body without air?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Because my rescue mission will not have enough delta V left after that manoeuvre D:

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #10508 on: October 16, 2014, 01:52:09 pm »

I'm pretty sure that might be the least efficient maneuver. Try performing a maneuver at apoapsis instead. You could always just have them jetpack there. Worst case scenario, you just need another rescue rescue mission.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10509 on: October 16, 2014, 01:53:20 pm »

at that point you might as well hyperedit the mun into 80k orbit

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10510 on: October 16, 2014, 01:54:19 pm »

But if I do it at the Ap my horizontal speed won't be decreased to 0 OR I won't end up at Jeb's landing site :?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10511 on: October 16, 2014, 01:56:12 pm »

The way you have things set up, I don't think there's any possible way for you to land.

For future reference, landing the way you're trying to wastes a lot of fuel due to gravity. The most efficient way to land is to get as low an orbit as possible and then cancel out your horizontal velocity when you're passing over the target.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10512 on: October 16, 2014, 01:57:06 pm »

That's what I did the first time, but my orbit didn't line up right.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #10513 on: October 16, 2014, 01:59:05 pm »

You don't need to kill all your horizontal velocity in one go like that. Apoapsis retro until you have a trajectory that just overshoots them. Then just kill your velocity diagonally. Corners do very bad things to your dV.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10514 on: October 16, 2014, 02:01:59 pm »

Welp, I'll just head back and then try again :P
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 848